• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chorisia26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2012
    Austin
    I have a practically brand new SA 1911 Loaded parkerized for sale. Any good shops in Austin to sell to that won't bend you over on the buy back? Thanks.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Sell it on the forum here. You'll get more money.

Concur. You'll need five posts before you can put up an ad, so tell us about yourself in another thread and contribute to a couple ongoing discussions.

Also, read and heed this: http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/guns-sale/7147-rules-read-before-you-post-ad.html; especially #4 as it seems like a lot of people are forgetting that lately.

Lastly, first dibs!

How much are you looking for? Post some pics when you can...

Cheers! M2

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    Most places will give you 60% of what it is worth so they can turn a healthy profit. Some will let you sell on consignment. But still take a bite. Better to sell FTF. Just be smart about it. Require a CHL to try and get law abiding buyer.

Long_Shot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    TX
    Texas Gun Trader works also, you can post an add there and here for more views, usually sells in a few days and at most a few weeks. Might want to read the Bill of sale even if you dont use it to make sure you make the right moves during the actuall sell.

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    See above. Shops need to turn a healthy profit and they will stick it to you when buying.
    Post here and TGT for locals wiling to buy. Just be prepared to haggle on price.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Just be smart about it. Require a CHL to try and get law abiding buyer.

I'm a CHL holder....but "requiring" one to sell someone a gun is not only stupid, but unnecessary. There's really not any measurable "advantage", you're limiting your market, and you're potentially denying a law-abiding citizen the right of gun ownership.

Not to mention showing a pretty nasty elitist attitude.....

dalto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Austin
    Curious to know how having a CHL makes someone more law abiding then someone with out one?

There are plenty of statistics that show that as a group CHL holders are statistically more law abiding then non-CHL holders. That being said, I am not sure how useful this statistic is in this context. The reality is that requiring a CHL will limit your buying population and most people are law abiding regardless of whether or not they have a CHL.

I personally think that using some common sense about who you sell to is better than just checking a CHL.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    How much are you looking for? Can you send me some pics?

Get in line!

To the OP (who hopefully will be back), don't do the 'CHL required' bit as it is--as TRN pointed out--pointless and unnecessary. Many a law-abiding Texan who can legally purchase a firearm do not have CHLs.

However, I would ask to see some sort of TX ID just to be on the safe side. That isn't necessary either, but I don't see any harm in it as long as no info from it is copied down. I usually will let a seller look at my CHL just to be comfortable that I am eligible to buy the firearm, but that is a courtesy and not a legal necessity!

And bill of sales are NOT required by Texas or Federal law for private sales!

Cheers! M2

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    I think the idea is, people with a criminal history have their CHL (cmiiw) taken away. If they have a chl, someone did a background check and they haven't messed up enough since then to have it taken away.

FlashBang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Bastrop TX
    I think the idea is, people with a criminal history have their CHL (cmiiw) taken away. If they have a chl, someone did a background check and they haven't messed up enough since then to have it taken away.

Interesting, so someone who never got their CHL and has no criminal history is somehow not as safe to sell to as someone who has a criminal history but got their CHL? You do know that someone with a criminal history ( non-felony ) can get a CHL don't you? It's your sale, but solely using a CHL as a gauge of how law abiding someone is may be a bit flawed in my book.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Interesting, so someone who never got their CHL and has no criminal history is somehow not as safe to sell to as someone who has a criminal history but got their CHL? You do know that someone with a criminal history ( non-felony ) can get a CHL don't you? It's your sale, but solely using a CHL as a gauge of how law abiding someone is may be a bit flawed in my book.

Agreed, I'm confused as well. Not having a CHL is no indication of a criminal past, nor does having one mean you haven't done something wrong either (but the holder should be legal to purchase a firearm).

There are CHL holders who commit felonies (DPS used to list stats on their website) but compared to the general public we are more "law abiding."

The bottom line is that all the seller has to do is not suspect the buyer is not a Texas resident, I take that one step further by showing proof that I am simply to put the seller's mind at ease. It is not required, I use my CHL simply because it is probably the best indicator to a seller that I am legally able to purchase the firearm.

And, as most of us know, the possession of a current CHL eliminates the need for a NICS check when purchasing from a dealer. You still have to complete a 4473, but the call is not required...

Cheers! M2

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    Require a CHL to try and get law abiding buyer.

Like most of my posts, this was poorly worded and not well thought out.

Here is where I'm coming from.:

A) I've bought and sold on texas gun trader before with good luck. And I hope the OP has a similar experience should they choose to go that way.

B) I have seen more than one ad on TGT where the seller required a CHL for purchase or trade. When I asked why they required it, their response was peace of mind. In their opinion, CHL holders, as a whole, are law abiding. Criminals with bad intentions in acquiring a gun, don't go through the process of obtaining a CHL.

C) When I realized buying guns (at shows and LGS) was easier for those with CHL I decided to get one. Part of the process included a background check, photo and fingerprints. And part of the course mentioned the numerous reasons you might have a CHL taken away. If you have one, you checked out and haven't had it taken away.

D) I know I am not going to do a background check on an individual for a personal sale, and I want to reduce (not eliminate) the chance I'm selling to someone who is buying FTF because they couldn't pass a background check.

It eases my mind if the buyer has a CHL. In my opinion, requiring a CHL does increase the chances I am
    selling to a law abiding citizen.

Are all law abiding citizens CHL carriers: no of course not. There was a time I didn't have one. Most of my friends don't and they're not criminals.

Are all CHL holders law abiding: no. There are a lot of laws to break.

But there is only so much you can gauge in a short exchange and I don't want to contribute to a criminal effort.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Many people don't understand state and federal weapons laws. There are too many laws, and it gets confusing. So we end up with stuff like bills of sale and "CHL required" because many sellers don't really know where the line of legality lies, and they want to "play it safe". An educated seller will not ask to see your CHL.

Chorisia26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2012
    Austin
    I was thinking $700. I got it new at Tex Guns and paid around $865. I've only put 175 rounds through it. Comes with case/papers/two mags/etc.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom