• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Lol. Even with the door unlocked its the criminal not the home owner. Do you think if a girl dresses sexy for an event its her fault if she's raped?

Good analogy! Why bowserb is blaming the victim here is beyond me. What if he had a safe and the thieves broke into it, is it still his fault? What about an alarm system, is that any guarantee? A big, mean dog? Where's it going to end?

That mentality is exactly what is killing this country, shifting accountability to others. Someone breaks into a person's house and somehow it's their fault?!?

I refuse to let fear dictate my life, I will take the proper precautions but I will not cover in a corner at the mere thought of possibilities.

Honestly, the thieves are lucky they got away with it. I would have preferred they got some of his ammo the hard way, center-point mass repeatedly!
    Gun Zone Deals

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I think it's not negligence but gross hypocrisy.

He should let the citizens of the county should be able to check his house out to see where he at least stores his duty weapon. Read below...

Sheriff to consider machine gun permits on case by case basis | Narco Confidential | a Chron.com blog

For NFA items the office has a plan to check out the applicant and where the gun would be housed, he said.

“Because the sheriff has latitude in determining what the requirements would be to earn his signature, he will require applicants give permission for a criminal background check to be conducted on them,” Bernstein said.

“And then the sheriff’s office will conduct a safety inspection of the home or other property where that weapon is to be stored to make sure it can be stored safely,” he said.

But Bernstein noted: “We consider that process up to this point to be 100 percent hypothetical in that no one has applied.”

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I think it's not negligence but gross hypocrisy

This.

OP I think plenty of us believe in the right to keep our weapons where WE see appropriate. We don't live in a nanny state and damn sure shouldn't be making excuses for criminals. I keep a loaded gun (or 2) in my truck fully aware that a thief could break the glass and get it. I also keep guns out at my house as well. If they get stolen, I am blaming the thieves not myself.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW

He should let the citizens of the county should be able to check his house out to see where he at least stores his duty weapon. Read below...

Sheriff to consider machine gun permits on case by case basis | Narco Confidential | a Chron.com blog

For NFA items the office has a plan to check out the applicant and where the gun would be housed, he said.

“Because the sheriff has latitude in determining what the requirements would be to earn his signature, he will require applicants give permission for a criminal background check to be conducted on them,” Bernstein said.

“And then the sheriff’s office will conduct a safety inspection of the home or other property where that weapon is to be stored to make sure it can be stored safely,” he said.

But Bernstein noted: “We consider that process up to this point to be 100 percent hypothetical in that no one has applied.”

tommyboy_189pyxurz.jpg

gcmj45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Houston Metro Area

Absolutely! And the line about no one applying is an outright lie. They have a BACKLOG of several THOUSAND applicants that have NEVER been processed! With the previous sheriff, you at least had hope the chief deputies might process the application eventually but, Garcia ignores them entirely.

J. Fred

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Devil's Backbone,RR32
    This.

OP I think plenty of us believe in the right to keep our weapons where WE see appropriate. We don't live in a nanny state and damn sure shouldn't be making excuses for criminals. I keep a loaded gun (or 2) in my truck fully aware that a thief could break the glass and get it. I also keep guns out at my house as well. If they get stolen, I am blaming the thieves not myself.

^^^This^^^

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Damn, this is hilarious...the man who demands to see YOUR storage doesn't comply with his own "requirements." Typical.

Dredge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Spring
    If you do not think like the anti gun left, they will win.

While I think it is important to understand the thought process if the enemy, if you actually think like them then you have already lost.

I had some firearms stolen years ago. It was not long after Houston welcomed the Katrina refugees (go figure....) This was before I had one of those big heavy metal boxes which we commonly call a safe.
    Police came by, took prints that were left and made the report.
    Here it is years later and I still get a letter from the local LE office asking if I have recovered any yet. This is apparently so they can clear their books of open cases or something. WTF? I never heard shit about any progress being made and I get a letter asking if I had recovered anything? I was under the impression it's their job to track down the bad guy/guys.
    According to you it's my fault some criminal busted thru a window, hosed my dog down with hot sauce and turned my house upside down to steal my stuff?
    You're way off base, dude.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I would speak my mind about the OP's comments, but won't, because I don't wanna get banned.

Suffice it to say.....You, sir.........ARE the enemy of gun owners.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    House was locked up the gun was secured safes are meant to slow crooks down not keep them out. I've seen top shelf gun safes opened in minutes with a pry bay or a cordless saw.

If a criminal wants something they are are going to take it especially if no ones around.

Sent from a creepy ass cracka.

gcmj45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Houston Metro Area
    +1...'cept for the creep ass cracka part. I am decidedly unqualified. :)

House was locked up the gun was secured safes are meant to slow crooks down not keep them out. I've seen top shelf gun safes opened in minutes with a pry bay or a cordless saw.

If a criminal wants something they are are going to take it especially if no ones around.

Sent from a creepy ass cracka.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    I would speak my mind about the OP's comments, but won't, because I don't wanna get banned.

Suffice it to say.....You, sir.........ARE the enemy of gun owners.

When I first saw the post, I thought long and hard about how I would respond. I thought about a victim of rape but could not word it as others have. I tried to keep my comments on a conversational or non confrontational tone because I believe this to be a VERY IMPORTANT topic. Do I agree with the OP, HELL NO. Thank you to TRN for his concise and accurate statement of how I also feel about the position taken by the OP.

If a door is closed, to open it and enter is trespass. To take anything from inside the room or house, theft. I understand that there is a bad element out there. However, unless you ( OP ) are ready to stand guard or guarantee to protect me and mine, I will leave my guns, ready for my use in my locked house when I am away. Should someone take them they are responsible for their actions and any future actions that happen due to Their criminal act. The police are not there to protect us, they are there to enforce the laws. The law allows me to store my guns, in my house. Some are in safes, some in cabinets and some are ready to use. Each and every one is out of the reach of law abiding people. None, however are in any way shape or form out of the reach of the determined and prepared criminal. Neither are yours...... If someone breaks into your home, forces your safe, will you submit to the trial and incarceration for assisting in the crime when or if a child is injured or killed?

Last edited:

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Political correctness abounds.

A man's home is his castle.

He has the right to store all of his possession in any manner he desires.

Should any other person not invited invade that property, it is not the homeowner, but the intruder who committed the crime.

Stop blaming the victim.

Go after the criminals!

bowserb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Houston, TX USA
    A gun is not the same as your camera, TV, or your grandmother's wedding ring. Something extremely valuable, like grandma's ring worth $25,000, you really don't want to lose, so it is probably in a safe, or even a safe deposit box. I'll bet your Les Baer is in a safe. A less expensive gun is just as dangerous to society if stolen, as your custom 1911. I know several gun owners. Except for one who has only a carry gun that is on his person all the time, all my gun owner friends have gun safes. They understand security and know that the right thing is securing their guns, not spouting platitudes like, "Don't blame the victim!"

Stolen guns are widely used in crimes and provide more evidence for the anti gun people who are on our backs just looking for proof that gun owners are dangers to themselves and everyone else. It only makes sense, then, that if you have a gun, you have a responsibility to keep it safe--that is, to make it more difficult to steal than your camera. Go ahead, get as hostile toward me as you want. It doesn't make you any less careless for leaving guns in your empty house unsecured. I believe the term you're failing to consider in your anger is "contributory negligence". Sure, someone can probably break into my gun safe, but they'll have to take time and effort, and they'll more likely just move on, since the alarm will be sounding. You careless, reckless hostiles here--and the sheriff of Harris County--are part of the problem with "gun crime", and no amount of name calling will change that.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Where does it end? They break into my locked house. Why wouldn't they break into my safe? Is it my fault that they did? Do I need a safe, in a safe, in a safe? I'm all into responsible gun ownership, but they are criminals when they passed the door. It's not his fault.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    A gun is not the same as your camera, TV, or your grandmother's wedding ring. Something extremely valuable, like grandma's ring worth $25,000, you really don't want to lose, so it is probably in a safe, or even a safe deposit box. I'll bet your Les Baer is in a safe. A less expensive gun is just as dangerous to society if stolen, as your custom 1911. I know several gun owners. Except for one who has only a carry gun that is on his person all the time, all my gun owner friends have gun safes. They understand security and know that the right thing is securing their guns, not spouting platitudes like, "Don't blame the victim!"

Stolen guns are widely used in crimes and provide more evidence for the anti gun people who are on our backs just looking for proof that gun owners are dangers to themselves and everyone else. It only makes sense, then, that if you have a gun, you have a responsibility to keep it safe--that is, to make it more difficult to steal than your camera. Go ahead, get as hostile toward me as you want. It doesn't make you any less careless for leaving guns in your empty house unsecured. I believe the term you're failing to consider in your anger is "contributory negligence". Sure, someone can probably break into my gun safe, but they'll have to take time and effort, and they'll more likely just move on, since the alarm will be sounding. You careless, reckless hostiles here--and the sheriff of Harris County--are part of the problem with "gun crime", and no amount of name calling will change that.

After thinking about it a bit, you are probably correct. Having a firearm unsecured in my house does in fact make it that much easier for a piece of trash to get ahold of it and use it in bad ways. Thanks for enlightening me.

But.... maybe we should be even more vigilant. Because after all, a lot of irresponsible gun owners buy those silly gun cabinets for $100 at Academy/Dicks/etc. Really, those cabinets are so easy to break into that it is really irresponsible to store your firearms in them. Now that I think about it, I remember seeing a commercial for a high end gun safe in which some hacks with crowbars were able to pry one of these $700 Academy specials open in about 2 minutes. Logically, I think we can all say that allowing a crook with a simple tool to get access to our firearms in under 2 minutes is really gross negligence as well. Wow!!!! I have figured it out. Maybe if we all kept our firearms stored at a police facility where they could be guarded 24 days a week, 52 weeks out of the year, we would really be safe and responsible. Perhaps we should even legislate this common sense measure.

bowserb - you are an idiot!

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Interesting thread.....

Safe storage is a major part of the CHL course in it's new form. 1 Whole module devoted to it. Should the state mandate all guns be stored in a safe, so they can prosecute the victim of a theft or break in or as it is now, go after only the perpetrator of the crime?

Interesting thread, indeed.....

Top Bottom