• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    I remember when you wanted a specific gun you would order it and wait perhaps several weeks for it to arrive at the dealer. Same with anything that wasn't on the shelf. Today, the instant background checks provide instant gratification and delivery. If I want a new AR15 I don't mind waiting a few days. If a person wants one right now there may be an issue that we don't see. And there should be a time period to wait.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    If the Parkland shooter had come into my office at any point, no question that commitment would have never come up. He wouldn’t have met criteria for that. Not unless he would have disclosed that in a session. And people that aren’t flaming psychotics don’t disclose quite that much. They really do know better to go that far; even if their trust their provider. They know the drill.

Dispelling evil is not something that mental health providers can do.

Maybe a priest with holy water might have better luck?

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    Yes AND others though.

You know how many weird, edgy kids I treat who trust me enough to talk to me in treatment? A LOT. Can’t commit them all.

You know how many are gonna talk to me if I have to give the disclaimer that if they say ONE word about anything south of Vanilla that they will be hauled into a looney bin? None.

And if I don’t tell them and that is just what we start doing as a discipline, then word will get around and no one will talk in treatment.
    That is exactly what BHO proposed in the VA. How many vets are gonna get help if they know the shrink is gonna turn them in. Same thing in LEO shootings. What should I tell the shrink to get back on duty. It is all about vicarious liability not about helping those that are mentally suffering thru crap.
    After working with CPS, I felt the need to see a therapist some for stress but mostly to head off a termination I felt was coming. The general practitioner wanted to put me on some type of anti depressant! I was like WTF? I used someone in our EAP program and it helped.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    I remember when you wanted a specific gun you would order it and wait perhaps several weeks for it to arrive at the dealer. Same with anything that wasn't on the shelf. Today, the instant background checks provide instant gratification and delivery. If I want a new AR15 I don't mind waiting a few days. If a person wants one right now there may be an issue that we don't see. And there should be a time period to wait.
    Waiting periods or "cooling off" periods have proven to be ineffective as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Why should I, as a law abiding citizen, have to wait to purchase a gun?

I don't have to wait to purchase a car, which can (and has) been used to kill a number of people.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    If the Parkland shooter had come into my office at any point, no question that commitment would have never come up. He wouldn’t have met criteria for that. Not unless he would have disclosed that in a session. And people that aren’t flaming psychotics don’t disclose quite that much. They really do know better to go that far; even if their trust their provider. They know the drill.

Dispelling evil is not something that mental health providers can do.

Maybe a priest with holy water might have better luck?
    Don't get me wrong, I am opposed to "Red Flag Laws" because I don't think they will be implemented as they should, but don't you think that the Parkland shooter should have been at least investigated a little better?
    https://www.npr.org/2018/02/28/5895...of-parkland-shooting-suspect-comes-into-focus
    I find this an informative subject and I'm just trying to pick your brain.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    With all due respect to counselors and psychiatrist it's not in my opinion an exact science far too much room for error. Perhaps an educated guess would be a better term, no matter red flag will be or can be used incorrect causing more problems then it solves.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That used to be a common site, nowadays that's an invitation to get your vehicle broken into.

Pretty sure it would get broken in to by the local PD while they were shoving you in to the back of a squad car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inspector43

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    Why should I, as a law abiding citizen, have to wait to purchase a gun?

I don't have to wait to purchase a car, which can (and has) been used to kill a number of people.
    The point I am trying to make is that as a society we have lost all sense of patience. I am not proposing a 'cooling off period'. And, it was just a suggestion feeding in to the conversation.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    The point I am trying to make is that as a society we have lost all sense of patience. I am not proposing a 'cooling off period'. And, it was just a suggestion feeding in to the conversation.
    Although I wouldn't argue the patience issue, I don't think a waiting period would really make difference, unless you were planning to break the law that day.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I agree on no patience. Heck, used to order stuff from Sears Roebuck and if you were lucky it arrive in a month or two.

But this particular suggestion sure seemed like a cooling off period proposal.

Inspector43

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    I agree on no patience. Heck, used to order stuff from Sears Roebuck and if you were lucky it arrive in a month or two.

But this particular suggestion sure seemed like a cooling off period proposal.
    No. I just wanted to point out that there are several elements to the puzzle.

Top Bottom