• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Nah, it plants subliminal messages in all your music and phone calls. Also helps with tracking your location.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Running sucks. I hated it in the military, hate it more now. At 41, i enjoy my knees. If you want cardio, swim. Swim yo ass off. Once it gets cold, hit the gym. Everything from rowing machines to bicycles. Running while good for the heart....sucks for your knees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Used to run a lot. Ran a few half marathons and a bunch of 5 and 10K's. No more. The old knees and ankles can't take the pounding. It catches up to most everyone that runs a lot, although there are some that have and extremely smooth style that lets them go longer. Now it's elliptical. Same cardio benefit and no damage to joints. Plus I can watch TV.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    "Anybody run???"

I run 6 miles a day.
    Been doing that for years.
    Works for me.
    I'm 44.
    I ran from the 60's to about '98 or '. Varied from 5 per day to ten, good deal of it was with a rucksack and 40 lbs of sand, 5 mi, 3 days a week. Then I FINALLY got hurt and had to lay off a bit, first time ever. Doc said this: You cannot run all your life, but you can walk, but keep up the running and you are gonna be so banged up that you will not be able to walk.

I finally took the Docs advice, glad I did and my hips, knees, ankles are in GREAT shape, can still do strong walks, as much as 10 miles and do it fast, nearly 70...the doc was RIGHT. So you run, run while can, but stop before you can no longer run and no longer walk either.

Used to run a lot. Ran a few half marathons and a bunch of 5 and 10K's. No more. The old knees and ankles can't take the pounding. It catches up to most everyone that runs a lot, although there are some that have and extremely smooth style that lets them go longer. Now it's elliptical. Same cardio benefit and no damage to joints. Plus I can watch TV.

YEP!

kirk10100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    I used to average 7 min miles a long time ago. Now i'm 43, 224 lbs and i average about 13 min miles. I still love running and find it very relaxing. Thank God I have never had a serious injury. Now i just go nice and slow and enjoy the nice sunsets and hot babes that run past me:mad:

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Love running. The mile stadium is a great regimen. I stopped running too, and am feeling the repercussions. Damn medical problems have me in the worst shape I've been in for the last 8years. My father was top ten in the state at Andress High school, in the seventies, so it's in the blood. All of his sons LOVE to run. Unless we have to poop. Then, it's more like a slow wobble of confusion and desperation.

Alston

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2013
    Running is the best source for keep actual fitness of the body and body muscles.Most of the people
    in the world like the running because it increase your stamina.Running is the best for the lungs health
    and reduce the extra body fat....

Last edited by a moderator:

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Most of the folks in the world are not runners, never will be. As the best fitness, it AIN'T running. Running misses many muscle groups. I was a participant in a study done on walking vs running. We walked 5 miles per day at a increasing pace, but never a run. The target was 5 mi in 50 min. I got into a stride that resulted in 8.x min miles. At the conclusion of this test which lasted about 6 mo we RAN 5 mi for time. IIRC no one in our test group of about 250 folks ran slower than they walked, most ran much faster than their walking pace. My running time dropped down into the very low 8.x, I had shaved about 30 sec off my walking time when I ran. That should have been a wakeup call to me but I went back to running anyhow.

In addition there has been study after study done in the military and walking trumps running in every one. I was a runner for over 30 years and in my heavy running years my stride was 300-350 mi per month. While today at near 70 I am truly lucky or maybe good DNA as my joints are still in good shape. But I know many who aren't, who literally ran themselves into the ground and now have bad knees, ankles, hips to show for it.

Running can and does become an addiction, I certainly had it. But my pace, miles and finally age begin to catch up with me and I finally suffered an injury that sidelined me for a very long time (broken bone spur that migrated up and behind my achilles tendon nearly cutting it in half), mostly my fault due to a belief that I could run thru the pain...pain should have been a signal to stop and see a doc. By the time I did I was on crutches and laid up for almost a year. Over that year I came to understand what more than one doc and my best friend, the Surgeon General had been telling me for many, many years. But I was a career military, Infantry, never had enough time to just walk, so I ran and ran hard and ran regularly with a rucksack on my back and 40 lbs of sand for years and years at least 2x a week for 5 miles.

As for lungs, yes it great, but few of us need to have lungs like a barrel or hold our breath for over 2 min.

If you want to run, then run, but never believe its the end all be all physical activity, its NOT! And walking, swimming, hiking will do more for you with far less detrimental effects.

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    Yes! Consistently getting a 12 minutes mile again! Pretty far cry from my best time (just under 7.5 minutes) but its an improvement that has been a long time coming.

nonattrit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Fort Hood Area
    I’m still on active duty and do run, but not like I useto. Instead of short or long runs I do a fartlek workout/elliptical run combo.For me, I get more out of it. Also, for those with running ambitions beyond aflat screen TV, make damn sure you're changing out your shoes about every twomonths or so. Especially if you’re a heavy runner and getting crusty like me(47yrs/5'8/254) - be cheap and don’t - you'll get a sports injury and be setback.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    obviously ran during a 21 year army career - then i retired and stopped.....i had surgery on the ankle and knee on my right leg - and allowed the excuse of arthritis and pain to keep from doing anything fitness related

and i got FAAAAAAAAT

then i got wise - because at 50 - the last thing i want to do is croak over from a weight induced heart attack. i also got tired of watching my friends around me enjoying life - being fit and active....i coudlnt walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded - and frankly it was embarrassing

so i put the "Couch to 5K" app on my phone and i started running.....now i run 4-5 times a week - along with doing some weight training

i am currently doing one of the 30 day fitness challenges - 30 days of squats.......talk about a quad burner. google "30 day squat challenge"...it'll kick your ass!

i've lost 60 pounds and in a lot better shape - went to Colorado and made it up to 13K feet on a 14K - i'll go back next year and reach that summit

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I’m still on active duty and do run, but not like I useto. Instead of short or long runs I do a fartlek workout/elliptical run combo.For me, I get more out of it. Also, for those with running ambitions beyond aflat screen TV, make damn sure you're changing out your shoes about every twomonths or so. Especially if you’re a heavy runner and getting crusty like me(47yrs/5'8/254) - be cheap and don’t - you'll get a sports injury and be setback.
    What military are you in? What happened to weight standards. I saw guys get the boot with 14 years service that were only a few lbs over weight by the tables. At 6'2" IIRC my weight limit when I was 47 was 212, maybe 214 MAX...??????????

Top Bottom