• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bowserb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Houston, TX USA
    I'll be interested to hear what you guys have to say about the sheriff of Harris County leaving an unsecured firearm in his empty house...for the convenience of burglars.

IMO, anyone who leaves an unsecured firearm in an empty home is guilty of gross negligence. Our sheriff has just put another gun into the hands of criminals. Law enforcement should be held to a higher standard than ordinary citizens, as they know more than anyone, the danger of putting guns into the hands of criminals. He should be fired, but of course we know he will not. And the taxpayers of Harris County will pay to replace his stolen gun. Bad sheriff.

I will donate to, and help with the campaign of, a qualified candidate who runs against him in the next election.
    Gun Zone Deals

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I think you are a over the top on this one.

Bet a lot of folks that don't have small kids in the house leave guns outside the safe from time to time. Drawer by the bed, behind the door, closet, etc. I know I have some that are easy accessible in case of need that I don't lock up each time I leave the house.

If you think that I am guilty of 'gross negligence' because I do that.........GFYS

(If you don't like the guy, ok. Just say so.)

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Recently there was one like this in Kommiefornika. Cop had two handguns, ammo and a "sporting rifle" stolen from his home. Yes that's right, the Kommie rag called his AR15 a "sporting rifle". We all know had it been citizen Joe this happened to the rag would have called his rifle an evil black rifle baby killing automatic machine gun that can jump up and murder on its own.

Tomservo92

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    Our kid is college age and I leave my loaded CCW on my nightstand when I'm at home. However, if we leave for any extended period where I will not be taking it (such traveling internationally) or if we have guests with small children, it goes in the gun safe.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    What one leaves in their secured house (ie the doors locked) is nobody else's business. No, I have no problem with somebody who leaves their gun alone in THEIR house. I have a problem with the bag-o-shit that breaks into their house and people who try to tell other people what to do in THEIR houses.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.

Bet a lot of folks that don't have small kids in the house leave guns outside the safe from time to time. Drawer by the bed, behind the door, closet, etc. I know I have some that are easy accessible in case of need that I don't lock up each time I leave the house.

If you think that I am guilty of 'gross negligence' because I do that.........GFYS

I keep all firearms in the gun safe, except for my wife's pistol. We keep that in a small digital safe in our bedroom. It's bolted to the wall, but it wouldn't take much to rip it out and take it with pistol inside. If it wasn't for my 14 year old and the grand-kids coming over, I'd probably keep a handgun in drawer or some where I can get to it faster. Just my $.02.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    What one leaves in their secured house (ie the doors locked) is nobody else's business. No, I have no problem with somebody who leaves their gun alone in THEIR house. I have a problem with the bag-o-shit that breaks into their house and people who try to tell other people what to do in THEIR houses.

Yep.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    you're off the mark on this one. There are lots of dangerous things in my house, I don't lock up my car keys. I don't lock up my lawn mower. Or chain saw.

on a side note, had some family who were DPD. In a close nit neighborhood with several officers as neighbors. One day they had to take their ferocious looking dog to the vet overnight. When they got back from their shifts, their safe was cracked and all their off duty weapons were gone. So it doesn't matter if they're actual professional theives they'll get your guns...

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX

This ... Just wait until it happens to you and you'll be changing your tune. I've had my apartment broken into recently and they walked out with everything they could, including a lock box with several knives in it and 2 of my firearms. It's the pieces of shit that break in that are the problem. I can't say that I like nor hate the guy, but to say that it was his problem that thugs broke into his locked home? That's absurd.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    It's not against the law to leave firearms unsecured in your own home if there aren't children ("Child" means a person younger than 17 years of age) present (TPC §46.13)

Based on the law, you don't even have to lock your front door.

It is against the law to go into someone else's house to steal their stuff.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Houston, Texas

HAHA I love it!!

Heinz Bar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Spring Branch
    He should be fired, but of course we know he will not.

I will donate to, and help with the campaign of, a qualified candidate who runs against him in the next election.

You're right, he won't be fired because he is an elected official. To fire him initiate a recall petition. Otherwise, follow through on your second statement.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    I'll be interested to hear what you guys have to say about the sheriff of Harris County leaving an unsecured firearm in his empty house...for the convenience of burglars.

Ok you asked.

I think the sheriff did what many other normal, sane intelligent people do. However as you seem to feel it was his fault and not the fault of the criminal.

bowserb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Houston, TX USA
    Some of you guys are really out of touch. Chances of burglary are just too high these days. To leave an unsecured handgun in your house is negligent. If you are a peace officer, you know how stolen firearms make the world more dangerous, so you should be held to an even higher standard. If you are LEO management, like chief, captain, or sheriff, you are at the level where you know you could put citizens and police officers at greater risk when you do not secure your firearms.

At home with no kids, my handgun is near. With grandkids here, the handgun is on me or in the GunVault (r). If I leave the handgun goes with me. If the handgun cannot go, it is in the safe with the other handgun, the AR, and the Mossberg. Never if The house is empty is there a gun outside the safe. To do less is negligence and potentially helping criminals and anti gun people. If you leave loose guns in your empty house or in your car, you are part of the problem. If you do that and you are a LEO, shame on you.

The sheriff apparently had no alarm system, as he gave a range of six hours when it could have happened. No alarm, and gun not in a safe. He should not get a pass on this bit of negligence. His gun may well be in the hands of someone who will kill an innocent person, even a child. Yes, I will donate to his opponent and will have a sign for his opponent in my yard...in the next election. I will also call a talk show during the campaign and remind people of his carelessness.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I don't have a safe. I have a cheap gun cabinet that could be broken into very easily. I have no kids and live in an Apartment with my wife. We move every two years or so and sometimes within just a year, because we rent currently and don't own a home. Lets just say I want a safe, but owning one that's heavy as often as I move is not going to happen. Once we are older and own a home I will have one.

If someone does break into my apartment and takes them I will feel some neglect on my part, but I know that it's not my fault. I didn't create these thieves. For some people having an ultimate burglar proof residence is just not in the cards.

gcmj45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Houston Metro Area

IMO, anyone who leaves an unsecured firearm in an empty home is guilty of gross negligence. Our sheriff has just put another gun into the hands of criminals. Law enforcement should be held to a higher standard than ordinary citizens, as they know more than anyone, the danger of putting guns into the hands of criminals. He should be fired, but of course we know he will not. And the taxpayers of Harris County will pay to replace his stolen gun. Bad sheriff.

That the Sheriff was burgled wasn't a surprise. I've known for some time that he lived in the Heights and it's also well known that burglaries are common in the area. I don't know that I'll take the position of "gross negligence" if a gun is stolen from one's home but, it's certainly less than optimal.

As others have said, if you don't have small children or others living in your home that you wouldn't want to have access to your firearm, it's not uncommon to consider the fact it's locked in your home as "secure." Again, less than optimal but, I'm not going to call it gross negligence. It's not like he left the gun on the front porch on a plate with milk, cookies, and a sign saying "come take me."

There are thousands of cops across the country who have been the victim of burglaries and had personally owned guns stolen from their homes. Except in rabidly anti-gun jurisdictions or where the officer knowingly violated agency policy with regard to storage, being fired for it would be pretty unusual. Furthermore, I don't agree with holding law enforcement to a "higher standard." The job pulls from the same employment pool as the rest of the world...humans. I see no reason the standard should be higher for them than you or I. At the end of the day, I think all most of us want to see is cops held to the "same" standards as the rest of us. No special privileges, rights, or exemptions from the law. And while I too would gladly back a qualified candidate to run against him, this incident wouldn't be on the list of reasons to do so in my book.

That's my $0.02. But we do plan to discuss this on air tomorrow.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Some of you guys are really out of touch.

From the responses it clearly shows that you are the one out of touch, if you have not comprehended the comments in this thread, you are in the minority by a long ways. Too bad you are so set in your inflexible belief that you can not see that.

Starting to sound like a troll trying to push a liberal agenda that guns are bad and must be locked up at all times. Unrealistic.

And please, please quit trying to blame the victim!!

(We saw your type do that with George Zimmerman and girls that get raped because they showed a bit of skin, etc.)

Top Bottom