DK Firearms

Skydive from edge of space is going to happen today!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Sounds like it......never spent even a minute in a pool. Instructor was a hard-ass that figured we'd be diving in open water, so that's where we'd learn. His swim test was about 3X the PADI norm - and he didn't care, because he said he was there to teach divers, not swimmers that wanted to look at pretty fish.<G>

Give the devil his due.....that sumbitch taught us stuff that many advanced classes never did - but he didn't coddle us. When we had to do our ditch @ 50' and free swim to surface, he and an aide were alongside of us every foot of the way - and believe me, if he even THOUGHT you weren't exhalin', you'd get the "Jim Bailey Exhale Reminder"!

Does sound like quite the hardass lol

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    Well... They canceled yesterday's launch too... But now they have it set for Sunday if the weather cooperates. Typical skydiving situation. Hurry up and wait...

We shall see. I know he wants to get it done!

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Guys this is happening right now live on the Discovery Channel.

About 1:45 into the ascent, and over 97,000 feet.

Probably will get real interesting in the next 15-30 minutes or about 12:30 on.............

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Ok that was awesome! Thank you live streaming!

Still don't know if he got the sound barrier yet but he's confirmed on 3 records.

Highest manned balloon flight, fastest descent, highest jump.

He did not break the longest freefall record so Kittinger's freefall record stands.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    They must be pros or something, I didn't see even one piece of duct tape :p

Great landing. Disappointed he didn't break free fall time record.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    iBGiO6fcbwnAV.gif

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Disappointed he didn't break free fall time record.

Not me, liked the fact that Kittinger got to keep at least one of his records, and participate in the entire event.

Big difference between when he did it in 1960 and today. Kittinger did not do it for the publicity, have the technology and all safety equipment, plus did it all on a Air Force paycheck.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Not me, liked the fact that Kittinger got to keep at least one of his records, and participate in the entire event.

Big difference between when he did it in 1960 and today. Kittinger did not do it for the publicity, have the technology and all safety equipment, plus did it all on a Air Force paycheck.

+1. I read about Kittinger's career today. After his high altitude jumps, he flew A-26 and then A-26Ks in Vietnam (This alone qualifies him for badass status, because that's one of the most awesome ground-attack aircraft in the history of ever! A-26 trivia - in WWII with the bomb load gone, they could out-turn a Bf-109. They also could apparently pull so much G in a turn they could snap the spar, which was a real issue with them in Vietnam.), then transitioned to the F-4. He was shot down in air combat during a voluntary 3rd tour, and spent 11 months in the Hilton.

Top Bottom