• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Do the police really know you have NFA items?

And I'm not trying to be difficult, but when I shoot suppressed the brass is darker colored. I can easily spot rounds shot thru suppressor from several feet away. IMO has nothing to do with baffle strikes.

Thank you for setting this straight in a nice manner lol

sent from my dishwasher
    Guns International

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Two observations from my perspective..... The lawyer in me highly recommends doing nothing that could be interpreted as tampering with evidence or giving a false statement. So if you use a suppressor do not remove it or lie about it (you shouldn't be giving any statement without counsel).

Second, hearing loss isn't the main issue in my opinion. Disorientation is the real issue. I've unfortunately negligently discharged a 12 gauge inside an apartment when I was younger (long story). My ears rang so bad I was literally disoriented. I couldn't hear my buddy when I asked 20 times if he was ok. I was literally confused and disoriented to the point of being worthless. If I had to speak with my girlfriend and child during a HD situation, I doubt I could have done so in an intelligent manor. God forbid if I had to had to hand to hand fight someone or struggle to retain my weapon against someone jacked up on adrenaline or drugs. Humans have a lot of their motor skills and balance tied into their hearing. If your ears are ringing, your off balance and lost even more fine motor skills (that are already impaired by the large adrenaline dump your body just gave you when it went into "o shit" mode).

HD is every man's choice. But if I can give myself maximum advantage, I'd prefer to keep as much of my orientation, balance, and fine motor skills as possible.

Great point Scott... there is a reason that Flash-Bangs go flash and bang and are so effective....

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    Never noticed the darker colored brass. But then, my can is still in jail for another week or two and I've only shot friends' suppressors at the range without paying attention to what happened to the casings (not a reloader).

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Never noticed the darker colored brass. But then, my can is still in jail for another week or two and I've only shot friends' suppressors at the range without paying attention to what happened to the casings (not a reloader).

What causes that, anyway? Is it the over-pressure blowing gas/firing residue back into the chamber (and thus onto the case), or something else? I've heard of it happening before, but never seen an explanation as to what causes it or why.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    Your unburned powder and hot gases from firing the pistol expands inside the can and creates blowback. It's likely the blowback that's causing it.

I'm still not sure that a cop would recognize darker-colored casings as indicative of a suppressor shot. I've noticed with dirty-shooting brass ammo (CCI Blazer Brass comes to mind), the casings come out pretty fouled.

Last edited:

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    That's what I figured (and meant... -facedesk-). Thanks for clarifying.

And you're right. It's hard (if not impossible) to tell the difference unless you know what to look for. And even then, there are other possible explanations, e.g someone not bothering to clean their gun. Up until I cleaned my dad's Judge, every single .45 LC casing would come out black, no matter what color it was when it went in.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    I've been giving this more and more thought and I can safely say that if I ever use my suppressor for self-defense, I wouldn't mention its existence when interviewed during the investigation unless specifically asked. I don't normally ever advocate withholding info, but I forgot when I was typing my earlier responses, and I think a lot of you here either didn't know and forgot as well, that suppressors and any other NFA items are not explicitly legal in the state of Texas. Your canceled tax stamp and Form 1 or 4 is just a piece of paper you can present before a grand jury or judge as a "defense to prosecution" if the DA decides to make an issue of it.

I'd be scared sh!tless as it is to go before the grand jury and have my life in the hands of strangers to determine if I was acting in self-defense. I don't want or need the additional burden of overcoming the prejudice against an "assassin's tool" :rolleyes: like a suppressor. Although I will say that I'm more comfortable using one of my SBR's in a defensive situation since Hollywood hasn't poisoned the public with misinformation about them.

Ericstac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    TX
    ^

Yeah, one the threat is over you could take them apart and put them both in a safe. If/when the cops ask for the weapon make no talk about suppression, just say the gun is in the safe and retrieve or let them retrieve it.. Suppressor hopefully not in plain site when the safe is open.

No lie there.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Gents, there is another option to overcome the hearing loss and disorientation (thanks for the insight Tejano Scott. That post was great - very informative).
    Keep a set of electronic muffs on the nightstand alongside your HD firearm. Throw them on when you hear bump in night (if you have time).

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    Not a good idea. You want to be able to hear things clearly around you lest you get snuck up on by a bad guy or accidentally shoot your family or roommate 'cause you didn't hear them call out.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Gents, there is another option to overcome the hearing loss and disorientation (thanks for the insight Tejano Scott. That post was great - very informative).
    Keep a set of electronic muffs on the nightstand alongside your HD firearm. Throw them on when you hear bump in night (if you have time).
    Highlighted only because he gets called out for it later.....this is what I have in my bottom drawer as well.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I didn't get a pair of electronic earpro until recently, and they are freaking awesome. Unless you're in a covered shooting bay, then they might not be enough. Out on some open shooting bays like at BOTW, they work great.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I recently bought the Howard Leight "Impact Pro" set & they have a NRR of 29 or 30 depending on where you look (which I have never seen that high before). They a not for rifle shooting as they are "big", but are great for indoor ranges shooting pistols (outdoor too, lol). I keep a different set by my bed.

Huntindoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Temple
    First: A single round fired in an enclosed room will cause permanent hearing loss. In my opinion if you have the option of using a silencer and don't then you are foolish.

Second: If you use one in a self defense shooting and try to hide that fact from the police then you deserve the prison time you are likely to suffer for your stupidity. A gun fired with a silencer is very easy to tell from one that is not to anyone with experience in silenced weapons. It will also alter the powder burn pattern at distances found within most homes. If you try to hide your silencer, your story will not fit the physical evidence then you will need to explain later why you lied. Not a good way to start your journey through legal hell.

Lastly: I don't care what term you use. Silencers or suppressors. Suppressor is the more technically correct term but manufacturers and the ATF both use the term silencers.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    First: A single round fired in an enclosed room will cause permanent hearing loss. In my opinion if you have the option of using a silencer and don't then you are foolish.

Maybe. But then, when faced with "defense to prosecution" vs "legal," one has to exercise caution.

Second: If you use one in a self defense shooting and try to hide that fact from the police then you deserve the prison time you are likely to suffer for your stupidity.

It's not so much "hiding the fact" from the police as not telling them about an NFA item unless specifically asked. Their main concern is going to be what you used to protect yourself when gathering evidence, not what muzzle device may have been on it.

A gun fired with a silencer is very easy to tell from one that is not to anyone with experience in silenced weapons. It will also alter the powder burn pattern at distances found within most homes. If you try to hide your silencer, your story will not fit the physical evidence then you will need to explain later why you lied. Not a good way to start your journey through legal hell.

Which the cops are not. They are who will be grathering the evidence. You've been watching too much CSI, my friend. Powder burn patterns? Tell me how a pistol that's fired a few rounds through a suppressor looks any different from that of any other slightly fouled pistol? Mine doesn't look any different even after 100 rounds suppressed. Besides, you're not going to trial immediately, you'll be seeing a Grand Jury, first, to decide if it was justified self-defense. Besides, yours and my cases are not going to be something so high profile that they'll be treating it like the OJ Simpson case.

Lastly: I don't care what term you use. Silencers or suppressors. Suppressor is the more technically correct term but manufacturers and the ATF both use the term silencers.

I agree with you there and use the terms interchangeably depending on my audience.

Last edited:

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    It's not so much "hiding the fact" from the police as not telling them about an NFA item unless specifically asked. Their main concern is going to be what you used to protect yourself when gathering evidence, not what muzzle device may have been on it.

It's called "tampering with evidence" - not something I'd suggest doing. But, to each their own.

Top Bottom