• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    This will be FUNNY when some high school hackers develop a point and shoot transmitter that kills cars
    The guys who figured out that FCA vehicles on the Sprint network had no authentication beyond also being on Sprint's network could remotely control *any* connected vehicle brought about a lot of changes. My 2019 Dodge has a 'security gateway' module that sits between the wireless module, the OBD port, and the chassis CAN bus to prevent unauthorized access. It's a simple wedge, and you "need" to cryptographically authenticate to that module. Bypassing it is simple if you have physical access to the vehicle, either at the module itself (under the dash) or by simply plugging into the bus elsewhere. I have a module plugged into the star connectors in the trunk, with two interfaces. One on the chassis bus and the other on the IHS bus (for the radio and other non-critical modules). Since Dodge wants me to pay a subscription to use remote keyless entry and whatnot, and I don't want to, I built my own.

Remote attacks will be more difficult going forward, but certainly not impossible. Insider attacks still being the simplest vector. If the risk were non-safety annoyances, like playing with door locks or disabling the starter that's one thing. But with cars that have actuators on the steering and braking being a lot more common, the argument for disabling these systems entirely becomes a lot more sensible in my opinion.
    Lynx Defense

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    The ECM in most newer vehicles also contains a "black box" similar to what most aircraft have, and they can pull all sorts of information about the vehicle and how it was being operated at a specific time.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    This will be FUNNY when some high school hackers develop a point and shoot transmitter that kills cars

I remember seeing a bit on one of the science shows years ago where they were successfully testing EMP guns that would shut down any modern computer controlled car - didn't need special chips and circuits. Car got hit with a directed EMP pulse that caused it to stall out, giving time for a pursuing police vehicle to catch up to it.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I remember seeing a bit on one of the science shows years ago where they were successfully testing EMP guns that would shut down any modern computer controlled car - didn't need special chips and circuits. Car got hit with a directed EMP pulse that caused it to stall out, giving time for a pursuing police vehicle to catch up to it.
    Yup, called HERF guns.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

I already have one of these. Works on literally every production car ever made, regardless of microchips or carbs.

Made by Armalite. Nifty little gadget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    This appeared in my newsfeed today and seems appropriate for this thread.

My wife would be customer #1. All the tech in the car gets in her way. The only part she wants is smartphone mirroring for maps, and even that is finicky enough to be irritating. She would gladly trade all the tech for another 100 hp.

Top Bottom