Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/129775729@N03/15958410956/

The deer in the thermal photo was 75+- yards, we spotted it's ears above the tall grass before she stood-up, I use the thermal camera for spotting while stalking and you can easly see game out to 500 yards, then the sightmark photon takes over.... this combo is very lethal.

After ths weekend, i'm moving this setup to my suppressed Blackout.... even more lethal.

Below is the link to the Therm app i'm using, it was on sale last month for$999.

Android Mobile Thermal Camera - Therm-App

Did you miss a decimal point there?
    Lynx Defense

Eddie5364

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2014
    Did you miss a decimal point there?

Didn’t miss the decimal point. ;) Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE my Sightmark Photon, I don’t think there’s any better value for a day/night scope on the market today (except maybe the new ATN X-SIGHT). That said, there nothing like Thermal for night hunting, but like most of us who can afford $7k-$9k. When I had a chance to get a Non-dedicated Thermal device under 1K, I jumped on the opportunity and I’m so glad I did. I never knew how many opportunities I missed before adding the Therm-APP to my setup.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Anybody played with theirs more? We've got a major coon problem out at the lease that we need to get under control. The feeder is about 100yds from the stand so Im wondering how it does at that distance. Has anyone used a different IR illuminator?

13 of them little bastards under there along with plenty of hogs.
    20141204_180105_zps1uxhnyyk.jpg

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Anybody played with theirs more? We've got a major coon problem out at the lease that we need to get under control. The feeder is about 100yds from the stand so Im wondering how it does at that distance. Has anyone used a different IR illuminator?

I was just out tonight. The built-in IR on the Photon XT will get you to 150 yards. It has three power settings.

Jason sells the UNV 20IR for under $200, and it probably gets me to 300 yards. It has 3 power settings and is also focusable from spot to flood.

ce8c478df9d796be9419dcfcb199189b.jpg

Eddie5364

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2014
    I was just out tonight. The built-in IR on the Photon XT will get you to 150 yards. It has three power settings.

Jason sells the UNV 20IR for under $200, and it probably gets me to 300 yards. It has 3 power settings and is also focusable from spot to flood.

ce8c478df9d796be9419dcfcb199189b.jpg

here's the one i'm using and it works great, it's custom built and at a great price.

T20 high power long range 850nm IR infrared flashlight/illuminator.

T20 High Power Long Range 850nm IR Infrared Flashlight Illuminator | eBay

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    I am loving my Photon XT. As my first NV device, it has opened my hunting opportunities significantly. Since I know where the feeders are on most of the properties at which I hunt, having $4K Gen 3 goggles would help me much more than the Photon already does.

Consider the Photon as a scope, not a scanning tool. If your properties are large, wide open fields, having a set of shooting sticks or an additional NV monocular will be what you want. Holding your whole rifle at eye level all night is not viable.

I have made the following modifications to my set up, all of which have been extremely helpful:

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Nice video, would have been more useful for somebody (me) that has basically no idea what they are looking at, if you had made a few comments.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish

20141204_180105_zps1uxhnyyk.jpg

This might answer your questions about shooting at 100yds.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/texas-hunting-fishing/63766-what-great-weekend.html#post1123217

I did take a coon at 100 yards.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Cam, just for you, I went back and added annotations to the vid. YT won't let me add audio after-the-fact.

I killed a wabbit the other night. Slo mo at the end.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Re-watched original video, added info is much appreciated, & helped ME alot, thanks!!

2nd vid now works as well.....

Top Bottom