• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

I don't envision lining up to buy a 2026, or even a 2025 vehicle at that point. I'm not even excited about potentially getting anything made from late 2020 thru probably 2023 - given the shit-QC and the spotty parts availability seen on a lot of late model vehicles. I've got a 2016 Toyota now - and its already bad enough that Toyota is making certain features - like remote start - a subscription service from, IIRC 2018 or 19 onward.

This kill switch nonsense needs repealed - gov't has no business wielding that kind of power. I don't give a shit about the "public safety" appeal to it - it WILL be abused. The cops can develop better tactics, or obtain other devices to disable a fleeing vehicle - they don't need to be able to shut off someone's car just with a button or keystroke.

Watch, in 2024 or 25 they'll push thru a bill banning vehicles without this crap by 2030.

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    "Watch, in 2024 or 25 they'll push thru a bill banning vehicles without this crap by 2030"
    Well there is already something similar to that available today. If the police in pursuit choose to they can check with OnStar to see if your vehicle has the service and if so can request a power disable which shuts down the engine. I believe there are similar services across all makes that do the same.

As far as banning vehicles that don't have it installed, the government tried that with seatbelts. They could not enforce it with the older vehicles that did not come with seatbelts.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    "Watch, in 2024 or 25 they'll push thru a bill banning vehicles without this crap by 2030"
    Well there is already something similar to that available today. If the police in pursuit choose to they can check with OnStar to see if your vehicle has the service and if so can request a power disable which shuts down the engine. I believe there are similar services across all makes that do the same.

As far as banning vehicles that don't have it installed, the government tried that with seatbelts. They could not enforce it with the older vehicles that did not come with seatbelts.

Except they probably didn't just refuse to register vehicles without seat belts. No doubt they've gotten smarter - and if they want to push it - they'll just mandate that no vehicle is allowed to be registered and operate on any federally funded highway if it does not have kill switch technology permanently installed, it'll become part of your vehicle inspection, and they'll just hit you with ever-increasing fines for noncompliant vehicles, tow your vehicle or seize it for the violation. Or take a different tack - and simply get insurers to refuse to insure any non-compliant vehicle.

There would be people who don't comply and drive around uninsured with no valid tags - they do today already - but its an easy enforcement thing and the government agencies enforcing it could get an increase in revenue by the seizure and auction (for scrap, or for vehicles to be sold internationally) of illegal vehicles.

Yeah, I'm looking at the dystopian / worst case scenario, because I just don't trust the politicians NOT to go down that road.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Alex Jones was talking about this over 10 years ago.

Yet again another case of Alex Jones was right.
    Blind squirrel.....

Broken clock.....

Alex Jones......

Comet that killed dinosaurs.....

All on target or correct at times. The problem with Alex Jones is its deep fried in liquid crazy and filled with fruit loopy wtf filling. It kinda ruins the times hes correct.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Blind squirrel.....

Broken clock.....

Alex Jones......

Comet that killed dinosaurs.....

All on target or correct at times. The problem with Alex Jones is its deep fried in liquid crazy and filled with fruit loopy wtf filling. It kinda ruins the times hes correct.
    1643297641991.jpeg

You were saying?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

And that was in a different era.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Except they probably didn't just refuse to register vehicles without seat belts. No doubt they've gotten smarter - and if they want to push it - they'll just mandate that no vehicle is allowed to be registered and operate on any federally funded highway if it does not have kill switch technology permanently installed, it'll become part of your vehicle inspection, and they'll just hit you with ever-increasing fines for noncompliant vehicles, tow your vehicle or seize it for the violation. Or take a different tack - and simply get insurers to refuse to insure any non-compliant vehicle.

There would be people who don't comply and drive around uninsured with no valid tags - they do today already - but its an easy enforcement thing and the government agencies enforcing it could get an increase in revenue by the seizure and auction (for scrap, or for vehicles to be sold internationally) of illegal vehicles.

Yeah, I'm looking at the dystopian / worst case scenario, because I just don't trust the politicians NOT to go down that road.
    Hate to say it, but you have probably nailed it.

Reactions: gll

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I guess there will be a new market for a cpu flash or a new device to circumvent this bs. Wouldn't be the first time. I don't buy new cars, but if I did, I'd be paying to have this feature removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As S said, they will make it part of the vehicle inspection. So you would have to return the function for inspection and disable again.

brashears9567

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016
    As S said, they will make it part of the vehicle inspection. So you would have to return the function for inspection and disable again.

I don't have vehicle inspections. Never have. Only one city, that I know of, in TN has inspections. Nashville might, don't know. But I don't, and I don't see that changing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    This kill switch nonsense needs repealed - gov't has no business wielding that kind of power. I don't give a shit about the "public safety" appeal to it - it WILL be abused. The cops can develop better tactics, or obtain other devices to disable a fleeing vehicle - they don't need to be able to shut off someone's car just with a button or keystroke.

Watch, in 2024 or 25 they'll push thru a bill banning vehicles without this crap by 2030.

I'm sure they will eventually have kill switches implanted in baby's brains.... you know, for the ability to silence conservative thoughts and speech.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Figured thats where they were headed for with the electrics anyway. Big brother can stop you in your tracks with a flip of the switch. This is ripe for abuse. Im looking at that big rig convoy in Canada where they are protesting the vax mandate. Guarantee those trucks would all be shut down if they had kill switches.

I assume any car with OTA updates is already able to be shut down remotely along with any GM product which all now come equipped with onstar.

I believe that vehicles from the 90s to the early/mid oughts just increased in value with that announcement. They all had FI so they weren’t total dogs, and they were simple enough where common folks could still do many of the repairs. I mean, a 25 year old car in the ‘90s meant an inefficient carbureted malaise brick that was neither fast nor efficient. A 25 year old car today isn‘t that much different than current model. It’s just without all the gadgets and complex safety crap.

Top Bottom