Question about Lead and Brass

Dingo

TGT Supporter
May 27, 2021
North Texas
I have accumulated about 80 pounds of lead ingots and about 80 pounds of brass slabs. My question is whether anyone has, or considered using brass for casting bullets?
i am trying to decide what to do with all od the brass I accum during a year. I usually give away about 200 pounds, but was thinking it might be used as bullets, what do the experts say?
Thanks

Axxe55

MIA-BOLO.
Dec 15, 2019
Nowhere.....Just here in East Texas.
I have no idea if it's still a thing or not, but some benchrest shooters would take brass rods on a lathe and turn their own bullets.

If you were going to make cast brass bullets, you would need a forge, or foundry to be able to melt and then pour the molten brass into some sort of casting of some sort.

Lead is actually fairly simpler to melt and cast.

Just guessing, it's possible, but you would have to determine if the amount of work was worth the effort to go that route to make bullets from cast brass.

There are some videos on YouTube about making a foundry for home, and some on casting brass you might search out and watch.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
Lifetime Member
Oct 4, 2013
Gunz are icky.
Casting solid brass bullets will take some serious equipment.
It would be easier to machine them on a lathe.
In the past there have been a couple of companies that sold a bullet forming set up that uses various brass casing and lead core wire to for bullets.
IIRC, 9mm brass was used to make .40cal bullets. 22lr brass made .224 bullets. Etc.
Corbin was the name I think.

Dingo

TGT Supporter
May 27, 2021
North Texas
I have melted and poured my own lead bullets when I shot more black powder. So I am familiar with lead, but have not researched the melting point of brass.
just curious if anyone else had look into it.
in a SHTF scenario, lead may be had to come by? Just trying to think outside the box

Axxe55

MIA-BOLO.
Dec 15, 2019
Nowhere.....Just here in East Texas.
The melting point on the brass is probably going to depend on the alloy of the brass. IIRC, most brass melts in excess of 1500 to 1600 degrees. So if you are wanting to cast brass, you would need a pretty hot foundry.

Kayt00

TGT Supporter
Jan 1, 2021
North DFW
There is also the possibility of swaging a brass bullet using a press and dies, or using the brass as a jacket then filling with lead. I have done neither the first of which is just an idea, the other I've seen videos of it being done.

rp-

TGT Addict
Apr 11, 2010
converse
Sell the brass and buy more lead. Or solid copper bullets if desired.
I agree. Brass scrap prices are up. Take it to the recycling center and get some cash. Then buy lead to cast. Life.will be much simpler.

As for brass you accumulate during a year, sell it to reloaders if you aren't reloading it yourself.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Dingo

TGT Supporter
May 27, 2021
North Texas
i typically give my brass and copper to a customer, who in turn is now giving me lead. But I do think it would be better to have the lead.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
May 28, 2008
Mustang Ridge
Belt Mountain had their “Punch” bullets that were solid brass. I believe the were milled and not cast. I still have a box of their 45-70 and .357 mag from Grizzly Ammunition. It is very gnarly stuff.

Top Bottom