• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wedge1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Schertz
    Other than when I do my personal Form 4 I want ZERO BATFE involvement in any possible business venture. Since I would not be selling guns or transfers they have no jurisdiction over the shooting.
    DK Firearms

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I don’t have a SOT 07 or 02 so I ha r to use transférables
    Are the Forms 4 in your name as an individual or in the name of a corporation or trust? If the answer is "individual", and you wish to form some sort of corporation for this venture of yours, you're definitely going to want the assets (aka firearms) to be owned by that entity and not yourself. Just saying.

Wedge1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Schertz
    Are the Forms 4 in your name as an individual or in the name of a corporation or trust? If the answer is "individual", and you wish to form some sort of corporation for this venture of yours, you're definitely going to want the assets (aka firearms) to be owned by that entity and not yourself. Just saying.
    All my stuff is individual with ATF. I own SBR, silencers, and FA

Wedge1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Schertz
    Inherent in the usage of the gun trust vehicle for NFA is the word “trust” and I trust NO ONE other than myself owning or having rights to anynif my guns or toys.
    “Well, what about if sometimes happens to you?”
    If something ever happens to me I’ll be dead and still won’t give a F.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Inherent in the usage of the gun trust vehicle for NFA is the word “trust” and I trust NO ONE other than myself owning or having rights to anynif my guns or toys.
    “Well, what about if sometimes happens to you?”
    If something ever happens to me I’ll be dead and still won’t give a F.
    Don't lecture me. I'm giving you advice that consists of possibly insulating yourself from some small amount of financial fuckery should something go wrong and the OWNER of the offending firearm gets sued into oblivion. Would you rather that be the corporation or YOU personally?

And, for the record, I own several dozen NFA items--not in trust and not individually--but in my LLC. Have a nice day.

Wedge1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Schertz
    Don't lecture me. I'm giving you advice that consists of possibly insulating yourself from some small amount of financial fuckery should something go wrong and the OWNER of the offending firearm gets sued into oblivion. Would you rather that be the corporation or YOU personally?

And, for the record, I own several dozen NFA items--not in trust and not individually--but in my LLC. Have a nice day.
    Wasn’t lecturing. Just chatting. Dude relax.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Well, Joyce, this was not my “business plan” I was only wondering if people on here my have a few thoughts. When I do develop a business plan there will be little no consideration given to people online whom I ha e never met. But thanks for the “baked” comment SH.

I don't think "baked" was intended in a derogatory way. It was a question of how much planning you have done. How far along you were in the planning. A comparison to how long a cake has been baking.

The member was attempting to be helpful.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    So essentially you are offering FA services, which already exist at several ranges in and around San Antonio (i.e. The Bullethole, Nardis, Mission Ridge, Bandera Gun Club, etc.)...

What makes your plan any different?

Serious question...

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    There's more of an adrenaline rush when you assume personal liability for other people's safety and let strangers abuse the crap out of your irreplaceable transferables. YOLO, what could possibly go wrong?

Wedge1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Schertz
    So essentially you are offering FA services, which already exist at several ranges in and around San Antonio (i.e. The Bullethole, Nardis, Mission Ridge, Bandera Gun Club, etc.)...

What makes your plan any different?

Serious question...
    Easy, I will be more mobile, I can meet people at their land or place if they have the okay to shoot, and I could offer far more convenient terms depending on situation. And NOT $40 for 20 rounds in one darn mag like most charge

Wedge1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Schertz
    Have you factored insurance into the equation yet?
    I actually have no idea what it might cost.
    No, no. Not anywhere near that point yet. I am just asking around if anyone would like to actually do it.

Here’s why. Every single time (without exception) that I take my guns to the range inevitably I have five or six people ask about it or want to shoot it. Even for one magazine most of them have the anime on their face afterwaythat says “I’d gladly pay $50 to do that again!” If you’ve ever shot a full auto you know exactly what I mean.

So I thought maybe it could be a legitimate business idea.

Wedge1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Schertz
    And as far as insurance prices go, the percentage of people hurt and insurance paid out for rifle range is minuscule when you compare that of insurance for other professions...like dental
    Malpractice insurance. My buddy is a dentist. His monthly insurance equates to my house note!!!!

Wedge1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Schertz
    I don't think "baked" was intended in a derogatory way. It was a question of how much planning you have done. How far along you were in the planning. A comparison to how long a cake has been baking.

The member was attempting to be helpful.
    I have done very little planning. But I have a very good working knowledge of business operations so that will help. I would definitely consider organizing as an “S Corp”.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Thank you, Younggun and AustinN4, y’all are on the mark.

Wedge, I’m retired Air Force and spend my days researching business ideas for their commercialization potential and recommending whether we invest in the ideas or not. I apologize for injecting jargon - baked - into the mix. It wasn’t meant to criticize you, it’s the vocabulary I use on a daily basis looking at ideas brought to us for consideration.

Here’s the short version of our method, which has been fairly successful.

Q1. What are the features and benefits of the product or service being presented?

Q2. What is the market for the product or service?

Q3. What does the financials look like on the back of a napkin. Literally, we look at the capital expenditures necessary to breach the market and what the market is willing to pay for the product or service. From there, you can easily determine revenue - expenses to extrapolate the payback time on the initial investment.

My first thought is that if you have to be there, you might as well figure that into an hourly (or some mutation of an hour) price that is all inclusive. Makes it simple for the buyer to understand what they’re getting into.

My next thought is labor costs. I’m guessing there’s some overhead time involved before and after the range for prep and cleaning. You’ll want to capture that and figure it into your labor cost, because there’s no such thing as a free lunch.

Finally, what about Ammo? For $20/mag, does that cover your entire acquisition cost for the Ammo, including shipping, tax, etc.? Again, think of the buyer...they want two things in a transaction. Ease and perceived value.

If you make the service easy/intuitive and deliver a superb experience, perceived value is high. You don’t have to be cheapest, you have to provide the best value for the buyer’s investment in your product. And, in doing so, you’ve got to at least cover your expenses and at most make a profit.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    No, no. Not anywhere near that point yet. I am just asking around if anyone would like to actually do it.

Here’s why. Every single time (without exception) that I take my guns to the range inevitably I have five or six people ask about it or want to shoot it. Even for one magazine most of them have the anime on their face afterwaythat says “I’d gladly pay $50 to do that again!” If you’ve ever shot a full auto you know exactly what I mean.

So I thought maybe it could be a legitimate business idea.
    I know exactly what you mean.
    I also feel the same as others who mentioned having people beating on potential investments.

Wedge1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Schertz
    Thank you, Younggun and AustinN4, y’all are on the mark.

Wedge, I’m retired Air Force and spend my days researching business ideas for their commercialization potential and recommending whether we invest in the ideas or not. I apologize for injecting jargon - baked - into the mix. It wasn’t meant to criticize you, it’s the vocabulary I use on a daily basis looking at ideas brought to us for consideration.

Here’s the short version of our method, which has been fairly successful.

Q1. What are the features and benefits of the product or service being presented?

Q2. What is the market for the product or service?

Q3. What does the financials look like on the back of a napkin. Literally, we look at the capital expenditures necessary to breach the market and what the market is willing to pay for the product or service. From there, you can easily determine revenue - expenses to extrapolate the payback time on the initial investment.

My first thought is that if you have to be there, you might as well figure that into an hourly (or some mutation of an hour) price that is all inclusive. Makes it simple for the buyer to understand what they’re getting into.

My next thought is labor costs. I’m guessing there’s some overhead time involved before and after the range for prep and cleaning. You’ll want to capture that and figure it into your labor cost, because there’s no such thing as a free lunch.

Finally, what about Ammo? For $20/mag, does that cover your entire acquisition cost for the Ammo, including shipping, tax, etc.? Again, think of the buyer...they want two things in a transaction. Ease and perceived value.

If you make the service easy/intuitive and deliver a superb experience, perceived value is high. You don’t have to be cheapest, you have to provide the best value for the buyer’s investment in your product. And, in doing so, you’ve got to at least cover your expenses and at most make a profit.
    Will definitely consider all of those things when and if i decide to go go through with this plan. Very early stages but I will take all advise and counsel I can get.

P.S. Wedge is my USAF call sign.

Top Bottom