• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Truthfully I view the 22 as a 50 yard gun while I have shot targets at 100yards on not windy days it certainly Isnt a hunting 100 yards gun, you may look into a 17cal heavy barrel in Marlin or Savage with that you could shoot hogs in Almost Heaven West Va. You can find a basic 17 at walmart
    for over slightly $200.
    ARJ Defense ad

Libertarian_Longhorn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    I got my first 10/22 when I was 13, and yes the're addictive. That one still has an old cheapo Tasco scope on it and it shoots just fine for my liking.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Don't all scopes do that? At 50-100 yards how bad will that throw my shot off. I've never really done anything with a 22 other than pick it up and shoot it at something.

I know what your saying. But yes, all scopes do that. But if you have a scope that is parallax free at 100 yards, there should be no movement. Same scope at 200 yards, there will be some. But as I said earlier, for a .22 rim fire, with a 100 yard parallax tuned scope, shooting a squirral at 50 yards, he's still going to have a big hurt on. Those .22's you just picked up and shot probably had small dia scopes, tuned to 25 - 50 yards. If you buy a scope that is labeled as .22, it will no doubt be a 50 yard scope. Just get a 1" tube.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Truthfully I view the 22 as a 50 yard gun while I have shot targets at 100yards on not windy days it certainly Isnt a hunting 100 yards gun, you may look into a 17cal heavy barrel in Marlin or Savage with that you could shoot hogs in Almost Heaven West Va. You can find a basic 17 at walmart
    for over slightly $200.
    I don't want a 17 yet, some day but not right now. I'll probably never shoot G,Hogs in WV again but when I did it was a blast with that old Marlin lever action open sights and a running shot at 75 yds was an exciting thing to me.
    I know what your saying. But yes, all scopes do that. But if you have a scope that is parallax free at 100 yards, there should be no movement. Same scope at 200 yards, there will be some. But as I said earlier, for a .22 rim fire, with a 100 yard parallax tuned scope, shooting a squirral at 50 yards, he's still going to have a big hurt on. Those .22's you just picked up and shot probably had small dia scopes, tuned to 25 - 50 yards. If you buy a scope that is labeled as .22, it will no doubt be a 50 yard scope. Just get a 1" tube.
    Right I get what you're saying. I'm not going to be shooting squirrels at 100 but rather just plinking at 100. I'll probably upgrade to a good scope after a few months but just for plinking I would think a cheapo would be fine. I'm for shore going with a 1'' tube tho.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    At 8-1/4% tax (what we pay in Houston) your looking at about $214 plus change.
    If I can find it, I have an extra scope base that your welcomed to have if you want it? I'll check this evening to see if I can find it, again.
    Sorry I got busy at work and quit checking the page before. I'll take anything that's free. LOL. And you're probably right about the price I'm just guessing on the tax.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    BC,

I started to look for the scope mount, last night but couldn't find it. I didn't really give it a good search, because I got interupted by some honey-do's. I have some storeage containers that I didn't look at. I'll check them out this weekend and send you a PM, if I come across it.

D-Day

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    I bought the Stainless steel 10/22 from Wal Mart about 6 months ago. It has a beautiful stock on it. I believe I paid $237 + tax. It is the one with a 22 inch barrel. I have yet to put a scope on it, but Academy always has some pretty decent entry level Bushnell's for sale. I got one on my Speedmaster 552. I am happy with the 10/22 and want to buy the carbine length next.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I like the carbine size of just about everything. But that's because must of my hunting is done in or around brush country. I like something compact enough to not cause me issues in the brush. But I also like longer barrels for longer shooting. It gives all that powder a chance to burn and speed up the bullet.

hoytinak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    Over the years I've bought, modded up and sold 5 different 10/22's. The last one I had I sold a while back and I've been without one since and decided I missed shooting it and needed another one. Of all the ones I've had I've built them up pretty good so I thought I'd keep this one pretty plain. I added my old Power Custom trigger (which I bought back from the last one I sold ), Tuffer Buffer (which I always add to my 10/22s), added a Hogue stock, topped it off with a Nikon Prostaff 4x rimfire scope and Burris Zee rings. Just got back from the range with it I must say that I'm very pleased with it. Once I got it zeroed (which took 20 rounds shooting 5 shot groups) I was shooting 1/2" groups at 50 yards with Mini-Mags, not too shabby for me being half hungover. :eek:

25.gif

hoytinak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    The Nikon was $120 after tax. I did quite a bit of research on which fixed 4x rimfire scope to get and it was between this Nikon and the Leupold FX-1. I was actually set out to by the FX-1 (but the Nikon actually a poll between the 2 scope for hunting/plinking) but no one here Amarillo had one in stock and me being impatient I wanted it that day so I bought the Nikon. I'm glad I got it as it's very clear and sits on the 10/22 perfect with the Burris low rings I got.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I just can't spend that kind of cash for a scope as there are other things I need to get done with that Tax return. But thanks for the info on it I'll look into it if I get the urge to get really serious about souping up the 10/22.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My lady asked what I wanted for Christmas. The answer was easy: a Volquartsen 10-22 trigger assembly. She chipped in for it and I received it just before Xmas. To put this in proper perspective, we paid more for the match trigger assembly than the new rifle I installed it in. Add to that trigger, the price of the rifle, stock, scope, rings and bull barrel, that mounts up pretty quickly.

Is that nuts? Yup! Did I do that more than once? Yup! Would I do that again.....probably.

Flash

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    Here's mine in it's current state. Internal mods only, trigger upgrades, smoothed internals, urethane bolt stop, etc.

Guns009.jpg

Guns025.jpg

I like it for what it is, a cheap plinker. It would make a great rodent hunter, but I'd throw the plain synthetic stock I have back on it for that. I got the Mannlischer stock from a friend, I really like the look and get a lot of compliments on it at the range.

While it's a fun gun to build and tinker with, I'm pretty much done. I haven't changed anything on it in a few years, but it's still fun to shoot. My friend has easily $1,000+ into his 10/22, and shoots dime sized groups at 30 yards, but the cost is just too high IMHO. I'd rather put that money into a handgun, or multiple other gun purchases.

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    Thanks, I'm really liking it so far. Only downside compared to the "regular" stock is weight, it is a bit heavier. I just bench shoot it though so it's not too big of a deal.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    That stock is very nice. Just sent my receiver cover and trigger group off for refinishing and rebuilding. Got a heavy barrel and stock on the way for it.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I heard it said several years ago that the AR-15 was the "Barbie Doll" of the firearms industry because of the accessories available for it. I believe the Ruger 10-22 has edged out the AR for that title. I got infected by the bug long ago but it really took hold about 2 years ago. The toll now= 6!

Flash

Top Bottom