• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What's your take on safe companies giving police access to your personal safe?

• Positively, I've got nothing to hide.

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Yes, but only with a warrant.

Votes: 10 8.9%
    • Maybe, but only in rare circumstances.

Votes: 2 1.8%
    • No, the manufacturer has no right to supply access to my property, no exceptions.

Votes: 100 89.3%

• Total voters

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    At least with a forceful entry you'd know about it. Maybe a little Orwellian, but if anyone ever got on an important enough list, there is the possibility of a clandestine fishing expedition happening completely without your knowledge. Or worse, if that algo ever got out (disgruntled ex employee situation, what have you) now every single box with that nameplate is potentially vulnerable.

True but it can be done in 10-15min so it’s not like they all the time in the world. Granted the tools needed aren’t typically carried by the average person performing a search warrant.
    ARJ Defense ad

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Changing the mechanical combination isn't that difficult with the right tool. I changed all of mine to the same combination.

Converting a keypad style to mechanical is a real PITA and requires you to fabricate some parts in order for it to work.
    20230906_120852.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2023
    Houston
    The warrant needs to specifically list access to that safe (description and including location within the residence). A warrant to enter property is insufficient to access a secured & locked safe. Just my opinion since I'm not a lawyer. Liberty should be sued out of existence if the warrant was lacking in any way. That's hard to do when you're rotting in jail, but maybe claiming the police and Liberty co-conspired to violate your rights would effectively hollow out the prosecutor's "case".

SGT Dave

Very Tired
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 5, 2012
    Kyle, TX
    A warrant doesn't require a third party to participate in an investigation. I don't see any legal requirement to help the police in this instance. I also believe it's naive to believe that this guy will ever see that safe, or any of its contents (or even the light of day), ever again.

Regardless, this is more evidence of the erosion of our personal property rights. When a corporation can open your safe, disable your car, or read your mail without permission, do we really own anything anymore?

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    BTW, for those who have Cannon keypads.....they recommend your 9V battery to have a minimum of 5 years shelf life left for use in their keypads.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Changing the mechanical combination isn't that difficult with the right tool. I changed all of mine to the same combination.

Converting a keypad style to mechanical is a real PITA and requires you to fabricate some parts in order for it to work. View attachment 404742
    I paid $50 to have mine changed and there is Zero trace of it.

SGT Dave

Very Tired
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 5, 2012
    Kyle, TX
    Yall do know the LE submits thousands of requests for cell phone data, social media data, and in addition to cell phone themselves with warrants? All of those entities give up the required info when faced with a warrant signed by a judge.

How is this situation any different?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    I don't think anyone is saying it's different, just equally unconstitutional and unethical.

I remember when Apple refused to cooperate with law enforcement to unlock a suspect's iPhone. Never thought I'd see the day when Apple protects your rights more than a US gun safe manufacturer.

Ausländer

Yak Shaving
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2022
    New Braunfels
    Yall do know the LE submits thousands of requests for cell phone data, social media data, and in addition to cell phone themselves with warrants? All of those entities give up the required info when faced with a warrant signed by a judge.

Those are warrants with specific search criteria. My understanding is that the Feds did not have one for the safe.

Could they have gotten one, yup.

The point of contention, imo, is that they didn't and Liberty didn't even question their 'authority' - they just rolled over.

Last edited:

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    They can get you with DNA now too without it even being in CODIS. Your eighth cousin on your moms side just sent out a 23 & me DNA sample? You're done.

To be clear, clearing cold case files and apprehending murderers is a good thing but it's still an invasion of privacy.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    I don't think anyone is saying it's different, just equally unconstitutional and unethical.

I remember when Apple refused to cooperate with law enforcement to unlock a suspect's iPhone. Never thought I'd see the day when Apple protects your rights more than a US gun safe manufacturer.
    The same Apple that removed Parlor from the App Store for refusing to censor content? The phone issue wasn’t really about protecting the customers rights. What the FBI requested from Apple was much different than what they requested from Liberty Safe.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Both my Liberty safes are S&G dial locks
    One was changed from the factory from a keypad to a dial by a locksmith

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    If you never changed it from the factory combo, they probably have it in a database somewhere.

Yep. Rule #1 with any combo is too change it from factory.

Rule #2; a search warrant can lawfully include searching the contents of a safe. If you really want to see the lock drilled, go ahead and be obstinate.

Rule #3. If you’re going to do something that’s going to result in your shit being subject to a lawful search, make sure you leave no trace and destroy all evidence.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1qwerty
    Top Bottom