Texas SOT

Ruger's New Precision Bolt Action Rifle....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    It looks pretty sweet for a Ruger. I am not sure what else you could even add to it, besides glass. It appears to be a complete package.

It does seem a little tall, compared to Remington 700 or a Savage, but most people are used to the size of an AR anyway.

I do like the easily replaceable bolt handles.
    Target Sports

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Total package is a lot cheaper than any aftermarket stock or chassis system combined. Initial groups with factory rounds show promise with handloads.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Total package is a lot cheaper than any aftermarket stock or chassis system combined. Initial groups with factory rounds show promise with handloads.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk
    If it shoots well at all you couldn't build that rifle for twice the price.

I really need to avoid this thread. I like that rifle.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    If it shoots well at all you couldn't build that rifle for twice the price.

I really need to avoid this thread. I like that rifle.

I guess you don't wanna know that it averaged less than .75" with factory ammo when tested by American Rifleman, then. Oops.... ;)

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    NOT HELPING!

Just watched a show on the Sportsman's channel...they were testing the rifle at the FTW ranch, ringing steel out to 1500 yards. The Ruger engineer charged with building the rifle also did a segment on the show where he explained his thought process in its design. Good stuff. I want one.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    I went and looked at one at Cabelas in Buda last night. It was in 6.5 Creedmore. Nice rifle, but one thing I noticed is that it was pretty muzzle heavy. It reminded me of my Sig 716 (that I sold) which was also very muzzle heavy. Once you put a suppressor on the thing, standing shots were a Bit*h. The adjustable stock was pretty clunky. It was functional and once set did its job, but you can tell they saved money in the stock. If it were me, I would replace the stock with an A2 stock, and install a butt weight to balance the thing out better.

For the price its a fantastic rifle, and if I didn't already have a Sako TRG (or two) I would get one. It was priced at full retail for 1199 ish

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I went and looked at one at Cabelas in Buda last night. It was in 6.5 Creedmore. Nice rifle, but one thing I noticed is that it was pretty muzzle heavy. It reminded me of my Sig 716 (that I sold) which was also very muzzle heavy. Once you put a suppressor on the thing, standing shots were a Bit*h. The adjustable stock was pretty clunky. It was functional and once set did its job, but you can tell they saved money in the stock. If it were me, I would replace the stock with an A2 stock, and install a butt weight to balance the thing out better.

For the price its a fantastic rifle, and if I didn't already have a Sako TRG (or two) I would get one. It was priced at full retail for 1199 ish
    Nose heavy is par for the course on heavy barrel target style rifles. They aren't designed to be fired from standing positions although can be done stably with a sling.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    I never pulled the trigger since it was locked. It will work as is in many ways, and if I needed a precision rifle, I wouldn't hesitate to get one. I have shot in many tactical competitions, and you have to shoot in all positions such as standing, kneeling, sitting etc. A well balanced rifle makes that easier.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I never pulled the trigger since it was locked. It will work as is in many ways, and if I needed a precision rifle, I wouldn't hesitate to get one. I have shot in many tactical competitions, and you have to shoot in all positions such as standing, kneeling, sitting etc. A well balanced rifle makes that easier.
    truth. this is not really set up as a tactical rifle nor was it intended to be.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    It's a few pounds lighter than some of the popular rifles in prs and pretty close to some of the builds used with the carbon fiber stocks.
    truth. this is not really set up as a tactical rifle nor was it intended to be.
    What is the design intended for. Seems most reviews imply it as a intro rifle for prs, which most consider "tactical ".

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    It's a few pounds lighter than some of the popular rifles in prs and pretty close to some of the builds used with the carbon fiber stocks.

What is the design intended for. Seems most reviews imply it as a intro rifle for prs, which most consider "tactical ".
    I dunno, but I guess I consider precision rifle and tactical rifle as two different things--admittedly with some intersecting involvement, but two different pursuits. I guess I don't consider a tactical rifle as a 1,000yd player whereas I view a precision rifle as capable in that realm.

Also, my understanding of the PRS is that it is meant to be a pinnacle competition--drawing the best long-range shooters in from several different disciplines . . . tactical, practical, and sniper.

Last edited:

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I may have to take a look into this rifle with all the info here so far. I could use a nice bolt action that isn't a Mosin. Currently everything is semi-auto or lever.

41magnut

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2015
    If one is interested in NRA High Power competition or desire to move from service rifle or start with a Match Rifle Bolt Gun this is a from all indications a good option. Just to buy a chassis or across the course stock will run just a bit less than this will for a complete rifle. Add front (assuming the barrel tenon is square) and rear sights and your off to Camp Perry. All three calibers are more than adequate for HP & your are in for 40-50% less than a typical built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom