• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    the prospect of two weeks of feeling like this fills me with dread.

As a Diet Coke addict that, at one point, was consuming at least a gallon daily, and has reduced daily intake to about 48oz, I was keen to read through this thread. I got as far as the quote above, and now I am not so sure I want to keep reading. It is/was my goal to cut Diet Coke out completely, not for the caffeine, but for all the other crap in it. I am not diabetic, but have some digestive issues that will likely benefit from quitting. If I do quit, though, I am not sure what will replace my empty cans as spittoons since I am a chain Copenhagen dipper. LOL
    Target Sports

Last edited:

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    It does and there's a lot of good information there.

Just one tiny correction - It's only been within the last few years that the A1c level that's officially considered "controlled" has dropped from 6.5 to 6. Most endos still don't make changes until they see two consecutive A1c's, 6 months apart, over 7.

You're in the low 5's so, as a fellow diabetic, I can only say you have my great respect. That's a huge achievement.
    Thank you I am going into my 4th 6 mo timeframe on this and the doc lowering my med dosage has REALLY helped a lot. Its been a tough road, but I finally got a handle on it, I have lost almost 30 lbs over the past 18 mo...

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...all the other crap in it...I...have some digestive issues that will likely benefit from quitting.
    Hey, that's definitely part of my thinking. Read on. If I succeed, maybe I'll inspire. If I fail, you can learn from my mistakes.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I will reiterate, as a Dr pepper fiend in remission, the closer to correct amount of water you drink, the easier it becomes to accomplish.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    OT Warning

...the doc lowering my med dosage has REALLY helped a lot.
    What meds? I'm on metformin and Victoza.

Victoza is a wonder drug. I don't know if it does anything for my diabetes but it's a hugely effective appetite supressant for some people, including me.

Metformin, afaik, has fewer bad side effects than most diabetes drugs.

My first doctor, btw, had me on Actos. I scrupulously ate less calories per day of much higher quality food and exercised vigorously every day. My compliance with his directives was perfect and I charted my progress in excruciating detail. Result? Perfect blood glucose control...but I gained 60 pounds. Since the medicine that was causing me to gain weight was doing a good job of controlling blood sugar, he wouldn't consider changing it. The fat gain, he bluntly told me, was something I'd just have to deal with.

I learned two lessons from that. First, if the doc won't listen, change docs. Second, anyone who says weight loss and gain is "simple physics", as in merely the ratio of calories expended to calories ingested, is someone who either has no idea what they're talking about or is over-simplifying to the point of utter prevarication.

Sorry for going a little OT, here.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I will reiterate, as a Dr pepper fiend in remission, the closer to correct amount of water you drink, the easier it becomes to accomplish.
    And I am drinking a heck of a lot of water, easily a gallon a day. I don't have to make a conscious effort to do it; I'm just thirsty all the time.

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    Increasing daily coffee intake may reduce type 2 diabetes risk | HSPH News | Harvard School of Public Health

5 reasons to drink coffee before your workout - CNN.com

Most things I have read and heard are that coffee is good in moderation, just like red wine. I have been told by several of my docs to drink it, especially before working out. One of tHem would drink one on the way to the gym. I run a lot, and it seems to do well for me. Most articles I have read are that it is beneficial in moderation.

As far as Cokes/Sodas go I gave them up and never looked back. Heard too many things about Aspertain causing your body to get dead faster.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    And I am drinking a heck of a lot of water, easily a gallon a day. I don't have to make a conscious effort to do it; I'm just thirsty all the time.
    If your throat is dry and you're feeling thirsty that's your body telling you it is dehydrated. Keep it up, after years of no water your body is throwing a party. On a side note, you'll eventually quit having to pee every 30 minutes too.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    OT Warning

What meds? I'm on metformin and Victoza.

Victoza is a wonder drug. I don't know if it does anything for my diabetes but it's a hugely effective appetite supressant for some people, including me.

Metformin, afaik, has fewer bad side effects than most diabetes drugs.

My first doctor, btw, had me on Actos. I scrupulously ate less calories per day of much higher quality food and exercised vigorously every day. My compliance with his directives was perfect and I charted my progress in excruciating detail. Result? Perfect blood glucose control...but I gained 60 pounds. Since the medicine that was causing me to gain weight was doing a good job of controlling blood sugar, he wouldn't consider changing it. The fat gain, he bluntly told me, was something I'd just have to deal with.

I learned two lessons from that. First, if the doc won't listen, change docs. Second, anyone who says weight loss and gain is "simple physics", as in merely the ratio of calories expended to calories ingested, is someone who either has no idea what they're talking about or is over-simplifying to the point of utter prevarication.

Sorry for going a little OT, here.
    You are on both at the same time???

I am only on Metformin, I think its the only one I have ever used IIRC. You do have to watch your dosage or at least I do, but I respond to meds very well. In most cases no matter the med I work will with smaller dosages.

Spoke of a good friend of mine yesterday, he has gained from a about 200 up to 345 lbs due to side effects from his meds. Of course the more you are overweight the more meds you need take, making you more overweight and it becomes an endless loop.

I wish you well Ben, its a struggle...

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    OT Warning, again.

You are on both at the same time???
    Yep. Most endos will put you on three drugs before they finally move to injected insulin. There are a minority who want to go to insulin immediately to lower stress on the pancreas but that group tends to overlap with the group that believes that injected insulin is something you can eventually get off of. The idea that once you're on insulin you're on it for life is still overwhelmingly dominant.

I don't know which side is right.

As for me being on two medicines, my incredibly good endocrinologist did not feel I needed the Victoza for control but gave it to me, short term, as an experiment to see if I was one of the people for whom it acted as an appetite suppressant. I turned out to experience that side effect, in spades, so she kept me on it. I've lost nearly 100 pounds or so since I went on Victoza.

I was warned that this side effect isn't permanent. I've now been on it long enough that the side effect is beginning to wear off but (maybe just in time) a pattern of weight loss has set in and I hope to continue it even if the Victoza becomes completely ineffective and I quit taking it. I wouldn't mind stopping the Victoza, btw; that stuff is ridiculously expensive, even under my insurance. For the uninsured at full dosage, it runs well over $500/month.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    OT Warning, again.

Yep. Most endos will put you on three drugs before they finally move to injected insulin. There are a minority who want to go to insulin immediately to lower stress on the pancreas but that group tends to overlap with the group that believes that injected insulin is something you can eventually get off of. The idea that once you're on insulin you're on it for life is still overwhelmingly dominant.

I don't know which side is right.

As for me being on two medicines, my incredibly good endocrinologist did not feel I needed the Victoza for control but gave it to me, short term, as an experiment to see if I was one of the people for whom it acted as an appetite suppressant. I turned out to experience that side effect, in spades, so she kept me on it. I've lost nearly 100 pounds or so since I went on Victoza.

I was warned that this side effect isn't permanent. I've now been on it long enough that the side effect is beginning to wear off but (maybe just in time) a pattern of weight loss has set in and I hope to continue it even if the Victoza becomes completely ineffective and I quit taking it. I wouldn't mind stopping the Victoza, btw; that stuff is ridiculously expensive, even under my insurance. For the uninsured at full dosage, it runs well over $500/month.
    WOW, I do take 3 different meds for cholesterol, but I was over 1000. I am now and have been norm...

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Staying OT for a while :)

WOW, I do take 3 different meds for cholesterol, but I was over 1000. I am now and have been norm...
    Cholesterol? I love that subject.

We used to get cholesterol screenings at work. Even when I weighed nearly 600 pounds, my cholesterol was way over on the "Great!" side of the normal range. I used to get a kick out of taking my results around to the marathon runners in the office and comparing numbers; mine were always better.

My cardiologist couldn't believe the first time he tested my cholesterol. Here was this patient, morbidly obese twice over, sitting in front of him with better cholesterol numbers than him or anyone on his staff. He actually looked pissed and ordered the tests repeated. Same result. :)

BTW - He did a heart cath on me because of what I perceived as an arrhythmia. Again, he seemed a little peeved when he delivered the results. How could I possibly be so fat and yet every artery he looked at was completely clear of blockages? He basically told me to lose weight and discharged me immediately.

Oh, and that arrhythmia? We never figured it out. Maybe it was a panic attack. Maybe it was too much caffeine that day. I don't know and, since it's never happened again, I no longer care.

Over time, as I age, my cholesterol numbers have gotten worse. My last check was about 6 months ago and all my results were right in the middle of the "normal" range. The doctors who see my numbers these days tend to react with "That's just fine". I miss their old reactions of "That's not possible!" :)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Returning to quitting Diet Cokes, I've been awake for 4 hours and haven't had a Coke to start the day. That's my usual routine but I've run out. My head is pounding. After two aspirin and a glass of water, I'm out the door to go buy another small quantity of Diet Coke.

I know withdrawal can take weeks but I expected my symptoms would fall along a steep curve initially, iow after hell the first few days, I thought I'd get some relief. Instead, there was an initial drop after a couple of days but since then progress has been maddeningly slow. I actually feel like I've gone backwards and today my symptoms are worse, quicker.

Phooey. I'll walk a mile and lift some weights later when it gets really hot; that usually seems to help.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    This may be no help. I busy myself to help distract from whatever I am giving up. So go to the range or start a build. You'll be able to afford it now that you are giving up sodas.

Top Bottom