• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What's your take on safe companies giving police access to your personal safe?

• Positively, I've got nothing to hide.

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Yes, but only with a warrant.

Votes: 10 8.9%
    • Maybe, but only in rare circumstances.

Votes: 2 1.8%
    • No, the manufacturer has no right to supply access to my property, no exceptions.

Votes: 100 89.3%

• Total voters

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Troubling, especially as it has ties to the fake insurrection.
    Question: I only have one old school safe. On the digital ones, can't you change your own code?
    Yep, and we did.
    I'm wondering now, in the pad's software, if there isn't also a permanent 'master' code.
    It's not a Liberty so not worried...maybe. Maybe they all do and it's just that Liberty got caught.

jnynetwk

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2023
    Victoria, TX
    Yep, and we did.
    I'm wondering now, in the pad's software, if there isn't also a permanent 'master' code.
    It's not a Liberty so not worried...maybe. Maybe they all do and it's just that Liberty got caught.
    It looks like Securam makes their electronic locks, but I suspect you're right. This is probably a lock thing more than anything and probably affects more companies. Securam claims to be a "leading supplier" for home and commercial use.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    It looks like Securam makes their electronic locks, but I suspect you're right. This is probably a lock thing more than anything and probably affects more companies. Securam claims to be a "leading supplier" for home and commercial use.
    Oh. Great.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Oh, they had a warrant to enter Hughes house. What they didn't have was a warrant, subpoena, or court order for Liberty to give up private customer info to them, they simply gave the FBI what they wanted over the phone. Liberty Safes caved, they f*cked up and they are going to pay.

And I wonder why they caved. The story gets more interesting.

If they have a warrant to get into the safe, they can get in by any means they need to use. I dont have a huge problem with Liberty providing the access code because the other option was destroying the safe and there was a warrant allowing them in (presumably).

I do applaud Liberty for henceforth not keeping any codes. My safe is cheap, but the fact the company didn't keep any backdoor codes was a plus for me.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    They have gone a new direction.

20230907_112711.jpg
    20230907_112714.jpg
    20230907_112733.jpg

TX oddball

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    DFW
    If they have a warrant to get into the safe, they can get in by any means they need to use. I dont have a huge problem with Liberty providing the access code because the other option was destroying the safe and there was a warrant allowing them in (presumably).

And I have a huge problem with Liberty, under zero legal obligation, freely giving up customer private information to authorities. You might not have a problem with it, but I guarantee you the overwhelming vast majority of gun owners take issue with this. Their tepid damage control to this comes late; they should have had this attitude before the incident, they closed the barn door after the horse left.

And now we have a company who claims to be a 2A supporter, yet they have donated to hundreds of thousands of dollars to Democrat candidates. Another Black Rfile Coffee company, I will never buy from them, and yes, I'm in the market for a new safe in the near future.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I do applaud Liberty for henceforth not keeping any codes. My safe is cheap, but the fact the company didn't keep any backdoor codes was a plus for me.
    If you believe they can expunge "your" code with a simple request, I have a bridge over Lake Gullible for sale.

They are in damage control mode now, they are paying lip service only. If anything, they're merely storing a list of "people who requested code deletion" while doing precisely nothing.

To be more frank, I don't believe there's anything to delete. The backup code is a component of the lock firmware and will always exist.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    And I have a huge problem with Liberty, under zero legal obligation, freely giving up customer private information to authorities. You might not have a problem with it, but I guarantee you the overwhelming vast majority of gun owners take issue with this. Their tepid damage control to this comes late; they should have had this attitude before the incident, they closed the barn door after the horse left.

And now we have a company who claims to be a 2A supporter, yet they have donated to hundreds of thousands of dollars to Democrat candidates. Another Black Rfile Coffee company, I will never buy from them, and yes, I'm in the market for a new safe in the near future.
    Here is what I am considering:

The FBI is more than capable and WILL enter the safe regardless of Liberty or anyone elses cooperation. I.e. keeping the FBI out of the safe cannot and will not happen, they WILL get in.

Liberty may not have had a legal obligation to provide the entry code, but given that the FBI WILL make entry to the safe, providing the code prevents damage to the safe.

Was it a little bit of a bitch move in context of Jan 6? Yeah, but a warrant is a warrant and the FBI was getting into the safe either way so having the code simply prevented the owner from having addl damage to their property.

Its really no worse than me asking an apartment manager to unlock a door so I or EMS/Fire dont have to kick it in... I dont have a big problem with them helping with a warrant and I dont have a problem with their new policy...

If Liberty is in fact BRCCing and seriously donating to those who seek to destroy all most of us stand for then **** em.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Here is what I am considering:

The FBI is more than capable and WILL enter the safe regardless of Liberty or anyone elses cooperation. I.e. keeping the FBI out of the safe cannot and will not happen, they WILL get in.

Liberty may not have had a legal obligation to provide the entry code, but given that the FBI WILL make entry to the safe, providing the code prevents damage to the safe.

Was it a little bit of a bitch move in context of Jan 6? Yeah, but a warrant is a warrant and the FBI was getting into the safe either way so having the code simply prevented the owner from having addl damage to their property.

Its really no worse than me asking an apartment manager to unlock a door so I or EMS/Fire dont have to kick it in... I dont have a big problem with them helping with a warrant and I dont have a problem with their new policy...

If Liberty is in fact BRCCing and seriously donating to those who seek to destroy all most of us stand for then **** em.

The owner of the safe gets to determine how hard fed.gov has to work to open it. NOT the manufacturer.

It is never in your best interests to even speak with alphabets. That is what lawyers are for.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    The owner of the safe gets to determine how hard fed.gov has to work to open it. NOT the manufacturer.

It is never in your best interests to even speak with alphabets. That is what lawyers are for.
    I certainly understand and won't argue against that.

I will say there is a long deserved tradition of assisting LE, both federal and various more local agencies when they are engaged in legitimate and reasonable enforcement efforts or serving the public in a community caretaking role. I am in F- the feds, all of them mood these days due to their decidedly political persecution of citizens and the banana Republic style persecution of our former president.

I've asked for and receivedd basic assistance from citizens and businesses for lot of things they were not obligated to help with, but they did because they trusted me and my badge. That the FBI and ATF have so sullied their badge through their vile disregard for the constitution is where my ire lies. That is I AM upset Liberty worked with the Feds, but the general providing assistance to LE on a warrant service does not bother me so much.

I think the anger directed at Liberty could probably be better directed at the FBI (and legislators who fund them) to put a stop to the political persecutions.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    As I understand the context, the warrant was for the contents of the home, but did not specifically include the contents of a separately secured safe. Am I wrong to then assume they didn't have the legal ability to force entry, but since the code was provided that it is now suddenly ok?

I don't want to let my emotions ruin my judgement. I don't think anyone disagrees that if the "law" wants in, they're getting in. Heck, any one of us could redneck our way in given an hour with power tools. That's not the point, and it honestly feels ... I'll just say wrong, to suggest that's somehow a defense to these actions.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    As I understand the context, the warrant was for the contents of the home, but did not specifically include the contents of a separately secured safe. Am I wrong to then assume they didn't have the legal ability to force entry, but since the code was provided that it is now suddenly ok?

I don't want to let my emotions ruin my judgement. I don't think anyone disagrees that if the "law" wants in, they're getting in. Heck, any one of us could redneck our way in given an hour with power tools. That's not the point, and it honestly feels ... I'll just say wrong, to suggest that's somehow a defense to these actions.
    Warrants are supposed to be fairly specific as to what is to be seized... they are not intended to be an authorization for a fishing expedition.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom