• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I ordered Astra platinums there work pretty good so far(first use), but HOLY SHIT closest shave I've ever had. The KOS gel is the way to go.
    Military Camp

Josh66

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2013
    Greenville, TX
    Yeah, the Astra blades are not bad - but the Feathers & BlueBirds (I can't really feel a significant difference between Feather & BlueBird) are just a step above. I tried the grocery store brand once, and they were shit. Shaved with them once then threw them all away. They were a few steps below a disposable Bic, lol.

But, yeah - it's a crazy difference going from multi-bladed razors that cost a few dollars each to a DE razor.

I plan on getting a straight razor soon. I hear Hart Steel is the one to get.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    I plan on getting a straight razor soon. I hear Hart Steel is the one to get.

Straights have sure gone up in price. Thanks for that link, I ordered a hex nut from them to replace the crappy brass pin in my Wade & Butcher meat chopper.

Here's a Dovo I picked up in about 2002. Paid $119 for it IIRC. Now they are like $200+ Nuts. I have about 10 straights I picked up on ebay over time, that's a good way to go if you want to save a few bucks. All you need is a norton waterstone 4000/8000 combo grid, and a strop you can bring just about any old blade back to life. I've had VERY good luck with JA Henckels blades. Best straight I own is a Henckels I paid $40 for.

yxpa.jpg

I don't use straight very often, but if there is ever a shortage of disposable razor heads, I figure I'm covered on razors for several decades.

Last edited:

Josh66

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2013
    Greenville, TX
    Straights have sure gone up in price.

I'm sure you can get a decent blade for less - but for what should be a one time purchase, it seems reasonable - hand made in the United States too. I'd rather buy the 'right one' the first time. Properly cared for, I see no reason why my son wouldn't be using it one day.

I've certainly spent many times their price on disposables over the years.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    One thing about straights is that you don't want to use the same one every day, they need time to rest between use. If you use it everyday you'll curl the cutting edge back and you'll have to rehone it, shortening the life of the blade. That's why you see those 7 day sets. A set like that might last your whole life. I certainly can understand spending some money on the good stuff, but the good stuff can still be had at a fraction of the price. It's all just 80+ years old. Nothing wrong with that. My favorite straight is my W&B from the 1870's. I'd wager it shaves better today than the day it was new. (I have better tools to take care of it than they did back then.) But the steel doesn't go bad if it's taken care of. They knew what they were doing back then.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I'm thinking about getting a shavette for now. Not as good as a straight razor but it'll work for my sideburns and edging my goatee....always **** it up with razors since I can't see it good

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    I'm thinking about getting a shavette for now. Not as good as a straight razor but it'll work for my sideburns and edging my goatee....always **** it up with razors since I can't see it good

That fusion proglide that Ole Cowboy was talking about has a 6th single blade on the back side of the head just for side burns and other lines. I picked one up to try it for $12. (gotta wait a few days to grow some scruff first) I've been using mach 3's forever, they're just fast and easy and you don't have to pull your skin etc. They're good enough, but it's hard to get in close and get your lines straight with them. Figured I'd try the new proglide power and see how I like it. I read some guy's review that says you can make the blades last a month if you blow them out/dry with canned air after you use them. Gonna see if that works.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    multi blades suck huge dick and burn the shit out of my skin a single blade1950s Gillette safety razor works great. Ill never waste money on a cartridge blade again.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    What ever works. What really fucks me up is any kind of electric razor. Chews the shit out of my skin. Now those really suck. For me at least. Someday I'd like to try a safety razor, maybe a badger hair brush with good shaving soap and all that. I got into straights because I wanted to learn how to hone them and use them. But I never got into the nice soaps, brushes, safety razors or any of that. Just kept using my gel from a can, or even bar soap or shampoo in a pinch.

The place that cuts my hair will put a hot towel on your face while they wash your hair with some menthol tea tree stuff for like $2 more. The hot towel is real nice. I wish I could find a place that went one step further and gave you an old school hot shave after that.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Theres a few around the state ones in Houston its 50 for the "cheaper" shave and 80 for the "upgraded" shave

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Shaving "like a man"? No, I'm too much of a pussy to use a straight razor to be "like a man". I have however shot and killed a charging Grizzly bear alone, stared down an adult Mountain Lion so it didn't attack me, hiked across the desert in Palmyra and walked the streets of Damascus, Syria, crossed the Allenby bridge just south of the Sea of Galilee to travel the length and breadth of Trans-Jordan, and had rifles pointed at me by IDF, PA, and Jordanian soldiers, but nothing as manly as shaving with a straight edge. Like I said, I'm a pussy.

kfc903

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Waco, TX
    Shaving "like a man"? No, I'm too much of a pussy to use a straight razor to be "like a man". I have however shot and killed a charging Grizzly bear alone, stared down an adult Mountain Lion so it didn't attack me, hiked across the desert in Palmyra and walked the streets of Damascus, Syria, crossed the Allenby bridge just south of the Sea of Galilee to travel the length and breadth of Trans-Jordan, and had rifles pointed at me by IDF, PA, and Jordanian soldiers, but nothing as manly as shaving with a straight edge. Like I said, I'm a pussy.

That's cool. Mine is big, too.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

Oh yeah? Well I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain...

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Oh yeah? Well I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain...
    You need to upgrade your avatar. The new General Zod: general_Zod.jpg

Top Bottom