Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...my plan is to transition from regular Diet Coke to the caffeine-free version, and then to substitute water for every other drink.
    I tried to do that a while back but the taste of caffeine-free Diet Coke was just too awful.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ... An occasional Mexican coke ...
    ...is heaven on earth. :)

As for caffeine I have one cup of coffee per day, its a full 14 oz cup, then the rest of the day I drink non-caffeine ...
    That's an option, a jolt in the morning to get me going and then be a good boy the rest of the day.

That's what I tried yesterday.

My goal, though, is to leave the stuff behind completely.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Ben you don't have to do this in one day. Just make a plan ...
    I understand and agree. I had one yesterday and I'll have one today. At least I don't have to trudge down to the methadone clinic and beg for my hit. :)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Caffeine causes an insulin response just like carbs (sugar). I was a huge diet coke and ice tea drinker.
    You have a talent for cutting through to the heart of the matter. I'm diabetic and neither (most) artificial sweeteners nor caffeine are good for me. So I'm trying to quit.

Funny how when we get closer to the end of life we work so much harder to increase the quality of the time we have left, isn't it?

One should drink half their body weight in ounces of water day.
    I could not consume that much but I'll definitely be drinking more.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    As of this morning I feel like crap. I feel like I'm getting the flu in pretty much all the classic ways - body aches, headache, even some changes in my breathing (which I'm sensitive to, since I've had pneumonia several times in my life and nearly died from it on more than one occasion).

I'm not a user of alcohol but this is also remarkably similar to the morning after the few times in my life I've imbibed excessively.

I'm gonna drink a Diet Coke right now and see if I can get through the day on just one or two. My goal is to not need even that within a month. I've been told by people I trust who have done this that I should expect two weeks of this sort of illness from withdrawal; at this moment, the prospect of two weeks of feeling like this fills me with dread.

Time will tell.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Excedrin will give you the caffeine
    The flu you're feeling is your body adjusting. You have to drink a gallon of water a day Ben. Drink it a glad at a time and it helps. I used to drink 2 liters of dp a day. 7 days a week. I stopped doing that and drink water. The feeling like crap will go away in a couple of days.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You have a talent for cutting through to the heart of the matter. I'm diabetic and neither (most) artificial sweeteners nor caffeine are good for me. So I'm trying to quit.

Funny how when we get closer to the end of life we work so much harder to increase the quality of the time we have left, isn't it?

I could not consume that much but I'll definitely be drinking more.

If you weighed 300 pounds that would only be 150 ounces of water. That gallon you can do is 128 ounces. ;)

A gallon may be proper for some, for others it could be too much.

Half your body weight in ounce

Also, slowly increase your fiber.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Buy a water bottle and fill it several times a day, every time you would have got up to go get coffee. It helps to fill in for the habitual activity and not just the drink itself.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Buy a water bottle and fill it several times a day, every time you would have got up to go get coffee. It helps to fill in for the habitual activity and not just the drink itself.
    I'm rotating two water bottles in the fridge already.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    If you weighed 300 pounds that would only be 150 ounces of water. That gallon you can do is 128 ounces. ;)

A gallon may be proper for some, for others it could be too much.

Half your body weight in ounce

Also, slowly increase your fiber.
    For me it would be 90 oz. That is a lot, even for me who drinks a lot already. 14 oz coffee, 3x 16 oz cups of tea and about 16 oz of water. Which is more than enough for normal activites. If I am out on the ranch slinging my chainsaw then I can double that.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    For me it would be 90 oz. That is a lot, even for me who drinks a lot already. 14 oz coffee, 3x 16 oz cups of tea and about 16 oz of water. Which is more than enough for normal activites. If I am out on the ranch slinging my chainsaw then I can double that.

The coffee and tea are diuretics. The 16 oz of of water a day is not NEARLY enough water for a person.

You only need five and a half 16 oz bottles of water in a day. One with each meal, 1 between breakfast and lunch, another between lunch and dinner.

Last edited:

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I'm rotating two water bottles in the fridge already.
    One thing that I do is to take the larger water bottles (like a Dessani) and fill it a 3rd full and stick it in the freezer. Then fill it with room temp water when I take it with me to go out. Very cold water tastes soooo much better to me. I rotate like 3 bottles through, washing them evrry few days. Makes drinking water much better!

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    pfft - I've got a solo cup left over from the last keg party we had at work. It works great as a water cup too.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    The coffee and tea are diuretics. The 16 oz of of water a day is not NEARLY enough water for a person.

You only need five and a half 16 oz bottles of water in a day. One with each meal, 1 between breakfast and lunch, another between lunch and dinner.
    You are correct they are diuretics, but very mild, you really have to drink a lot to get them to trigger. My tea is caffeine free green tea. I have not found a diuretic side effect to the qty I drink and a single cup of coffee is not enough of a diuretic to have an impact on my system.To get the diuretic effects you need more and concentrated qty.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Day 3 - I woke up slightly better in some ways. The all-over body pain is much reduced, though that may be due to the aspirin and Advil.

The biggest problem so far is the weakness. It hit me hard yesterday afternoon and continues today. I feel weak as a kitten. Just taking out the trash this morning left me wanting a nap.

Basically, I still feel like I'm coming down with a bad flu. I know I'm not so I'll keep on keepin' on but, sheesh, this whole situation sucks.

Top Bottom