• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Won't hurt Texas instructor's much. But won't help the guys pushing alternative permits a bit. Yes, it is on Perry's Desk.

OFFascist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Portland, TX
    You think that many people haven't got their chl because it involves a full day of class and shooting?

I couldn't quantify it with a number or a percentage but I would say yes, that and the cost.

My wife didn't want to take the class because she didn't want to spend a whole day doing it, so last time we were visiting friends in Washington State we both went through the process to get a non-resident CHL there. The process there is essentially you pay $50, fill out some forms with your info, they do a background check on you and in about 2 months they mail you a concealed pistol license.

I still intend to keep renewing my Texas CHL, but with the process above I find it really easy to believe a report I read a while back that claimed WA has a higher percentage of its population licensed to conceal carry than Texas.

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    Sucks, just renewed in Feb. Next time would have been my 3 renew. I was looking forward to just paying the fee and getting my renewed license. No class, no hassle. Now everyone gets to. Waaaa waaaa waaa.

I just hope with the shorter class and hassle free renewal, that we don't end up with skewed numbers on negative CHL related statistics. I didn't mind the extended 10 hour for initial license. Just reduce the renewal would have been fine with me. Too many laws and information saturation for someone to soak it all up in the shortened version. I might try to sit in on an initial class to see how abbreviated it winds up being to shorten the time. Of course this is just one individuals opinion. :)

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    Ain't you got enough color on you already? :p

And yes, from how I read it. Just fill out the application and pay the fee online and new one comes in the mail after background check.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Kyle. Pick a color. It passed. It's one signature away from law. Half day classroom + proficiency will satisfy training in the near future if signed.

The only reason I could imagine Perry stumbling is potential damage to reciprocity agreements. Several states use a stringency standard to award reciprocity. We could lose a few states in the mix which will result in me seeking a collection of non-resident permits to bolster my freedom.

We nearly lost New Mexico based on stringency. The require age 21 and announced cancellation because we appreciate and respect Veterans even before we let them drink.

Top Bottom