• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chorisia26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2012
    Austin
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I don't have a CHL myself actually, so I wouldn't require that. But I would want it to be transferred under the correct name, etc.
    Lynx Defense

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    Though not required, and I do know that several will disagree, I do take down the DL number of anyone I sell a gun to. If they will not do that no sale. Now for the reason. Let's assume the OP bought the firearm at a dealer and did the 4473. The OP is now the "buyer of record". My direct experience. A close friend bought a pistol from a dealer and shortly after that, sold it at a gun show to some guy. Three months later the dealer, also a close friend, gets called on a gun trace and has to give up his and my friend as the person he sold the gun to. The gun was used and recovered at a crime scene in Houston. Sales were in San Antonio. Yuppers, not a real high probability, but the hassle is not worth the money when I can find a buyer who will provide a DL. YMMV

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Though not required, and I do know that several will disagree, I do take down the DL number of anyone I sell a gun to. If they will not do that no sale. Now for the reason. Let's assume the OP bought the firearm at a dealer and did the 4473. The OP is now the "buyer of record". My direct experience. A close friend bought a pistol from a dealer and shortly after that, sold it at a gun show to some guy. Three months later the dealer, also a close friend, gets called on a gun trace and has to give up his and my friend as the person he sold the gun to. The gun was used and recovered at a crime scene in Houston. Sales were in San Antonio. Yuppers, not a real high probability, but the hassle is not worth the money when I can find a buyer who will provide a DL. YMMV

Given Texas laws applicable to private gun sales, neither the 4473 nor a bill of sale, DL number, etc will have any legal significance. The state does not recognize a "buyer of record" and given that you can legally sell a gun shortly after buying it shows how worthless that info or paperwork is.

And given how prominent identify theft is these days, I'm more worried about someone illegally using my personally identifiable information than I am them selling me a stolen firearm! :ohnoes:

There's always someone who has a "horror story" which drives them to such fantasies (I work with a guy who won't wear seatbelts because allegedly he had a friend die in a car accident years ago and he claims the seatbelt was to blame), but the truth is that if you do some real research on the subject and quit believing urban myths and legends, you'll realize that paperwork or information such as drivers license aren't worth the time or trouble.

Know the law and operate within it, it's that simple!

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Folks, the seller sent me pics and while it's a fine-looking 1911, I have a Springfield Lightweight Operator 1911 that is very similar.

However, in the interest of a potential win-win situation for both the seller and this pistol's future owner, I'm sharing the photos for anyone who might be considering this beautiful firearm!

SALoaded3.jpg

SALoaded2.jpg

SALoaded1.jpg

Again, I am not associated with the seller, we've just chatted via email and I'm just trying to help a brother out!

Cheers! M2

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin

Then an officer calls you and asks about the gun and you tell him you sold it. The end.

FlashBang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Bastrop TX
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I don't have a CHL myself actually, so I wouldn't require that. But I would want it to be transferred under the correct name, etc.

The only transfer that occurs is the transfer from your hand to the buyers. There is no such thing as registration or transfer of a firearm... unless you are selling an NFA regulated item.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I think the idea is, people with a criminal history have their CHL (cmiiw) taken away. If they have a chl, someone did a background check and they haven't messed up enough since then to have it taken away.

With all due respect, you couldn't tell a real one from a fake - nor would you know if it was in the process of being revoked.

More importantly, you are creating a 2nd-class citizen out of someone who simply hasn't seen a need to get a CHL.

Sorry- but you are completely, totally, irrevocably WRONG in your "must have CHL" line of thinking.....

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Like most of my posts, this was poorly worded and not well thought out.

But there is only so much you can gauge in a short exchange and I don't want to contribute to a criminal effort.

Ah....but you're okay with denying a Constitutional right to a fellow citizen when you have no cause to do so, eh?

Your posts are worded fine.....it's your thought process that needs some work!

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    Ah....but you're okay with denying a Constitutional right to a fellow citizen when you have no cause to do so, eh?

I'm not denying their right. Just refusing to conduct business. Other avenues are open.

It just so happens, the guns I sold using TGT, I never required a CHL. It just happened that each buyer had one and offered to show without asking.

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    "With all due respect, you couldn't tell a real one from a fake - nor would you know if it was in the process of being revoked."

Most criminals wouldn't take the time to fake a CHL. And no I couldn't identify if one was in the process of being revoked. Which is why I included clauses.

"More importantly, you are creating a 2nd-class citizen out of someone who simply hasn't seen a need to get a CHL".

Nope. I don't have the power to make someone a second class citizen.

"Sorry- but you are completely, totally, irrevocably WRONG in your "must have CHL" line of thinking..."

So where am I irrevocably wrong in believing that a background check is run on all CHL holders?

There are people who cannot pass a background check. Their option for obtaining a gun is private party. I wouldnt want to sell to that person so to reduce the chance of me doing that, I would consider requiring a CHL. Again I hadn't done this in the past, but going forward I might.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I would consider requiring a CHL. Again I hadn't done this in the past, but going forward I might.

Please ensure that you show that requirement in your listing - I'll know which one to avoid.

Dammit, folks - I'm sick and tired of watching some of ya'll give up your rights "to protect yourselves" when you have NO knowledge of the legal requirements. It's not only dumb, but it's absolutely sickening to watch. Some of ya'll need to walk around with a sign on your chess sayin' "I left my balls with Mommy".

KNOW the law, ADHERE to the law - but don't go making shit up in the name of some bullshit "cover your ass" crap, then expect to talk about it here without me calling you on it. Yeah - I'm perhaps one voice in the desert right now, but by God, I'm gonna speak out every time I see it.

I don't need someone playing wanna-be cop/FFL - there's already enough restrictions on us without our own creating more. Screw it - sell ALL your guns and go join the leftist gun-grabbers.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    WOW, I have been following this with a few aims. One to possibly pick up another pistol, Two get free education from some of the more knowledgeable people here on the forum and Three, most times the postings do end up being enjoyable to read.

To the OP, I wish you luck on your sale/trade and future interactions on the forum.

To those who want my personal information recorded, Yep show me the security that you are going to provide for it. Give me the assurance that you will cover the costs associated with returning my credit to me once you loose that piece of paper. You have no use for it, no official anywhere needs it or wants it. However if you believe it makes you safer to have this, feel free to ask. The answer will never change, NO. I do not trust you without knowing your qualifications to hold and protect it. But even more so, as you do not have any legal requirement to ask for it WHY? It provides you with no additional safety then what you already have. You list an item, someone contacts you, you make a meeting time and place. Transaction takes place you walk away with cash, they with the item. Six months or six years later someone official contacts you about it. Refer back to the phone number/email and you are done. I listed it for sale on... Joe Blow contacted me via this email and gave this phone number. We met at ... and you are done. IN FACT you have gone beyond what you actually needed to do.

As others have stated, why create rules/requirements/barriers when there is no need.

I avoid any item for sale that indicates they want a CHL or indicate they wish to record my info. I spent 22 years in uniform have held clearances that many do not even know exist and don't need or want a piece of paper that says I can do what many before me fought and died to obtain. I am not here to pick on those who feel they need added protection. Just stop peddling your fear to the new guys.

Top Bottom