Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    In all fairness, what should they have done? He hadn’t committed a crime and it’s very difficult to commit people involuntarily for more than a few days. I agree it’s a shame but we don’t give law enforcement the tools they need. And do you really want your local LEO’s having to select who gets locked up strictly as a preventive measure?
    The price of freedom is the risk of misuse.

This is a perfect example of a person wanting to cause harm will find a way.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Apparently, FEDEX does not provide security in their stores ( armed or otherwise.) Hopefully, they will change that policy.
    Imagine the vulnerability if a bad actor knew of a shipment of valuables being shipped at a particular FedEx facility... it's always shocked me.

Reactions: gll

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Reactions: gll

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    Hopefully they will be sued into bankruptcy for providing no security and ensuring that their employees are defenseless.
    Why would the company be sued because a psyco ex employee went nuts? They FIRED him didn't they? His own mother knew he was crazy and called the FBI on him. How could Fed Ex possibly be at fault? THEY didn't ensure any one was defenseless, the employees KNEW they were "defenseless" when they walked in there. They KNEW they were "defenseless" when they came there ASKING FOR THE JOB.

NO ONE ensured they were there and that they were "defenseless" there other than their selves. They made the CHOICE that the risk was worth the reward.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Off Topic Warning
    He hadn’t committed a crime and it’s very difficult to commit people involuntarily for more than a few days.
    That's not always true if you screw up exactly the right way.

Note that things may have changed. This story is decades old and I really hope somebody in the know will tell me that things have, indeed, changed. That being said, this happened in my family.

My mom got very sick. She was almost catatonic. She just stared into space and couldn't find her mouth with a spoon, for example. After a bunch of tests, her doctor suggested that the problem may be some sort of severe mental illness and that she should go into a mental hospital. She voluntarily admitted herself to a mental institution.

Now, here's where things get interesting. Shortly after going in, a bunch more lab tests were completed and found a specific, treatable chemical imbalance in her brain. Literally a few shots, a few pills, and a couple of days later and she was completely fine. However, she was in a mental institution. The paperwork she had signed when she was admitted said she had to give 72 hours notice before checking herself out. The attending physician (Psychiatrist? I don't remember.) at the mental hospital said that it didn't matter that she was obviously cured. If she tried to leave, he had to have 72 hours notice. If she gave 72 hours notice, he would go to court and have her involuntarily committed. He said he'd never failed to get such a commitment. Further, if she just walked out, he'd do the same thing. He made it clear that if she were involuntarily committed, he'd make sure she was inside for months if not years.

She had no choice, even though she was completely sane and showed zero symptoms, but to play along and bide her time on the inside.

You know when he let her out? The day her insurance benefits maxed out.

Not only the doctor in charge but more than one worker at that hospital made it crystal clear that they always kept every patient for as long as some entity was paying the bills. The state of the person's health had nothing to do with with whether or not they were discharged; only the availability of money was pertinent. In fact, they liked involuntary commitments because the state paid at least part of those and they could keep patients for years without regard to their actual mental state.

The lesson learned? Never, ever admit yourself to a mental hospital without reading the fine print very, very carefully. It may be difficult, as you said, to commit people involuntarily as in "send the men in the white coats to collect them." But if you're already inside, you may have much, much less (effectively zero) due process available to you.

And people wonder why I don't trust most doctors...

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I had a regular customer at the Walmart I worked at. His original degree was medicine and psychiatry. After several years of practice, he went to law school on the side until he could pass the Bar exam, and dumped psychiatry. He said that at least 90% of the psychiatrists he ever met should not be diagnosing problems but should have been committed themselves. He would rather fight them in court than help them or be associated with them.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I had a regular customer at the Walmart I worked at. His original degree was medicine and psychiatry. After several years of practice, he went to law school on the side until he could pass the Bar exam, and dumped psychiatry. He said that at least 90% of the psychiatrists he ever met should not be diagnosing problems but should have been committed themselves. He would rather fight them in court than help them or be associated with them.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    I think we have sour grapes here. I was exposed to a ton of shrinks due to my Dad’s profession. I think the % should be reversed. About 10% of them were fruit loops.
    I’ve know a lot more attorneys that are pieces of shit and off in the head than shrinks that are.

Last edited:

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Why would the company be sued because a psyco ex employee went nuts? They FIRED him didn't they? His own mother knew he was crazy and called the FBI on him. How could Fed Ex possibly be at fault? THEY didn't ensure any one was defenseless, the employees KNEW they were "defenseless" when they walked in there. They KNEW they were "defenseless" when they came there ASKING FOR THE JOB.

NO ONE ensured they were there and that they were "defenseless" there other than their selves. They made the CHOICE that the risk was worth the reward.
    "Attractive nuisance"

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I think we have sour grapes here. I was exposed to a ton of shrinks due to my Dad’s profession. I think the % should be reversed. About 10% of them were fruit loops.
    I’ve know a lot more attorneys that are pieces of shit and off in the head than shrinks that are.

My experience across a wide spectrum of the medical field has been similar to Ben’s. Profit drives treatment and billing codes don’t reflect the diagnosis, especially wrt to shit included in the DSM.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    My experience across a wide spectrum of the medical field has been similar to Ben’s. Profit drives treatment and billing codes don’t reflect the diagnosis, especially wrt to shit included in the DSM.

Greed and mental illness do not necessarily correlate.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Put your money where your mouth is then. Do a voluntary admission of yourself to a mental facility for the pre-determined amount of time and then report back here with your observations and experience of that time spent there.
    Try making some since. Start taking your meds.

Top Bottom