• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nightster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Rosenberg, TX
    Thinking about selling my Bushmaster ar15 and curious about how I should go about doing it. I'd like it to be legal of course so how can I go about making sure that it is. Thanks

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    walk up to someone, ask if they wanna buy your ar15.

yes) ask them to hand over cash and then you hand over the ar15 and walk away

no) ask someone else.

Carbohydrates

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    Dallas
    As far as I know, even a bill of sale isn't necessarily required, but it's absolutely 100% a good idea to protect yourself.

The gist of it is you can sell a gun face-to-face to anybody who you do not know is ineligible to own it. I've done a lot of FTF buying and selling. I've had sellers do as little as check my driver's license to ensure I was a resident, to as much as having me sign a statement of legal eligibility to own a handgun. If I were you, I would certainly check a driver's license for residency and age, ask for a CHL if they have one, and take down their name and address off the driver's license as well as the serial number of the firearm you sold them for your own records.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    DO you have any reason to believe they could not legally own a gun?

Answer No, sell them gun and move on with no need for any BS...I mean BoS....Nope first one was right.

Answer yes, find someone else and ask start over.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Obviously bill of sale and that's it or what?

you can ask for a bill of sale, if youd like to frame it on your wall and put pretty bows next to it.

however, no you dont need a bill of sale. its not required per texas law and nobody will buy your weapon if you ask for one. unless of course, they live under a rock.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    As far as I know, even a bill of sale isn't necessarily required, but it's absolutely 100% a good idea to protect yourself.

The gist of it is you can sell a gun face-to-face to anybody who you do not know is ineligible to own it. I've done a lot of FTF buying and selling. I've had sellers do as little as check my driver's license to ensure I was a resident, to as much as having me sign a statement of legal eligibility to own a handgun. If I were you, I would certainly check a driver's license for residency and age, ask for a CHL if they have one, and take down their name and address off the driver's license as well as the serial number of the firearm you sold them for your own records.

This is not a good idea.

Carbohydrates

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    Dallas
    +1 another name to add to my do not sell or buy from list.
    I'm sorry you feel that way. I bought guns in person many times before I tried my hand at actually selling one, and all transactions I've been involved in were handled how I described, which is why I got it in my head to conduct business that way. I moved here from WA recently, though, and most of the aforementioned deals took place there. There's clearly a different style here when it comes to buying and selling and I'll certainly adjust accordingly! Last thing I'd ever want to do is ruffle feathers in a transaction over unnecessary information. I appreciate everybody's input.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'm fully willing to embrace the idea that you are correct here, but I'm curious as to why not?

It offers absolutly no protection and give your personal information to a stranger. And I believe renegade sighted several instances where it actually got the "record keeper" in trouble. If it was not renegade I opologize but may try to hunt down the thread.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    How do you imagine it does that?

You do not need my damn name or address.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    I'm sorry you feel that way. I bought guns in person many times before I tried my hand at actually selling one, and all transactions I've been involved in were handled how I described, which is why I got it in my head to conduct business that way. I moved here from WA recently, though, and most of the aforementioned deals took place there. There's clearly a different style here when it comes to buying and selling and I'll certainly adjust accordingly! Last thing I'd ever want to do is ruffle feathers in a transaction over unnecessary information. I appreciate everybody's input.

oh, well in that case i dont blame you. youre on the good list again, lol. i can certainly understand being accustomed to doing it one way, since that was what youre used to. im guessing that the law there required one?

Top Bottom