• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huntindoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Temple
    Actually, I have never watched an episode of CSI. I was however, taught forensic pathology by the the Tarrant County Medical examiners while in Medical School. The same guys who did all of the Branch Davidian autopsies. Not to mention that before Medical School I worked for a company in Dallas doing DNA analysis under contract from the Texas AG office. You should also be aware that anyone who dies of a GSW in Texas will have an autopsy performed. This is usually not locally done unless you live in a major city. All of ours are done in Dallas or Fort Worth.

As for identifying a weapon fired with a suppressor, let's start with the threaded barrel unless someone was stupid enough to change that out as well. Next we can move on to increased residue on the empty casings and on the rounds left in the magazine (if any). There is much more residue there than can be found in a gun that is just dirty from being fired a lot and not cleaned.

If you want to believe that the people investigating a shooting are dumber than you go right ahead. Do so at your own peril.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    I think I'll just go with TXRedneck's suggestion and use my electronic hearing pro. Seems less complicated.

Last edited:

zentanker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    but ya know what I really hate? Folks that call suppressors silencers.....<g,d&rlh>
    you know what I hate? People who are petty and pedantic about the naming of that thing on the end of the gun that makes the shot quieter- the people that seem oblivious to the facts: the original patents call them "silencers", all of the major manufacturers call them "silencers", the ATF calls them "silencers", and most people who actually own them know it's completely appropriate to refer to them as "silencers". I'm kidding, of course, I don't hate you. I just wish you and people like you would get a clue before running around thinking you sound gun smart because you reject the popular (and correct) term "silencer". ;) Unless you're an 8th grade English teacher, there's no real reason to be upset when we refer to suppressors as silencers. Get over it.

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Zentanker, out of curiousity, are you able to form paragraphs on this Forum? No, this is not a joke, a couple of people (myself included) can not.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Zentanker, out of curiousity, are you able to form paragraphs on this Forum? No, this is not a joke, a couple of people (myself included) can not.

Go to "Settings", select "General Settings", then:

Message Editor Interface and select: Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls

Was having the same issue w/my laptop, and finally figured it out!!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I just wish you and people like you would get a clue before running around thinking you sound gun smart because you reject the popular (and correct) term "silencer". ;) Unless you're an 8th grade English teacher, there's no real reason to be upset when we refer to suppressors as silencers. Get over it.

Yassuh, bossman!! Ah'm SO sorry to have offended you, massuh!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Not a problem - it's been drivin' me nuts on my laptop, because I HATE not being able to break into paragraphs! Problem is, I ain't the bestest example of a "'puter literate" person.....ah'm more like the Poster Child of every IT Tech's living nightmare!

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    If you tamper with the firearm (remove the can and conceal that it was used) used in the shoot they are going to think you are trying to hide something...and voila they now have reasonable suspicion and no matter how good of a shoot it is they are going to dig more and more... Tampering with evidence IS a crime no matter how good of a shoot it was.

Case Law?

The Silencer is irrelevant to the incident. What if you remove the mag from your gun for safety reasons? Is that tampering? What if you holster the gun? What if you turn off the laser/light on your gun? No. LYING is what will get you in trouble.

ETA:

Never mind - I missed the "conceal that it was used" part. That would be part of the lying I was referring to.

Last edited:

zentanker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    Silenced means just that....suppressed, the same.

The Democratic Party calls AR-15's, and other semi auto weapons "Assault Weapons", too - do we do the same?

Totally different. There really is no valid comparison there. The silencer has been called the silencer for well over a century by the person(s) who invented them, and they continue to be called them by all of the major manufacturers and the ATF, whereas the calling of AR-15s "assault weapons" is fairly new Orwellian newspeak conjured up to specifically advance a political agenda of the left.

zNDpG3e.jpg

See that? They've always been silencers. It isn't incorrect to call them suppressors, but it is incorrect to say that the term "silencer" is incorrect since that's what they've been called since they were invented.

Let me ask you this: does a totaled car cease to be an automobile? You should think so. What do you call silverfish? I assume you hate that name too since they aren't fish and aren't made of silver.... What about funny bone? You know that's a nerve, and not a bone at all, right? Are you specifically annoyed by "silencer" or do you apply this same thought process to everything else, and just get annoyed all day every day because each and every word is not expected to be strictly literal?

Oh, and thanks for the tip on the forum settings! I can make paragraphs now! ;)

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    T

Let me ask you this: does a totaled car cease to be an automobile? You should think so. What do you call silverfish? I assume you hate that name too since they aren't fish and aren't made of silver.... What about funny bone? You know that's a nerve, and not a bone at all, right?

Why do we drive on the parkway and park on the driveway?

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Totally different. There really is no valid comparison there. The silencer has been called the silencer for well over a century by the person(s) who invented them, and they continue to be called them by all of the major manufacturers and the ATF, whereas the calling of AR-15s "assault weapons" is fairly new Orwellian newspeak conjured up to specifically advance a political agenda of the left.

See that? They've always been silencers. It isn't incorrect to call them suppressors, but it is incorrect to say that the term "silencer" is incorrect since that's what they've been called since they were invented.

Let me ask you this: does a totaled car cease to be an automobile? You should think so. What do you call silverfish? I assume you hate that name too since they aren't fish and aren't made of silver.... What about funny bone? You know that's a nerve, and not a bone at all, right? Are you specifically annoyed by "silencer" or do you apply this same thought process to everything else, and just get annoyed all day every day because each and every word is not expected to be strictly literal?

Oh, and thanks for the tip on the forum settings! I can make paragraphs now! ;)

My pleasure on the settings - drove me nuts, too!

Silencer/Suppressor......kinda like "Old Lady" and "Wife" - both mean the same, but the results can vary dependin' on the proximity of the lady in question to yer head....lol!!!

Top Bottom