Shooting on your own land

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by mikej, Feb 20, 2013.

1. mikej

mikej New Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Central TX
    Does anyone know where I can find a summary of the laws covering when I can shoot on my own land? I'm looking to move and I want to get enough land to where I can shoot on my property without being hassled. My google-fu is failing me and all I'm getting is results highlighting the potential coming gun control laws or other irrelevant stuff. This is Bell county, if that matters any.

2. deemus

deemus TGT Addict

Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    As long as it not in some city limits you should be good to go. Safety is key. Be careful you are not in a area that could be sucked into some local township. I've seen that happen. Place at the edge of town, then suddenly its in the city limits.

3. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    How many acres?

4. Texastransplant

Texastransplant Active Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    I know it's posted here somewhere as I have posted but from memory. Be outside the city limits, have more then 10 acres, less then 10 and their could be problems. If you land gets within the city limits you have to have at least 10 acres to even shoot a bb gun or shotgun. You have to have 50 within city limits to shoot a rifle and even some cities or counties may deny that. I know where I moved here 3 years ago, it was the reason I wanted more then 10 acres away from city limits and in questioning the seller and neighbors of any problems. Make sure you are not inside of a subdivison they may have their own rule which will effect you. I will look and see if I can find the info on this. Next county over here in Coryell.

5. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Check with county ordinances also (as well as city ordinances). Some cities do not have an ordinance against the discharging of a firearm within the city limits (believe it or not).

6. General Zod

General Zod Well-Known

Sep 29, 2012
    DFW
    On rural land - not within city limits - your primary concern is that your bullets cannot cross a property line. Within city limits or annexed areas, acreage restrictions come into play.

Correct me if I'm wrong, folks, but this is what I've been able to find out.

7. Charlie

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Many are similar but it depends entirely on the particular city or county as to the ordinances.

8. General Zod

General Zod Well-Known

Sep 29, 2012
    DFW
    The county does matter - I'm familiar mostly with Hays County, and they don't care about acreage, they care about bullets crossing property lines or public roads. Bell County could have a 10 acre requirement or somesuch.

9. Charlie

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    I don't understand your statement? If a different county doesn't care then how can Bell County have a 10 acre requirement and Hays County doesn't care. I was only stating that different counties have different ordinances. Maybe I'm misreading your post.

10. General Zod

General Zod Well-Known

Sep 29, 2012
    DFW
    Some counties put acreage restrictions on whether you can shoot on private property. Hays doesn't.