• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What's your take on safe companies giving police access to your personal safe?

• Positively, I've got nothing to hide.

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Yes, but only with a warrant.

Votes: 10 8.9%
    • Maybe, but only in rare circumstances.

Votes: 2 1.8%
    • No, the manufacturer has no right to supply access to my property, no exceptions.

Votes: 100 89.3%

• Total voters

SGT Dave

Very Tired
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 5, 2012
    Kyle, TX
    1694009589216.png
    Target Sports

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    I keep asking people, why bother even asking liberty for the combination/access? Why not just pay a locksmith $1000+ to break into the safe by any means possible? Also curious why they needed access to the guys safe. Usually if you're convicted of a crime or even if it goes to trial don't they ask you remove guns and other prohibited items from your possession on your own volition before rooting through your stuff? Kinda stupid on Liberty's behalf to just hand it over at a request from the FBI, but also smart trying to avoid legal action. I can't imagine he's the only one being convicted with a liberty safe.

Its a jan6 conviction, of course they're going overboard to send a message.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    And this is what that guy was accused of doing:https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/pr/...r-charges-actions-during-jan-6-capitol-breach

Now read that and compare those to any "charges" the BLM animals received for the destruction they caused to every major city in the US in 2020.

But to keep on topic, is the access code for electronic locks? Not familiar with what that is as the only liberty safe I have uses a mechanical lock.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Would it be better for them to use the combo, or have them shove it on its side and break into it, causing damage to everything inside?
    Doesn't really matter. You can bet that if you win and get your property returned it'll be all jacked up anyway. The process is the punishment.

Last edited:

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Only thing I got from that is that Liberty safes have a backdoor security flaw.

Yup.

I guess dial locks are superior after all.

If I had a Liberty, I'd be having the entire lock replaced ASAP.

These companies need to quit playing nicely with the Feds. The Feds do not have our best interest at heart and haven't since....well ever.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I’ve seen fort knox do the same. Granted it was a dial system so seeing as the combo was changed it was forcefully opened anyway.

Last edited:

SGT Dave

Very Tired
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 5, 2012
    Kyle, TX
    And this is what that guy was accused of doing:https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/pr/...r-charges-actions-during-jan-6-capitol-breach

Now read that and compare those to any "charges" the BLM animals received for the destruction they caused to every major city in the US in 2020.

But to keep on topic, is the access code for electronic locks? Not familiar with what that is as the only liberty safe I have uses a mechanical lock.

Now I wonder if they have master combos to their mechanical safes as well. And if so, when did they start?

Reactions: MTA

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Hard to find mechanical locks on small RSC's nowadays........Had a Cannon electronic keypad go bad once and spent over an hour with them on the phone. We finally got it open using a code that wasn't my combination. They told me not to lock it again and shipped me a new keypad over night. Customer service was good, but it shows they can still access it without your combination.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Hard to find mechanical locks on small RSC's nowadays........Had a Cannon electronic keypad go bad once and spent over an hour with them on the phone. We finally got it open using a code that wasn't my combination. They told me not to lock it again and shipped me a new keypad over night. Customer service was good, but it shows they can still access it without your combination.
    Thats the worrying part: they essentially have a "master key" by giving you a code like that. Whats to stop you from using that code they gave you on a friend (or enemy's) Canon safe?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Thats the worrying part: they essentially have a "master key" by giving you a code like that. Whats to stop you from using that code they gave you on a friend (or enemy's) Canon safe?

I was thinking the same.

And how many others were given the same.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas

lol...I didn't write it down....damn sure can't remember it....pushing numbers while on the phone. They did verify serial number was warrantied to me......although I could have been anyone....

It was one of the shop safes and had all the pistols from shelves in it....

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    lol...I didn't write it down....damn sure can't remember it....pushing numbers while on the phone. They did verify serial number was warrantied to me......although I could have been anyone....
    Right, I'm sure the serial was verifying you were actually in front of the safe and not just writing it down for a later burglary. And if they were even the slightest worried about security have a different master code for a range of serial numbers. But theres only so many master codes they can possibly think of to prevent that above scenario of writing down your own, heading over to your buddy's house and clearing him out.

Its also worrying that I could go to grandpa's house, call canon and say its not working, get the master code and take the old man's gold bars and guns to the pawn shop.

Similarly, they probably have that factory dial combination associated with the serial from the factory. I haven't spent much time around safes, but I cannot imagine changing a combination on a dial safe is easy either, so how few have even attempted to do it?

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Had a Cannon electronic keypad go bad once and spent over an hour with them on the phone. We finally got it open using a code that wasn't my combination. They told me not to lock it again and shipped me a new keypad over night. Customer service was good, but it shows they can still access it without your combination.

Sounds like they all have backdoors. The code is hopefully an algorithm applied to the serial number, which means they are unique to that safe. It also means that, if true, a simple solution is to remove all traces of the serial number from the outside of the box. But that also assumes the lock is keyed to that safe's serial number at manufacture, and honestly I have my doubts.

I’ve seen fort knox do the same. Granted it was a dial system so seeing as the combo was changed it was forcefully opened anyway.

At least with a forceful entry you'd know about it. Maybe a little Orwellian, but if anyone ever got on an important enough list, there is the possibility of a clandestine fishing expedition happening completely without your knowledge. Or worse, if that algo ever got out (disgruntled ex employee situation, what have you) now every single box with that nameplate is potentially vulnerable.

Top Bottom