• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    So you saying those guys fired their weapons more than a dozen rounds in their military careers without hearing protection? I would guess those guys had been in quite a few engagements, not just one home defense situation. Small price to pay in my book for being able to stay alive.

That every round remark reeks of nanny state thought process. You said you met those folks, any experience in the military yourself with it firsthand??

I was in Iraq as an IT geek. Only rounds I heard/saw fired were indirect attacks fired at me.

I have done a bit too much shooting over the years without hearing protection though and have record-able hearing loss because of it, and that was not in an enclosed situation.

Anyway, I don't want to push anything on anyone. Anything I say here is just what I do in my house.

TX-XD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    Austin
    Early forties. Confirmed damage from guns, guitars,
    fireworks, motorcycles, and women (I wish).

It all adds up. Imagine a 12 gauge indoors. That's good
    for real damage.

Running the can is both a force multiplier and safety device.
    And with mounted light/laser.

Want l'd like are:
    - tactical advantageous
    - hearing afterwards
    - legally a non issue

Looks to me like a go for a squeaky clean shot; at home,
    night, locked in for the night. Make sure the wife can run it.
    Yes, she can possess.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    Agreed, I wouldn't even consider having a suppressor on my HD pistols, but I was thinking more along the lines of a suppressor on a HD 10.5" AR.

That's the setup I'm going with (except 11.5") and I could give two flips whether it's perceived as "more evil" than having a regular-sized rifle and no suppressor in a home defense situation.

cdhknives

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Don't forget another advantage in nighttime shoots...the suppressor will reduce flash blindness by containing the flash.

Coming out of a deep sleep, still having effective vision and hearing after a first shot could be a huge advantage.

I have young kids. Wanna know what I expect them to do when awakened by a gunshot in the house? Run to my bedroom in terror. Vague shapes running towards me in the darkness, half blind and deaf, fully adrenalized after shooting an intruder...yeah, I see a potential problem.

I see no weakness in the argument to use a suppressor for a HD firearm. If you can manage the bulk, having a can on is only a plus in my opinion.

Texanjoker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    The issue is going to be whether it was a justified shoot or not. The secondary issue would be if the suppressor was legally owned or not. Even if it was illegal, that should not in itself negate a good shoot, but it could cause the shooter to be charged with the possession of the suppressor.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    The issue is going to be whether it was a justified shoot or not. The secondary issue would be if the suppressor was legally owned or not. Even if it was illegal, that should not in itself negate a good shoot, but it could cause the shooter to be charged with the possession of the suppressor.

What numbskull would keep an illegal can on the home SD weapon?

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas

Where exactly are you going to get an illegal suppressor? Nobody's going to transfer possession of one to you one without an approved Form 4 back from the BATFE and anyone who's a legal owner of a suppressor is committing a Federal crime if he allows you to keep it in your home with free access to it.

What numbskull would keep an illegal can on the home SD weapon?

Right?

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Doesn't matter what you use, a good shoot is a good shoot, whether it be with a machine gun, suppressor, sbr, subs, ect, as long as its all legally owned of course. I would want to have the biggest edge I could possibly have in my home

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    Then why would you get in trouble for using it if it's not screwed onto your firearm? What, the cops are going to assume that the oil filter you tossed in the garage with the suspicious hole in the wrong end is a suppressor? :confused:

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Then why would you get in trouble for using it if it's not screwed onto your firearm? What, the cops are going to assume that the oil filter you tossed in the garage with the suspicious hole in the wrong end is a suppressor? :confused:

Lol!!!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Doesn't matter what you use, a good shoot is a good shoot, whether it be with a machine gun, ...
    With respect, in practical terms I disagree.

I base my opinion on a lengthy article written by Massad Ayoob some years ago. You can find it here: davehayes.org » Blog Archive » The Gary Fadden Incident

Essentially, a reasonable shooting was vigorously prosecuted as murder by an attention-seeking prosecutor based solely on the fact that an automatic weapon was used. After any shooting, someone decides if they're going to prosecute you. If the person who has the say-so in your case uses their prosecutorial discretion to make your life hell just because you used a firearm they don't like, well, they can do that. They have the discretion and said discretion has been abused in the past. (Never count on a grand jury to let you off. What's the old saying? I think it goes "If they want, a DA can get a Grand Jury to hand down a true bill on a ham sandwich.")

Maybe it happened just this one time; I don't know of any other cases. Based on that one story, though, I would never choose in advance to designate a full-auto as my primary firearm for any defensive use. The risks in various after-action scenarios can too easily go sideways.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    I dunno, different political climate. Shooting a full-auto anything in this day and age is rendered nearly impossible and the stigma against them remains so I doubt anybody would ever be using a machine gun in a defensive situation. Besides, I wouldn't even tell the cops I used a suppressor unless specifically asked. They're usually only worried about the firearm used. And finally, we're in Texas and have stand-your-ground and the Castle Doctrine.

cdhknives

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    If you tamper with the firearm (remove the can and conceal that it was used) used in the shoot they are going to think you are trying to hide something...and voila they now have reasonable suspicion and no matter how good of a shoot it is they are going to dig more and more... Tampering with evidence IS a crime no matter how good of a shoot it was.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    If you tamper with the firearm (remove the can and conceal that it was used) used in the shoot they are going to think you are trying to hide something...and voila they now have reasonable suspicion and no matter how good of a shoot it is they are going to dig more and more... Tampering with evidence IS a crime no matter how good of a shoot it was.

Exactly.

sent from my dishwasher

Texanjoker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I would recommend against altering any evidence at a crime scene. If you shoot somebody, that is a crime scene. When they send the round(s) to the lab, they may find different markings on the round(s). You may then turn a good shoot into a can of worms.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    OMG, you guys have been watching too much CSI :p A) You aren't concealing anything. You'll be presenting them the firearm used in the shoot. Again, how the heck would they know? Plenty of neighbors never hear gunshots or mistake them for something else. The locals aren't going to know that you have NFA items in your house because those are Federally regulated by the ATF. B) Different markings on the rounds?? The bullet passes straight through a suppressor. If the markings on the round were altered by the suppressor, that means you had a baffle or end cap strike in which case you wouldn't have hit anybody with a bullet in the first place. More importantly, you'd have a busted can, argh!

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Two observations from my perspective..... The lawyer in me highly recommends doing nothing that could be interpreted as tampering with evidence or giving a false statement. So if you use a suppressor do not remove it or lie about it (you shouldn't be giving any statement without counsel).

Second, hearing loss isn't the main issue in my opinion. Disorientation is the real issue. I've unfortunately negligently discharged a 12 gauge inside an apartment when I was younger (long story). My ears rang so bad I was literally disoriented. I couldn't hear my buddy when I asked 20 times if he was ok. I was literally confused and disoriented to the point of being worthless. If I had to speak with my girlfriend and child during a HD situation, I doubt I could have done so in an intelligent manor. God forbid if I had to had to hand to hand fight someone or struggle to retain my weapon against someone jacked up on adrenaline or drugs. Humans have a lot of their motor skills and balance tied into their hearing. If your ears are ringing, your off balance and lost even more fine motor skills (that are already impaired by the large adrenaline dump your body just gave you when it went into "o shit" mode).

HD is every man's choice. But if I can give myself maximum advantage, I'd prefer to keep as much of my orientation, balance, and fine motor skills as possible.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    OMG, you guys have been watching too much CSI :p A) You aren't concealing anything. You'll be presenting them the firearm used in the shoot. Again, how the heck would they know? Plenty of neighbors never hear gunshots or mistake them for something else. The locals aren't going to know that you have NFA items in your house because those are Federally regulated by the ATF. B) Different markings on the rounds?? The bullet passes straight through a suppressor. If the markings on the round were altered by the suppressor, that means you had a baffle or end cap strike in which case you wouldn't have hit anybody with a bullet in the first place. More importantly, you'd have a busted can, argh!

Do the police really know you have NFA items?

And I'm not trying to be difficult, but when I shoot suppressed the brass is darker colored. I can easily spot rounds shot thru suppressor from several feet away. IMO has nothing to do with baffle strikes.

Top Bottom