Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    This may be no help. I busy myself to help distract from whatever I am giving up.
    I did some walking and light weightlifting outside at about 1-2 pm and followed that up with lots of water. All symptoms were reduced for a few hours but are now back with a vengeance.
    Military Camp

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Damn Ben, sorry to hear it's giving you such trouble. I hope it gets better, much better, soon! I need the inspiration, but all you're doing is scaring me! LOL....just kidding.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Don't mean to scare anyone. This means more to me than just taking a small step to better health, so I'm trying to be honest. Besides, it's only been just over a week since I started this. I expect that breaking any bad habit as long-standing as this one is going to be a bumpy process for a good deal longer than that.

Today was a bad day. Tomorrow will be better. That's the goal, anyway.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Good for you ben, keep it up!!

ETA: Please be careful doing that lifting outside during the hottest part of the day.
    You may want to rethink that?

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Staying OT for a while :)

Cholesterol? I love that subject.

We used to get cholesterol screenings at work. Even when I weighed nearly 600 pounds, my cholesterol was way over on the "Great!" side of the normal range. I used to get a kick out of taking my results around to the marathon runners in the office and comparing numbers; mine were always better.

My cardiologist couldn't believe the first time he tested my cholesterol. Here was this patient, morbidly obese twice over, sitting in front of him with better cholesterol numbers than him or anyone on his staff. He actually looked pissed and ordered the tests repeated. Same result. :)

BTW - He did a heart cath on me because of what I perceived as an arrhythmia. Again, he seemed a little peeved when he delivered the results. How could I possibly be so fat and yet every artery he looked at was completely clear of blockages? He basically told me to lose weight and discharged me immediately.

Oh, and that arrhythmia? We never figured it out. Maybe it was a panic attack. Maybe it was too much caffeine that day. I don't know and, since it's never happened again, I no longer care.

Over time, as I age, my cholesterol numbers have gotten worse. My last check was about 6 months ago and all my results were right in the middle of the "normal" range. The doctors who see my numbers these days tend to react with "That's just fine". I miss their old reactions of "That's not possible!" :)
    I was a runner for about 30 years. At my peak my target was about 300+ miles per mo. My cholesterol back in those days was almost always in the 1200+++ range, but my veins have always been clear and open, no plaque build up at all...

hwarang54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2014
    Artificial sweeteners are one of the worst things you can do to yourself. Your body treats regular sodas like food because it knows what to do with the sugar. Not so with artificial sweeteners.
    This is coming from a foody, professional cook, and classically trained culinary experience that is transferring to nursing. Food science can be fun too!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I stopped drinking diet drinks about a year ago. I feel like my mind is clearer. Hard to explain. I have a regular Coke a couple times a week.

I have been drinking hot tea (my daughter encouraged this) a couple times a day. Oolong tea and green tea (makes me piss like a race horse).

I have it without any sweetener.

hwarang54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2014
    Hot tea is very good for you. The lighter, the better. White tea being the most full of antioxidants. All real tea contains caffeine. The dealer it is, the more it has. Generally speaking, it will not be as much as coffee.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I have two very dear friends that have past on in the last year. I don't want to say that it is the only reason, but both were Diet Coke addicts for 20+ years. Both died of a very aggressive cancer, one at 45 yrs and the other at 53 yrs of age. It may have absolutely nothing to do with it, but I do not recall anything else that they consumed with such abandon. They were not related or within the same group of friends.
    Personally I don't think that artificial sweetners are for me, but it is a free country and you can make your own choices.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I had to take a hiatus myself. Several months. I tend to get too bogged down in stuff like this and have to take a break now and then.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    G69, thanks for asking.

With maybe one exception, I'm not posting these days. The Diet Coke thing is hell. I really can't believe it's as bad as it is but I've done a bunch of reading. The chemicals in diet sodas can, for some people, be worse than quitting many other addicting substances, both legal and illegal. I seem to fall on the bad side of the bell curve. I've tried tapering off, quitting cold turkey, substituting other things that aren't good for me and, despite my attempts up-thread to make things look better than they are, things are actually far worse than I could have imagined.

And I've got some other stuff going on, mainly health problems in the family.

With a few exceptions, I'm off TGT until I come out on the far side of this tunnel. I don't see the light yet.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    G69, thanks for asking.

With maybe one exception, I'm not posting these days. The Diet Coke thing is hell. I really can't believe it's as bad as it is but I've done a bunch of reading. The chemicals in diet sodas can, for some people, be worse than quitting many other addicting substances, both legal and illegal. I seem to fall on the bad side of the bell curve. I've tried tapering off, quitting cold turkey, substituting other things that aren't good for me and, despite my attempts up-thread to make things look better than they are, things are actually far worse than I could have imagined.

And I've got some other stuff going on, mainly health problems in the family.

With a few exceptions, I'm off TGT until I come out on the far side of this tunnel. I don't see the light yet.

Sorry it's been so rough Ben, we got your back!!

Top Bottom