• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The state House has been batting around doing away with vehicle inspections for a couple sessions now. May be just enough impetus to git ‘er done.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    What is the best way to completely disable onstar?
    Depends somewhat on the vehicle, but in many cases you can simply unplug the module that houses the cellular radio. You may lose adjacent functionality like bluetooth integration. Some models will loop the module into the path of other modules and basically disable the vehicle. Memory is fuzzy, but I think it was like older Silverados, Tahoes, etc. that connected the BCM through the OnStar module. So if you unplugged it, the truck wouldn't start. All that is needed in that case was a two wire jumper between connectors. I haven't disabled a newer model, but it wouldn't surprise me if they're using CAN messaging to enable modules. If that's the case, you can eliminate the module and simulate that traffic if unencrypted (replay attack). Many of these modules also have a socketed cellular radio module you can remove. It'll set a trouble code, but that code rarely lights the check engine light.

There's always the analog loophole too, and currently the vehicles aren't required to phone home to stay operational. So you can take an age-old approach to disabling communications - you pin the coax going to the antenna (although that's not guaranteed to be 100% effective if you're close to a tower).

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Thank goodness this will be mandatory. We need more government. Hopefully they record our conversations while driving. We need that. Maybe we’ll be lucky enough a new vehicle will be 100k because our economy is so good just like it’s doing now thanks to our great president.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    Anyone ELSE remember OBD4? Under Carter, they wanted to MANDATE the OBD have 30 min memory of speed and emissions, and be addressable by roadside sensors.
    This is an OLD fight, and they NEVER give up.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Guess what else is coming with EV’s?

If you guessed “more control over us plebes”, you win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Anyone ELSE remember OBD4? Under Carter, they wanted to MANDATE the OBD have 30 min memory of speed and emissions, and be addressable by roadside sensors.
    This is an OLD fight, and they NEVER give up.
    The ECM in most newer vehicles also contains a "black box" similar to what most aircraft have, and they can pull all sorts of information about the vehicle and how it was being operated at a specific time.

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    What is the best way to completely disable onstar?

Oh dear people...let's make sure we have some real details or experience before we start tearing into our vehicles. Depending on the model, simply pulling the OnStar fuse will work. Many GM platforms have the fuse labeled "INFO". Pull fuses at your own risk.

On almost all GM vehicles from the early 2000's and sooner, the communication circuits are bussed or in loops. Unplug the OnStar and now the engine won't start. Good thing GM designed the harness where the Vehicle Communication Interface Module (VCIM) is powered by a fuse that powers nothing else. Keeping the module plugged in allows communication through it (internal bypass) even if it is not powered.

There is no "black box", especially not in the ECM. Aftermarket tuning software and some newer GM applications can data log but it requires the equipment be connected during recording. The ECM does not do it automatically, the software does. There are some identifying parameters stored in the SDM after an accident. GM dealer employees, first responders such as fire or police officers, nor 99% of the world's population can access that information.

My 2003 Denali is too old for the OnStar to function anyway (it's analog and I obviously never upgraded it to digital). The fuse is pulled on my 2007 Sierra. Note: most insurance companies don't give much or any discount for OnStar like they used to but check into it. Oh, and up to date OnStar subscription is needed for personal Wi-Fi on GM products because GM installed the modem, etc in the VCIM.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I believe that vehicles from the 90s to the early/mid oughts just increased in value with that announcement.
    You mean my 2001 F150 base model with the V6 is no longer just an underpowered, gas-guzzling, poor-handling POS? :)

Seriously, my truck is as described but at least it's sufficiently simple that I can actually look at the engine and sorta identify most of the stuff I see. I always felt that had some value; maybe now it has a bit more.

I know I won't buy a new vehicle that has the titular "feature" unless and until there are readily available, widely known, and proven reliable ways to disable it.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    On almost all GM vehicles from the early 2000's and sooner, the communication circuits are bussed or in loops. Unplug the OnStar and now the engine won't start. Good thing GM designed the harness where the Vehicle Communication Interface Module (VCIM) is powered by a fuse that powers nothing else. Keeping the module plugged in allows communication through it (internal bypass) even if it is not powered.
    The fuse that protects OnStar on my vehicle also affects other circuits.

Top Bottom