• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Dawico...what you think i LIKE paying the $200 tax? No, of course not. But I also know that the BATFE issued a « rule » on the braces and other crap. And I also know they can just as easily « unissue » that rule. And yes they’ve clearly done so in the past many times on many different things. But the $200 almost assured me that I am good to go. They can’t unissue a federal law, but a rule they can. In other words, quit being a lazy excuse maker, and go on your lunch break or a Saturday morning down to the local gun store that has a kiosk and do the deed. You can do the entire thing in 30 minutes. Otherwise you’re simply making excuses for what you don’t want to do (I despise paying taxes, too!) and pay the $200. Besides, then at least you’ll get a one-time experience on just how easy the new Form 1s and Form 4s really are.
    Or sit at home or at the range and keep having to buy pistol braces or whatever else they approve or might « soon disapprove » and keep going with the status quo. But the reality is that everyone complains about $200. I spent that on dinner the other night in Greune with the wife.
    You don't get what I have a problem with. It isn't about the $200.
    Lynx Defense

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have a problem with all of it.

Funny that a way to avoid the mess is "status quo" but jumping through the hoops isn't.

"Just lay back and try to enjoy it"

Wedge1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Schertz
    1. Move closer
    2. Why do you have a trust if you don’t want to pay the $200? You likely paid wayyyy more for the trust then the $200
    3. We ALL have worked a bunch of extra Saturdays. It’s called life and parent hood.
    But hey, keep your « pistol braces » and keep praying the BATFE doesn’t change their « rule ». Cause trust me, one day sooner rather than later I am afraid, the Dems are going to be incharge and a whole lot of the « uncodified » freedoms we are enjoying right now with our firearms are going away. And they would have a mountain to climb to overturn the NFA registration. You can overcome this by paying the $200 and register your lower. Also, consider this. What happens when they finally decide to put pistols and handguns on the NFA? Some of you probably don’t know this but do you realize they tried and tried VERY HARD in 1934 to make all handguns and pistols to also be on the NFA. YEAH, 100% TRUE!
    There is going to be some serious change in this country with guns when the Dems get elected. And that’s going to be soon. And it’ll suck bad! Be ready.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Some of us prefer to stay off the Feds' radar as much as possible.

If handguns are put on the NFA, I will become an outlaw upon the legislation taking effect.

I will address the brace issue when, and if, it arises.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    1. Move closer

This is possibly the dumbest thing I've read yet.

2. Why do you have a trust if you don’t want to pay the $200? You likely paid wayyyy more for the trust then the $200

Because I don't want my wife to commit a felony if she needs or wants to possess one of my SBRs or Suppressors when I'm not home.

3. We ALL have worked a bunch of extra Saturdays. It’s called life and parent hood.

Life, parenthood, NFA

One of these is not like the others.

But hey, keep your « pistol braces » and keep praying the BATFE doesn’t change their « rule ». Cause trust me, one day sooner rather than later I am afraid, the Dems are going to be incharge and a whole lot of the « uncodified » freedoms we are enjoying right now with our firearms are going away.

I don't have one.

And they would have a mountain to climb to overturn the NFA registration.

Especially with folks like you on our side.

You can overcome this by paying the $200 and register your lower.

That's not overcoming anything.

Also, consider this. What happens when they finally decide to put pistols and handguns on the NFA? Some of you probably don’t know this but do you realize they tried and tried VERY HARD in 1934 to make all handguns and pistols to also be on the NFA. YEAH, 100% TRUE!

Yeah, this is fairly common knowledge. But instead of fighting to move in the opposite direction you seem to believhave we should continue coasting towards it. Brilliant.

There is going to be some serious change in this country with guns when the Dems get elected. And that’s going to be soon. And it’ll suck bad! Be ready.

Maybe soon. Maybe not.

Wedge1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Schertz
    And one more thing. And this is just my personal observations. Pistol braces are ugly. And slide or bump sticks are super ugly. In fact they are both the ugliest things in my opinion you can put in a rifle. They are cheap and redneck. I have two registered full autos. For the life of me I couldn’t imagine any weapon I own with one of those hideous cheap redneck looking things attached to it. Sorry, don’t mean to gripe. But they’re a joke. And that same applies for these braces. Just ugly.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    My understanding is that one must still carry a copy of the stamp when one leaves the house with an NFA item, is that no longer correct?

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Good grief people. Just pay your darn $200 and be done with it. Quit being so technical and just do what I always do and register your lower. Then you can do whatever you want. Easy peasy.
    Frankly, I find it useful to have some registered as SBRs and some left as pistols. It allows for easy travel options and less headaches.

Wedge1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Schertz
    You are most certainly NOT REQUIRED to carry your NFA stamp on you. The requirement is that it must be registered. There is nothing in the NFA that says stamp must be on or about your person.

Having said that, yes, it is likely smart to do so. But not required.
    Also, there are lots of ranges that might ask you for your stamp before you shoot. When I bring out my two full autos I am routinely asked for my stamps. I gladly show it to them to prove I am lawful, not because I am required to. However, if I don’t they also don’t have to admit me.

Wedge1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Schertz
    There are jurisdictions out there that have some additional state laws pertaining to the NFA where a local officer COULD arrest you for not having your stamps on you (note: in 23 years as an officer I have NEVER done this!) but you’ll have something know as « defense to prosecution » once you show the prosecutor your stamps.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My wife and friends say I'm an asshole, they claim it based on what I say and how I act. I'm really a nice guy though.

Wedge1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Schertz
    I know I am a piece of ****. Haha. And wife and friends would totally agree!!!
    I am not quite sure why so many people have problems with the NFA on the rules. They are quite cut and dry in my opinion. Length, type, action, original intent. Pretty straight forward. The pistol brace thing is just another BS excuse to not get an SBR. Nobody is fooling anyone. We all
    Know why people get the brace. And it darn sure ain’t cause they’re handicapped. It’s cause they want a shorty and the brace is the quickest and laziest way to do it (and the ugliest).

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I am not quite sure why so many people have problems with the NFA on the rules. They are quite cut and dry in my opinion. Length, type, action, original intent. Pretty straight forward. The pistol brace thing is just another BS excuse to not get an SBR. Nobody is fooling anyone. We all
    Know why people get the brace. And it darn sure ain’t cause they’re handicapped. It’s cause they want a shorty and the brace is the quickest and laziest way to do it (and the ugliest).

People have a problem with the NFA because many people save up for the firearms they have and see no need to pay the government a tithe based on 4" of barrel length. Nor do they wish to pay a penalty because they would like to protect their hearing. Nor do they like being required to register their firearms and suppressors with the ATF. Nor do they like having to keep up with paperwork, get fingerprints, get photos, and wait months while the ATF sits on their hard earned money. It's an artificial inflation of the price of ownership and an unnecessary hardship.

It's nice that you've done well enough for yourself to not mind pissing away $200 to government bureaucracy. I feel that they already take plenty from my paycheck and don't get to wet in the trousers over the thought of paying them more in order to make a particular firearm better suited to it's intended purpose based on nothing more than making some slushy snowflake feel good.

As of yet, your only argument for the NFA is that it's "cut and dry". Cut and dry bullshit is still bullshit. SBRs aren't deadlier than rifles with 16" barrels and 26" AOL. SBS aren't more deadly than shotguns with 18" barrels. You've already admitted that they are only regulated due to an effort to ban handguns, which aren't banned. So given that the true goal was deemed unworthy there is no basis for the value of attempting to price SBSs and SBRs out of the hands of the average citizen (true goal of the $200 tax). There is no justification for it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

My point was that labels are assigned by the perception of those you interact with, not what you choose to call yourself.

Wedge1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Schertz
    Let’s be more clear. I am NOT for the NFA. But I am for if we are going to ha e to live with this law at least let’s work well within it. We ALL KNOW it is not going away. And mostly likely will get far worse when the Dems get elected, so why it start there? Let’s quit taking steps to simply « get around » the SBR rules by using these ugly braces when we are likely to see some serious changes in those embrumes after the new election.

Okay, here is why I am a HUGE supporter of working within the NFA rules a d abiding by them. I am a reservist with a TS-SCI. That means ANY and all parts of my life they investigate every five years with an SSBI. they make me sign a waiver to talk to my friends, my coworkers, my neighbors and yes even my family AT MY HOUSE! They know full well in my paperwork that I am a machine gun owner and I get routinely asked about it because the NFRTR is one of the hit items on the electronic portions of the SSBI. They know if your also a LTC or CCW registrant. I know cause they ask for mine every single time. Federal security background clearance investigations rules mandate that I must sign a waiver for them to obtain all of these!!! Do I have to sign? No, but then guess what. No job.

Top Bottom