• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    So I went to wal mart and priced a new 10/22 the other day and all the hardware for it. here is a rough price list:
    10/22- $197.99 so about $230 After tax
    scope mount base-$6.99
    a Bushnell 3x9 scope (rings included)- $29.99
    and I'll stock up on ammo before I get the gun cuz it's cheap. But since the situation has changed on the HD STG, I'm now looking into other possibilities on my gun purchase with my tax return check. I think I'm going to get a 10/22 because I can set it up and shoot it for less than a new .308 bolt action. (plus I've always wanted a 10/22 ) I was wondering what kind of accuracy I can expect from a stock 10/22 out to 100 yards. Any info will be very much appreciated. Thanks.
    ARJ Defense ad

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    i dont know if it is stock or not, but a good freind of mine has a old 10/22 hes had forever it seems like, and he get extremely tight groups. he has a leopold on his though. im talkin TINY groups.
    never asked him if he put any aftermarket parts in it though.

TexasR.N.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Rampart
    I purchased a 10/22 at Academy last week for 189.00. It was the cheapest price I had found. I didn't price scopes, so no help there.

Craig

mclarenross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I warn you now, it will cost you more than a 308 Tactical rifle in the long run. I started with 1. I have 4 now. One I have spent over $1500 on, cumulatively. You will not find a better 22 rimfire semi-auto for the money. Stock the gun should do ~3" at 100 yards. With a little reading and understanding of the trigger system you can do a trigger job on it and get the groups under ~2". Go to [url]www.rimfirecentral.com[/URL]. You will be overwhelmed with information.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    What percentage in tax are you paying?
    It was just a guess I don't know the actual numbers.

I warn you now, it will cost you more than a 308 Tactical rifle in the long run. I started with 1. I have 4 now. One I have spent over $1500 on, cumulatively. You will not find a better 22 rimfire semi-auto for the money. Stock the gun should do ~3" at 100 yards. With a little reading and understanding of the trigger system you can do a trigger job on it and get the groups under ~2". Go to [URL="http://www.rimfirecentral.com"][URL="http://www.rimfirecentral.com"]www.rimfirecentral.com[/URL][/URL]. You will be overwhelmed with information.
    3'' will do fine, I can live with three. But I don't plan on doing anything to it other than maybe a trigger job, barrel, and stock maybe if I get bored with it later on in it's life. One thing is it had a parkerized kinda finish on it, I thought they came blued. And thanks for the link.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    It was just a guess I don't know the actual numbers.

At 8-1/4% tax (what we pay in Houston) your looking at about $214 plus change.
    If I can find it, I have an extra scope base that your welcomed to have if you want it? I'll check this evening to see if I can find it, again.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    If you want to shoot at 100 yards go for a better scope,I have a Mueller 4-14x40 on my 10/22 and it's as clear as my Nikon Monarch, the Mueller is around $114.

The 10/22 isn't cheap as you want to add goodies,,Boyd stock,Butler creek heavy barrel,trigger work,bolt polished with pinned firing pin.
    Dime sized groups at 50yards and a joy to shoot total cost over $500.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Yeah but I just want a stock plinker for now. The only reason I was wondering about the 100 yard grouping was to make sure I could still hit a rabbit if I was forced to take the 100 yard shot. I might be forced to go shoot ground hogs with it in WV next summer.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    The stock 10/22 makes a good plinker. 100 yards is pretty tough on any .22 rim fire due to wind etc, but as already pointed out you ought to be able to do 3" if you do your part. I can do that with my lever guns, and they are not known as the most accurate at those distances.

Are you looking at a .22 rimfire scope? Make sure and get one with the 1" tube, and parallax free at 50 yards. Bushnell makes one for around $40. I put a cheap-o NC Star 2 x 6 -28 on my 39A because it is very small and compact. Unfortunately, it is parallax set at 100 yards which effects accuracy a tiny bit at 50 yards or so.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Okay this is going to sound dumb as hell on me. But what is a parallax? As far as shooting at 100 I doubt I'll do much of it I just want to have 50 yard accuracy.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Okay this is going to sound dumb as hell on me. But what is a parallax? As far as shooting at 100 I doubt I'll do much of it I just want to have 50 yard accuracy.

That is basically the distance that the optic is in best focus without distortion of where the reticle indicates. When you are looking at an object at the parallax setting of the optic, moving your head side to side while looking through the scope, will not move the reticle off of the aim position. If you have for example a scope set at 100 yard parallax free, when aiming at an object at 50 yards, moving your head will move where the retical shows. If you keep your head/eye directly (perfectly) behind the scope, it's not an issue. But in reality, it's a pretty small amount.

Most center fire scopes use 100 yards. More expensive and/or target scopes have adjustable parallax. Just think of it at the optimum aiming distance of a give scope.

Parallax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope that helps.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    That is basically the distance that the optic is in best focus without distortion of where the reticle indicates. When you are looking at an object at the parallax setting of the optic, moving your head side to side while looking through the scope, will not move the reticle off of the aim position. If you have for example a scope set at 100 yard parallax free, when aiming at an object at 50 yards, moving your head will move where the retical shows. If you keep your head/eye directly (perfectly) behind the scope, it's not an issue. But in reality, it's a pretty small amount.

Most center fire scopes use 100 yards. More expensive and/or target scopes have adjustable parallax. Just think of it at the optimum aiming distance of a give scope.

Parallax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope that helps.
    So the parallax is how much the cross hairs move off of target when I move my head?

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Don't all scopes do that? At 50-100 yards how bad will that throw my shot off. I've never really done anything with a 22 other than pick it up and shoot it at something.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    anibal79
    Top Bottom