• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What's your take on safe companies giving police access to your personal safe?

• Positively, I've got nothing to hide.

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Yes, but only with a warrant.

Votes: 10 8.9%
    • Maybe, but only in rare circumstances.

Votes: 2 1.8%
    • No, the manufacturer has no right to supply access to my property, no exceptions.

Votes: 100 89.3%

• Total voters

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    He was arrested at his place of business and taken away. He was not at home when the feds went into his home.
    Understood. But if they had time to contact liberty they had time to contact him. Perhaps they did not want him to know they wanted access to the safe

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    No juror is going to believe he does not know the code to his own safe.
    Agreed. The video was specific about person A storing his NFA items in a safe owned by and only accessible to person A but actually sited at the home of person B. It would be illegal for B to have access to the safe.

Just because it's in your home doesn't mean it's yours.

Further, and a much more likely circumstance, is that the admissibility of evidence can be impacted. If the LEOs find something in the safe they need and their warrant was insufficient, giving them the code to open it is like agreeing to a search of your car. You no longer get to argue that the search was wrong and get the evidence tossed.

Yeah, if I have stuff in a safe and LEOs want it, they're going to have to break into that safe. The downside to me is (at least) the cost to replace the safe. The upside, though, has the potential to be as much as complete acquittal; that's too valuable to just give away.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Yeah, if I have stuff in a safe and LEOs want it, they're going to have to break into that safe. The downside to me is (at least) the cost to replace the safe. The upside, though, has the potential to be as much as complete acquittal; that's too valuable to just give away.

You would have to be a complete moron to allow someone to install a safe you do not have a code to in your home. The only exception would be if you knew the contents were legal - storing NFA for a soldier deployed overseas for example.

YMMV - I would give them the code so as not to have to buy a new safe or risk damage to the contents. BATFE already knows what is in my safe since I am FFL.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Understood. But if they had time to contact liberty they had time to contact him. Perhaps they did not want him to know they wanted access to the safe
    Potentially*, he hadnt been Mirandized, or had invoked his right to be silent following a Miranda warning. So asking further questions which could be incriminating wouldnt be allowed.

*fits based on what we think we know, but purely hypothetical

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Liberty Safe changed their policy right?
    Pretty sure they are still donating hundreds of thousands of dollars to communist , fuckwad, gun grabbing politicians………oh, you meant about giving any LEO the access code to get in…. Well, they SAID they changed their policy. But anyone/company that actively supports communists should probably be shunned by folks that actually believe in freedom.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    You would have to be a complete moron to allow someone to install a safe you do not have a code to in your home. The only exception would be if you knew the contents were legal - storing NFA for a soldier deployed overseas for example.

YMMV - I would give them the code so as not to have to buy a new safe or risk damage to the contents. BATFE already knows what is in my safe since I am FFL.
    Well, Liberty will replace/repair any of their safes that are broken into. There is no LE exemption in that policy.;)

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Agreed. The video was specific about person A storing his NFA items in a safe owned by and only accessible to person A but actually sited at the home of person B. It would be illegal for B to have access to the safe.

Further, and a much more likely circumstance, is that the admissibility of evidence can be impacted. If the LEOs find something in the safe they need and their warrant was insufficient, giving them the code to open it is like agreeing to a search of your car. You no longer get to argue that the search was wrong and get the evidence tossed.

This

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

IMG_7497.png

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    The secret to being a millionaire: Identify the problem, and YOU be the solution to the problem.

The problem here now is a bunch of Liberty Ssafes that are easily compromised with a phone call.

The person that comes up with the quick padlock replacement/fix/solution on all Liberty Safes, is going to make mega $$$.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Are you going to buy another safe?
    I have 2 Liberty Safes and one Cannon. When we move to wherever we will retire, all three safes will convey with the house we own now. I am never moving another safe. Ever. Will buy a monster safe( or build a hardened room) and have professionals move the new one to new place.

People buy more than one safe pretty often. Usually after they realize that a “64” gun safe does not really hold 64 guns.

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    I have 2 Liberty Safes and one Cannon. When we move to wherever we will retire, all three safes will convey with the house we own now. I am never moving another safe. Ever. Will buy a monster safe( or build a hardened room) and have professionals move the new one to new place.

People buy more than one safe pretty often. Usually after they realize that a “64” gun safe does not really hold 64 guns.
    I have two safes and gun room. My next home will have a new safe in the garage and a full bedroom turned into a gun room with a vault door. Had a buddy who bought a good sized bank safe. Once it was dropped off, it was a pain moving into his garage and took many failed attempts. No more big safes for me.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robertmb3
    Top Bottom