• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    the weight standards have changed quite a bit - if you're over the table- they body fat test you.......i'm far far away from being an ectomorph (what the height/weight tables are based on) - and i was usually able to pass the body fat test because of my build
    Hurley's Gold

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    the weight standards have changed quite a bit - if you're over the table- they body fat test you.......i'm far far away from being an ectomorph (what the height/weight tables are based on) - and i was usually able to pass the body fat test because of my build
    I was down at Ft Sam the other day and I know fat soldiers when I see them, WOW, I could not believe my eyes on men and women so fat that waddled when they walked.

I just had my BMI done last week and he pulled it from 3 locations then averaged it out and my BMI is at 14.5%, 193 lbs, 6'2".

67″ (5' 7")176 lbs. (Over 40) max

74″ (6' 2")214 lbs. (Over 40) Max
    This is what I found for 2013: Army Height and Weight Standards for 2012-2013

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    awesome for you!
    LOL, not sure I would say that, hell I am nearly 70, but I am active and while I do not diet I do mostly eat fairly healthy, most of the time. I am not afriad of work and I do work hard here on the place.

My motivation is two of my best friends from High School. Kenneth was a LEO, played football, Marine Recon, stayed in good shape all his life, John, played football, Marine Recon, active, stayed in good shape all his life.

They both retired about 4 years ago, maybe 5, about the same time. Kenneth now weighs over 350 according to him, John is around 275 according to him, both are almost 6' tall. 3 mo ago, Kenneth had 2 strokes, John had a stroke last month.

They retired, sat on the couch with a TV remote and that was it. Motivates me to NOT sit on the couch...

nonattrit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Fort Hood Area
    What military are you in? What happened to weight standards. I saw guys get the boot with 14 years service that were only a few lbs over weight by the tables. At 6'2" IIRC my weight limit when I was 47 was 212, maybe 214 MAX...??????????

Cowboy, If your inferring I'm fat. I'm not. I'm a scout pilot/survival instructor and do a couple of other things for the DOD. I work out allot ergo I'm still on active duty - However, yes there are some fat a@#'s in our ranks. Mostly due to the DOD letting everyone in for the war. Times are changing.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Cowboy, If your inferring I'm fat. I'm not. I'm a scout pilot/survival instructor and do a couple of other things for the DOD. I work out allot ergo I'm still on active duty - However, yes there are some fat a@#'s in our ranks. Mostly due to the DOD letting everyone in for the war. Times are changing.
    Well after spending an afternoon on Ft Sam, which is a major training base for all services, I was STUNNED at what i saw walking around, I know blubber when I see it and I saw plenty of it.

If you are 5'7"/254 what in the world is your BMI, its must be down in single digits...

nonattrit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Fort Hood Area
    The charts say 38 - I should be dead...but I tape at 23. Meh, BMI is just a guide and about as accurate as the Army's BS tape test. For your real fatness you'd probably have to get your specific gravity measured. In the mean time a mirror says everything.

nonattrit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Fort Hood Area
    Yeah, my whole career the Army has given me a hard time - 30 years next June and I’m dropping papers! The really funny thing is I’m supposed to weight 187lbs for my height. Let’s see, your acft just crashed, burning, and your stuck – do you really want that 187lb guy trying to pull you free or me?

Anyway, we are way off topic…..Running is a great way to stay healthy – way more healthy than the forum troll’n we just did.

AustinPynes

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2014
    Brushy Creek North
    Old thread...new member so here goes....58...ex-squid...father...grandfather...runner 5 days a week...P90x for the rest of the body 6 days...but running is agony until mile 2...then for me it gets easier and I am in the zone..kind of like cross country motorcycle riding...after 2 days my butt and body settles in and I feel I could ride forever....running keeps my endurance up and weight off...along with portion control....
    Had knee surgery as a 20 something but i run trails and do not pound as much as shuffle....averaging 10 min miles...nothing to boast about but it works for me...

Manu Forti

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Old thread...new member so here goes....58...ex-squid...father...grandfather...runner 5 days a week...P90x for the rest of the body 6 days...but running is agony until mile 2...then for me it gets easier and I am in the zone..kind of like cross country motorcycle riding...after 2 days my butt and body settles in and I feel I could ride forever....running keeps my endurance up and weight off...along with portion control....
    Had knee surgery as a 20 something but i run trails and do not pound as much as shuffle....averaging 10 min miles...nothing to boast about but it works for me...

Manu Forti
    There you go, there is the secret.

When I came into the Army it was common in running to slap your right foot in various Jodies. A major problem back in those days was shin splints. Mostly the Army blew it off saying it will be alright in the morning and in fact it was. So by the end of the day my legs were swollen up like balloons but gone in the am as we did another run. We ran like fanatics, many days running 25 miles, 5 miles at a time. For me, well it brought on a whole new set of problems that only my mom could solve. I would buy 36x36 Levis 501's and she would work her sewing magic and turn them into 36x26 (waist).

My arms already looked like popeye when I came in the Army, something about horses, barn and 3500 bales of hay UP in the barn and stacked, if only I had had a brother to share the joy with.. But this prepped me for running with a M 14 over my head and stuck out in front of me for miles on end.

Finally the doctors prevailed and the Army somewhere in the mid 70's decided the docs were right, we were in fact doing perm damage to many soldiers and took us out of combat boots for runs and into running shoes. About that same time a General Officer who really had a good head on his shoulders decided that physical conditioning should be branch specfic. His first move as the head of Infantry branch was to initiate a new standard for the run on the PT test (and I believe it was correct) based upon HIS view of a combat infantry soldier which he was. The standard became 5 miles in 50 min ( your way). You could run, walk, push, pull or dray yourself. His thinking was that in fact Infantry does not run, in fact no one in the Army runs, its not part of combat. We are trained to sprint in short bursts from cover and concealment points to points shooting and fighting along the way. Runners get picked off. We also carry heavy loads and move from Objective to objective, not in a run! In addition the muscle grouping and development for running is different than for cross country route step with a load of 150 lbs.

I was in a test group at Ft Benning and was amazed at how fast I could walk 5 miles. I was doing sub 8 min miles and not running, we had runners who were doing 8+ min miles. At the end guess who was the most winded and tired, not me. Sadly it was discovered that 6' 2" guys like me did it with ease and the short guys had to mostly run.

Not sure what killed the 5mi/50min standard but by the time I got to Korea it was gone or at least gone from us on the DMZ. Our standard was 15 miles, 3 hrs, with full TO&E gear and ruck which added about 112 lbs to body weight. We did that twice a week, Wed without ruck and Sat with. If you dropped out you did remedial PT for the next month every am @ 0500.

So and I guess this is still the case (I retired in 94) the Army is still running and still not training properly for combat.

Top Bottom