• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The easiest and most simplest way to find out is to just contact the Authority Having Jurisdiction (sheriff probably) of the particular area you're looking at moving to. They will KNOW FOR A FACT what you can and can't do on your property.
    That's a good place to start, but not all LEO's are going to fully understand the law. For example, TXARGUY's friend with 62 acres has obviously been misinformed by someone.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    That's a good place to start, but not all LEO's are going to fully understand the law. For example, TXARGUY's friend with 62 acres has obviously been misinformed by someone.

Or, was annexed pre 1981.

Rogue

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Katy, TX
    As far as I can tell, I'm perfectly legal shooting my suppressed 22LR in my back yard in my subdivision in Harris County. There's nothing in my deed restrictions against it, no laws in Harris County against it, and I'm not in any city limits. And yes, I'm positive none of the rounds are leaving my property or endangering anyone.

Not that I'm doing that or anything...

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Please post the "state law" you are referring to. I have a buddy who owns 62 acres in McKinney (surrounded by sub-divisions) that he is forbidden through city ordnance to shoot on. His family has owned the land for three generations and it used to be "out in the country" but none of that meant anything once it was annexed into the city.

He is not forbidden to shoot on that land by city ordinance. Unfortunately, however, McKinney has a population over 100,000

mikej

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Central TX
    Wow, thanks for all the discussion. Definitely gives me tons to look into, and I wasn't aware of the 50 acre exclusion, thats helpful knowledge when deciding between a 40 or 60 acre lot just 5 miles outside the city. Much appreciated.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    I agree I moved from Illinois and wanted to be somewhere, where I could shoot. I am way away from any city owned land and I did go by the 10 acre rule, that's why I made sure I had more then 10 just to be on the safe side. Nothing like haveing your own place to shoot and not worry about it or the neighbors. It's nice to hear others at times shooting too. At least hear when I heart shots I am not ducking under the window with my 45 in hand.

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    Nothing better than shooting off you own porch
    Unless you're this gentleman...
    Unsupervised.jpg

UnmanagedRecoil

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Lubbock, tX
    The Whole Law

Go To: Texas Constitution and Statutes - Home LOCAL GOVERNMENT CODE -- TITLE 7. REGULATION OF LAND USE, STRUCTURES, BUSINESSES, AND RELATED ACTIVITIES -- SUBTITLE A. -- MUNICIPAL REGULATORY AUTHORITY -- CHAPTER 229. MISCELLANEOUS REGULATORY AUTHORITY OF MUNICIPALITIES -- SUBCHAPTER A. REGULATION OF FIREARMS AND EXPLOSIVES.
    Here is one excerpt:
    Sec. 229.002. REGULATION OFDISCHARGE OF WEAPON. A municipality maynot apply a regulation relating to the discharge of firearms or other weaponsin the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the municipality or in an area annexedby the municipality after September 1, 1981, if the firearm or other weapon is:
    (1) a shotgun, air rifle orpistol, BB gun, or bow and arrow discharged:
    (A) on a tract of land of10 acres or more and more than 150 feet from a residence or occupied buildinglocated on another property; and
    (B) in a manner notreasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract;or
    (2) a center fire or rimfire rifle or pistol of any caliber discharged:
    (A) on a tract of land of50 acres or more and more than 300 feet from a residence or occupied buildinglocated on another property; and
    (B) in a manner notreasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Going through old threads here. I'm still a little confused on whether or not I can legally shoot on my property in Hays county with 5.5 acres. I've built up an earth back stop that is in a hillside and have only shot .22lr pistol with my son. It's still a little concerning whether or not the sheriff will give me a positive clearance. My lib neighbor threw 10 acres in my face and I haven't shot since (a year ago). I'm in an area where most of my neighbors shoot, full auto too. I guess I'll start with the sheriff, lord why do I live next to transplant Yanks that invaded.

bandook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2015
    Who wins when the county and city have conflicting ordinances? As in the county says it's OK but the property is also in the city limits and it has an ordinance against it?

The most restrictive ordinance applies.

ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    Going through old threads here. I'm still a little confused on whether or not I can legally shoot on my property in Hays county with 5.5 acres. I've built up an earth back stop that is in a hillside and have only shot .22lr pistol with my son. It's still a little concerning whether or not the sheriff will give me a positive clearance. My lib neighbor threw 10 acres in my face and I haven't shot since (a year ago). I'm in an area where most of my neighbors shoot, full auto too. I guess I'll start with the sheriff, lord why do I live next to transplant Yanks that invaded.

I think it depends on whether you live in one of the cities in Hays Co. The 10 acres stuff comes from a rule that says a municipality can prohibit discharging firearms in its city limits unless you're shooting shotguns on 10 acres or centerfire and rimfire rifles and pistols on 50. Or something like that. For example, Wimberley has an ordinance prohibiting the discharge of firearms. But I don't think Dripping Springs does.

I live in Hays county but not in a city. I have 6 acres and shoot suppressed, almost always subsonic, so the neighbors either can't hear it or tell where the sound is coming from. There was a guy about 1 mile away who was shooting 5.56 and a couple people complained. I believe the Sheriff said there wasn't any law against it. No charges were filed.

The problem, as you point out, are neighbors who hate guns and complain. What do they expect living out here? I tell them they might be happier in a condo in Austin.

Top Bottom