Votes: 85 84.2%

• Total voters

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Tell me exaclty how one in uniform stops a black looter, firebomber, perp, etc. from doing anything if they choose to resist and not end up being charged/fired/reprimanded for excessive force, etc.?

Real simple. The same way policing has always worked. You see a crime, you make an arrest. That is your job.

What the da, judge, defense lawyer, jury, appeals court, scotus, etc does days, weeks years later is not relevant when a crime is committed in your presence.
    ARJ Defense ad

Ioannes

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    US
    True that police are standing down due to city government orders, but they are also under orders to arrest any patriots who want to stop a statue or monument from being destroyed.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I have a feeling woke lefties are behind a lot...

d5bda09660ca7b8b1e82f7d8fa3aaeef.png

https://www.foxnews.com/us/police-abolish-video-black-lives-matter-new-york-city

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Attachments

• d5bda09660ca7b8b1e82f7d8fa3aaeef.png
      d5bda09660ca7b8b1e82f7d8fa3aaeef.png
      229.2 KB · Views: 687

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It's always educational to listen to folks from the other side, at least the ones who aren't screaming and raving. There are some good points/observations made in this video.

NOTE: I'm not taking a side. I'm just trying to enhance the quality of the debate. This has been one of the better threads we've had in a while and I'd like to see it continue.

NOTE 2: He doesn't get to the question of defunding until ~5:50. The first half of the video is a cultural commentary that leads to his attempt to justify defunding. IOW, if your attention span is too short, you won't understand the video and you shouldn't waste your time on it.

Last edited:

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    It's always educational to listen to folks from the other side, at least the ones who aren't screaming and raving. There are some good points/observations made in this video.

NOTE: I'm not taking a side. I'm just trying to enhance the quality of the debate. This has been one of the better threads we've had in a while and I'd like to see it continue.

NOTE 2: He doesn't get to the question of defunding until ~5:50. The first half of the video is a cultural commentary that leads to his attempt to justify defunding. IOW, if your attention span is too short, you won't understand the video and you shouldn't waste your time on it.

Personally, without taking sides on the issue at hand, I felt like the video was crap.

Dude reads some tweet. As we all know, a tweet is nothing. I could post a tweet right now which says that Bigfoot is battling aliens at Area 51. So dude reads a totally unsubstantiated story on the internet. Oh, look, hashtag soldier and police, this guy MUST be a former soldier and policeman, right? Not some weirdo with an axe to grind, no sir, an honest man communicating pure truth! Because nothing on the net could ever be untrue! We don't need to hear the other side of the story, right? Of course not!

OK, fwiw. Let's hear what comes next, shall we?

Around 4:29, he then says, "This is the kind of story we hear all the time"
    and then, "this really seems to be the culture in the police department" and then
    "When I do wrong, you have my back. That's what that means". Not "if I do wrong", but "when I do wrong" is the quote.

So we go from hearing some unsubstantiated junk on the internet, right up there with Bigfoot and Area 51, and this guy decides that he now has some real insight into policing in our nation, and jumps from there to conclusions and asserting that all cops will do wrong, without ever even considering that this guy's story might be total BS. His pathetic lack of critical thinking skills means there's no mental warning bells as he concludes from this dazzling display of deductive power that the police should be defunded.

Again, not taking a position on any issue related to current events. The problem, which should be screamingly obvious to anyone with two brain cells to rub together, is that unsubstantiated BS being swallowed hook, line and sinker as if it was evidence in a court room or vetted science. Critical thinking skills have vanished in America. A moron such as the clown in the video should be sent back to elementary school to learn the fundamentals he obviously missed, but instead he's making videos which actually exacerbate the problems facing America.

He then goes on to make a few seemingly obvious talking points (the police shouldn't be handling mental health calls, and the police shouldn't be handling homelessness) and hey, that sounds reasonable, right? Well tell me, when a call comes in from a woman who is screaming that some guy is trying to murder her, what should the 911 operator do:
    1) send the police
    2) ask the woman to clarify if the would-be murderer is mentally ill, homeless or "other" so that the correct category of help can be sent

If you get that question wrong, you may want to take a deep look inside.

He then talks about how Detroit apparently spends way more money on police than health, and how this is so obviously wrong. He's just huffing and puffing with certainty that this is a great injustice. Well, read this first sentence from Wikipedia:
    "As of 2018, Detroit had the third highest murder rate among major cities in the United States" . That's a really high murder rate. Hey, look at the crime rate across all American cities...Detroit ranks #2! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_crime_rate
    That's extra-extra bad!

Maybe, just maybe, the citizens of Detroit have recognized their situation, and have allocated their budget as they see fit to best address the unique problems facing their community?

No. Can't be! Mr White Liberal from Canada is here to tell us what America needs, and hey, one size fits all! The police must be defunded!

TL; DR: maybe the police do need to be defunded, maybe not. But don't let some idiot from Canada with no critical thinking skills use twitter posts to inform your opinions on the subject.

Last edited:

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Another thought. Most police depts and cities want well educated officers and their quoted standards reflect that. That quality of person costs money and they want to pay GED wages. Difficult to bring the two together except for the ones that truly want to be in public service and try to make a difference. Recruiting good officers is extremely difficult and the atmosphere over the last decade has made it worse. Not even going to comment on current conditions. Defund away and the pay drops and then you get the knuckle draggers and HS bullies on a power trip.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Another thought. Most police depts and cities want well educated officers and their quoted standards reflect that. That quality of person costs money and they want to pay GED wages. Difficult to bring the two together except for the ones that truly want to be in public service and try to make a difference. Recruiting good officers is extremely difficult and the atmosphere over the last decade has made it worse. Not even going to comment on current conditions. Defund away and the pay drops and then you get the knuckle draggers and HS bullies on a power trip.
    Much truth there

I always paid the people working for me well. And never regretted it. The return on the little bit of investment was fantastic.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Police perform many needed functions. Tracking down and arresting murderers rapists etc.
    Recovering stolen items. Vehicle accidents , And other such tasks .

All that is really needed to fix the issue with policing can be accomplished by removing 4 things.
    Remove Qualified Immunity so that individual officers can be held accountable and sued for their actions. That alone will put a stop to many cases of excess force by police.
    Abolish police unions and FOP or at least limit their contracts to negotiating salary and nothing else so they cannot circle the wagons to protect bad actors .
    Abolish civil forfeiture.

Abolish no knock warrants.

Just abolishing those 4 things would go a long way to curbing the problems with policing .

But no we dont need to nor should we defund or dismantle police.

Top Bottom