DK Firearms

Skydive from edge of space is going to happen today!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Just an FYI for everyone:

While what this guy is doing is really cool, a 23 mile high skydive for crying out loud, he will not be the first person to break the sound barrier with his body. That honor belongs to Col Joseph Kittinger.

Kittenger did not break the speed of sound.
    Capitol Armory ad

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    No, Water Amplifies the amount of Atmosphere pressure you feel. There is 1 Atmosphere at Sea level, and the change of 1 to 0, is a very long ways. Where as you have compounded Atmospheres at 15 ft below, 30 ft below, and what not. Ascending while holding your breath is a very bad idea. :p

Falling from 23 miles period is bad for your health:

Wikipedia said:
    A typical HALO exercise will require a pre-breathing period (30–45 minutes) prior to jump where the jumper breathes 100% oxygen in order to flush nitrogen from their bloodstream. Also, a HALO jumper will employ an oxygen bottle during the jump. Danger can come from medical conditions affecting the jumper. For example, cigarette smoking, alcohol and drug use (including histamine antagonists, sedatives, and analgesics), anemia, carbon monoxide, fatigue and anxiety can all lead to a jumper being more susceptible to hypoxia. In addition, problems with the oxygen bottle and during the changeover from the pre-breather to the oxygen bottle can result in the return of nitrogen to the jumper's bloodstream and, therefore, an increased likelihood of decompression sickness. Theoretically, a single breath of atmospheric air may elevate the jumpers arterial nitrogen level to dangerous levels. A jumper suffering from hypoxia may lose consciousness and therefore be unable to open his parachute. A jumper suffering from decompression sickness may die or become permanently disabled from nitrogen bubbles in the bloodstream, which causes inflammation of joints.

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Falling from 23 miles period is bad for your health:

You and your wikipedia quotes... Assuming you use the appropriate gear for the task at hand, your lungs will not expand under increased pressure, when holding your breath. Your body will go from no atmosphere pressure, to one full atmosphere of pressure, going from space to sea level.

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    *Epic eyeroll*

They just aborted. All that excitement and hoopla for nothing. If red bull REALLY gave you wings, then he should have been able to FLY up there!

Dzscubie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    El Paso, Texas
    Big whoop about the sound barrier; I was just hoping to see some helmet cam footage of the earth flying toward me at 500 miles per hour and whether or not he'd survive.

Gilgondorin,

Any helmet cam would only show the earth below you, there is no ground rush or the earth rushing at you it's like floating and you only get to see the ground rushing at you when you go below the horison at about 1,800 feet or so. I did a jump from 31,000 at the World Freefall Convention and it was definitely a rush.

Scubie

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Gilgondorin,

Any helmet cam would only show the earth below you, there is no ground rush or the earth rushing at you it's like floating and you only get to see the ground rushing at you when you go below the horison at about 1,800 feet or so. I did a jump from 31,000 at the World Freefall Convention and it was definitely a rush.

Scubie

What did you do to breath?

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    You and your wikipedia quotes... Assuming you use the appropriate gear for the task at hand, your lungs will not expand under increased pressure, when holding your breath. Your body will go from no atmosphere pressure, to one full atmosphere of pressure, going from space to sea level.

Im currently in scuba diving class working on my open water cert, and, according to my CERTIFIED instructor, holding your breath underwater while having been breathing from a tank, is bad bad bad. You are just not supposed to do it.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Im currently in scuba diving class working on my open water cert, and, according to my CERTIFIED instructor, holding your breath underwater while having been breathing from a tank, is bad bad bad. You are just not supposed to do it.

With all due respect, you need to listen more closely. He's talking about ascending while holding your breath after breathing from a regulator. The air is dispensed at the proper pressure for the depth you are at. As you ascend, the pressure increases at a rate of about 1 psig for every 2.3 foot of depth you rise. It's called an air embolism, and if you ever see one, you'll never forget it, since it essentially blows the lungs out. That's why you are trained to exhale at ALL times during an ascent.

I've held my PADI cert since 1970, and qualified as an instructor back in '73. Don't dive any longer, but some things you simply don't forget if you had a good teacher - and I had one of the best.

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio

I said that in my original post, on page 1. I'm a PADI certified rescue diver, but I am at fault for not completely explaining clearly every detail.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    With all due respect, you need to listen more closely. He's talking about ascending while holding your breath after breathing from a regulator. The air is dispensed at the proper pressure for the depth you are at. As you ascend, the pressure increases at a rate of about 1 psig for every 2.3 foot of depth you rise. It's called an air embolism, and if you ever see one, you'll never forget it, since it essentially blows the lungs out. That's why you are trained to exhale at ALL times during an ascent.

I've held my PADI cert since 1970, and qualified as an instructor back in '73. Don't dive any longer, but some things you simply don't forget if you had a good teacher - and I had one of the best.

Hmmmm, he taught us to never hold, period, the ascent part, yes most definately. Right now we are working in the pool transitioning from taking mouthpiece from our mouth, blowing small bubbles out, then re-inserting and purging. Maybe he taught us this way, just so there was less to get confused.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Hmmmm, he taught us to never hold, period, the ascent part, yes most definately. Right now we are working in the pool transitioning from taking mouthpiece from our mouth, blowing small bubbles out, then re-inserting and purging. Maybe he taught us this way, just so there was less to get confused.

Sounds like it......never spent even a minute in a pool. Instructor was a hard-ass that figured we'd be diving in open water, so that's where we'd learn. His swim test was about 3X the PADI norm - and he didn't care, because he said he was there to teach divers, not swimmers that wanted to look at pretty fish.<G>

Give the devil his due.....that sumbitch taught us stuff that many advanced classes never did - but he didn't coddle us. When we had to do our ditch @ 50' and free swim to surface, he and an aide were alongside of us every foot of the way - and believe me, if he even THOUGHT you weren't exhalin', you'd get the "Jim Bailey Exhale Reminder"!

Top Bottom