• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I let my CHL expire, now that glovebox guns are OK, it just seemed less important. I decided not to renew because I could not endure an entire day (that I can't get back) listening to a deputy constable from Podunk county, telling me not to play quick draw. I may invest 4 hours for a new one. One thing I would recommend strongly. instructors should explain in no uncertain terms that a CHL holder is not a Policeman. Is not endowed with arrest authority (more than any citizen). Has not been given a mandate to "save the world." All comments I have heard from new CHL graduates. Maybe this could be included in something you must sign. Just saying...

You'd be pleased to hear at least one instructor covered just these topics. In my class it was laid out the CHL is intended to cover you and yours. The way it was stated, was "everyone else has the same opportunity under the law to protect themselves, it's not up to you to be the hero." Then the issue of the costs of litigation after intervening were discussed. I think another quote was "if I'm in a crowded room where someone starts shooting, and there's an exit to my left? I'm taking it."

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I'm back.

So, if I don't care about the money, & would rather not sit in class, can I just pay again later & not have to sit through class without any
    lapse in my carrying?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I'm back.

So, if I don't care about the money, & would rather not sit in class, can I just pay again later & not have to sit through class without any
    lapse in my carrying?
    If you apply for renewal on Sept 1, it will depend on when your license expires, and when DPS can get it back to you.

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    Thanks (again)....that answers my question perfectly.
    Current expires on my BD, Sept. 20.

With only 19 days between when it goes into effect and when your license expires, I wouldn't wait. Just think of all the folks that are going to wait until Sep. 1st. Not to mention renewal is already a 5 - 6 week wait.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    so, you are saying that CHL instructors are leftist nanny staters ?
    That has not been my experience. Name the class you took.

Anyone who believes a class should be required before a person is allowed to exercise his right to bear arms is a leftist nanny stater.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Anyone who believes a class should be required before a person is allowed to exercise his right to bear arms is a leftist nanny stater.

Exactly.

And if you are offended by this...don't forget to pick up your Baldwin/Moore Fan Club badge on your way out the door...

Last edited:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Exactly.

And if you are offended by this...don't forget to pick up your Baldwin/Moore Fan Club badge on your way out the door...

I asked you to name the class you took that had leftist, nanny staters who gouged you on the price for your renewal. Please do so. You made a claim, back it up.

You called all CHL instructors greedy bitches. I responded that paying approximately $12.50 an hour for a 4 hour renewal was hardly greedy. The instructors did not make the law, we are simply giving the public an avenue to get the legal end of carrying concealed taken care of for you. You do realize that most instructors are not making anything to speak of after teaching a class, right?

You made a pretty harsh allegation earlier. Back it up.

FlashBang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Bastrop TX
    I asked you to name the class you took that had leftist, nanny staters who gouged you on the price for your renewal. Please do so. You made a claim, back it up.

You called all CHL instructors greedy bitches. I responded that paying approximately $12.50 an hour for a 4 hour renewal was hardly greedy. The instructors did not make the law, we are simply giving the public an avenue to get the legal end of carrying concealed taken care of for you. You do realize that most instructors are not making anything to speak of after teaching a class, right?

You made a pretty harsh allegation earlier. Back it up.

Ummmm, isn't that $12.50 per hour per student? So if there are 10 people in the class, it is $125.00 per hour x 4 hours = $500 per class taught?

What are the expenses the instructor incurs for the room etc? Not trying to throw fuel on the fire, just asking to better understand. Thanks.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    I wrote Rep Strauss a few weeks ago telling him his efforts to derail HB 700 (open carry) and HB 928 (Come and Take It) was an injustice to the people of TX. He wrote me back (and I honestly think it was written by him or someone who speaks for him), touting bills like this one that reduces or eliminates CHL renewal classes and the other one that removes the penalty for inadvertently showing a gun.

That's all fine and dandy, but I'm still pretty disappointed about the failure of the above mentioned bills, and campus carry. It seems nearly every state is becoming increasingly pro gun, or increasingly anti gun, but in Texas it appears we have a stalemate. While I'm glad these bills passed, I wouldn't say our gun rights have been strengthened at all.

Make no mistake, the Progressives want to take away virtually all our gun rights, at least on paper. The next few years should be telling.

Not only that but the Democratic Party of Harris County (and I'm sure many others) are on a mission to turn Texas into a Democratic state.

Not that I typically pick sides in politics, but the Democrats are the ones attacking our gun rights, so that would be a disaster.

Last edited:

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    These little children, trying to call me out again for accurately and in context stating...facts...

They keep forgetting I've been an CHL and small arms instructor for decades, and run large classes...fifty students and up...every few weeks. For free. But then, I am a professional instructor, Master class shooter, gunsmith, manufacturer, and owner of a quite profitable gun company. What the hell do I know about the industry?

FlashBang did the math very well...instructors can make a ton of cash off even renewals under the current system, and many of the less scrupulous are very happy to take advantage of the idiots that consider themselves our masters by crying rivers about their lack of income, err, "unsafe conditions" if training mandates are reduced...

Alex

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    Why do some of you insist on turning every thread into name calling?

+1. I've been on quite a few gun forums, but find people like to bicker more on this one than most others (GlockTalk excluded).

That's why I rarely get on here anymore, unless it is to discuss an issue related to TEXAS gun rights/laws/events.

I've found a reloading forum with mostly older people who don't belittle you every time you ask a "stupid" question and who don't cross examine every single word you type to see if they can possibly try to start an argument with you, not to mention people who can recognize and take a joke without getting all butthurt. Been pretty content and have actually befriended and done business with several members.

I just like TGT cause it's local, but man there are some a-holes in here! (No offense to anyone, I'm an a-hole myself, but at least I try to say things in a polite and non confrontational manner, just out of common courtesy).

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Ummmm, isn't that $12.50 per hour per student? So if there are 10 people in the class, it is $125.00 per hour x 4 hours = $500 per class taught?

What are the expenses the instructor incurs for the room etc? Not trying to throw fuel on the fire, just asking to better understand. Thanks.

Well, let me see......I charge $150/hr for technical services, portal to portal. You want me to review something and give you my "Expert Opinion"? Sure - it's $150/hr...includin' all research time, etc.

Those instructors have to pay for the classroom, teaching materials, etc. You may not think much of it, but it has a cost. They also have to spend time setting up the classes, do the paperwork for the state, and have ongoing education to maintain their certifications. So it's not the gravy train that ya might think.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sakorey
    Top Bottom