• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wedge1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Schertz
    I actually meant beating on expensive FA weapons, that some consider investments.
    Oh they are definitely investments. No doubt about that.
    FACT: I could shoot a cool one million rounds through a transferable FA and twenty years from now as long as it actually still fires and I put a little oil on it/clean it/beauty it up I could still EASILY sell it for thousands and thousands more than I paid for it. There are only 192,000 left in the wild, and that means supply side economics rules (as long as it actually fires). In fact, my guess is that in twenty years from now ALL NFA TRANSFERABLES will be at least $100,000 each!!!!!!
    Hurley's Gold

Wedge1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Schertz
    I will go further than that...I believe that in 100 years from now (assuming the US as a country still even exists) that all NFA transferables will be in museums because the Dems will eventually have an amendment to the law that says “all remaining transferables are now considered unsellable and therefore may only be destroyed, donated to a museum, or buried with the current owner and NEVER transférés again.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    People who beat on others about investment ideas generally and usually are pathetic people.
    Not sure you included me in that or not, but I spent 20 years loaning large sums of money to both existing and new businesses, both large and small. I have seen the good, the bad and the ugly. The vast majority of requests for startup small businesses I saw in the period were not good ones because they weren't very well thought out.

Wedge1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Schertz
    Not sure you included me in that or not, but I spent 20 years loaning large sums of money to both existing and new businesses, both large and small. I have seen the good, the bad and the ugly. The vast majority of requests for startup small businesses I saw in the period were not good ones because they weren't very well thought out.
    Yep, very likely true! Most small businesses are haphazardly strewn together and only succeeded out of dumb luck. I am not quite sure this will ever get passed the “hmmmmmmm, her San thought stage” but something I have considered for a while.

Wedge1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Schertz
    A buddy of mine went to Vegas over the summer and did the “machine gun tourism” thing. He paid an exhortant amount of money to shoot for about fifteen minutes on the full auto, not to mention he also paid for their range Ammo and hours on top of the rentals. Yeah, like $400!!!!
    My thought is that I could taj and buy four more guns for cash and then charge lower fees but also agree to be more mobile with more convenient times.

Here’s how it started. A guy I wirk with is a firmer Marine. He is 23 and just did his 4 and separated last year. His best friend is getting married and so Sean asked me if I would be willing to meet him and the other groomsmen st the range for a surprise shoot as a gift. Of course I did and so they each told me that any of them would gladly pay money for FA range time whoever their next get together or party was.
    Think of it sort of like a “mom’s day out at the spa getting their nails and hair done”......BUT FOR GUYS!!!!!!!

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Yep, very likely true! Most small businesses are haphazardly strewn together and only succeeded out of dumb luck. I am not quite sure this will ever get passed the “hmmmmmmm, her San thought stage” but something I have considered for a while.
    And when the small (or large, for that matter) business fails it is usually the fault of "pride of authorship".

By that I mean that the owner thinks that because they thought of it, it must be a winner, when maybe it isn't, and they don't listen to those who might be critical of their idea. Typically they have,
    1. Overestimated the demand for their goods or services, or
    2. Understimated their competition, or
    3. Both

Rule #1 for any new business - if you don't have identifiable competitive advantages, don't try to compete unless demand is overwhelmingly in excess of supply.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Oh they are definitely investments. No doubt about that.
    FACT: I could shoot a cool one million rounds through a transferable FA and twenty years from now as long as it actually still fires and I put a little oil on it/clean it/beauty it up I could still EASILY sell it for thousands and thousands more than I paid for it. There are only 192,000 left in the wild, and that means supply side economics rules (as long as it actually fires). In fact, my guess is that in twenty years from now ALL NFA TRANSFERABLES will be at least $100,000 each!!!!!!
    That is the thing about full autos. One law change (either pro 2a or against) and they are worthless as an investment.

If you just want to spend that kind of money on a full auto then great. Buying into them as a long term investment is a poor choice in my opinion.

Wedge1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Schertz
    And when the small (or large, for that matter) business fails it is usually the fault of "pride of authorship".

By that I mean that the owner thinks that because they thought of it, it must be a winner, when maybe it isn't, and they don't listen to those who might be critical of their idea. Typically they have,
    1. Overestimated the demand for their goods or services, or
    2. Understimated their competition, or
    3. Both

Rule #1 for any new business - if you don't have identifiable competitive advantages, don't try to compete unless demand is overwhelmingly in excess of supply.
    “...don’t try to compete unless demand is overwhelming in excess of supply.” Your comment is absolutely right. In this case there is no debating that fact. Every single one of you, if given the chance, would GLADLY shoot full auto. This is for certain. The only question is “at what price and at what convenience”?

Wedge1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Schertz
    That is the thing about full autos. One law change (either pro 2a or against) and they are worthless as an investment.

If you just want to spend that kind of money on a full auto then great. Buying into them as a long term investment is a poor choice in my opinion.
    “Not totally worthless. In my over two decades of law enforcement work I have met plenty of people I could EASILY sell mine to, regardless of any law in effect or changées and make a significant amount of money. And they’d gladly take the secret to their graves.
    Law ever changes and they will never be worthless. Trust me, as long as there are criminals out there there will ALWAYS be a full auto market.
    You can believe this...if I ever get told I have a medical condition that cannot be fixed and that I am 100% assured it is a death sentence (types of cancer or whatever else) then I will be selling to bidders at a VERY high price. Lol.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I wouldn't pay much at all. Maybe nothing unless it's something very interesting and I can run belt through it ripping up a car.

Maybe $5 plus ammo at store cost. For that reason, I'll never pay to shoot full auto.

A good test would be when these people come to you at the range and tel you how much they would gladly pay, ask for the money and see if they do it.

I had people telling me how they'd gladly pay for a service about a year ago. I did my homework, worked out a business model and long term plan, and when I went back with actual prices that were similar to or less than what had been talked about when it was just talk, suddenly the willingness to pay was gone. Luckily I was smart enough to withhold monetary investment until I had tested the resolve of those who were more interested in talking about spending money than actually doing it.

Wedge1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Schertz
    I wouldn't pay much at all. Maybe nothing unless it's something very interesting and I can run belt through it ripping up a car.

Maybe $5 plus ammo at store cost. For that reason, I'll never pay to shoot full auto.

A good test would be when these people come to you at the range and tel you how much they would gladly pay, ask for the money and see if they do it.

I had people telling me how they'd gladly pay for a service about a year ago. I did my homework, worked out a business model and long term plan, and when I went back with actual prices that were similar to or less than what had been talked about when it was just talk, suddenly the willingness to pay was gone. Luckily I was smart enough to withhold monetary investment until I had tested the resolve of those who were more interested in talking about spending money than actually doing it.
    That is excellent advice and completely agree. I would definitely test the waters before any significant investment.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Are the Forms 4 in your name as an individual or in the name of a corporation or trust? If the answer is "individual", and you wish to form some sort of corporation for this venture of yours, you're definitely going to want the assets (aka firearms) to be owned by that entity and not yourself.
    Would leasing the firearms to the corporation establish the necessary separation? Would it even be legal for the corporation to posses them via a lease since this is title2 stuff?

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I say go for it! You seem to feel strongly that it's a profitable concept, so put it to the test. You've gotten constructive inputs that if you disagreed with them, you quickly dismissed them; so put your money where your mouth is and we'll all see who was right after all! Best of luck to you!

ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    You already know this, but how successful the business is will depend on how much time you put into it. In addition to the time bringing your guns to the event and monitoring it, there's dealing with pre-sale questions, problems, complaints, payments, scheduling, etc. It's not so much a full auto business as it is a retail business whose product is full auto. It's going to be built on your customer service. You have to make sure that you are compensated for all that time.

Also, the hardest part is going to be getting customers. And once you have them, you need to monetize them. For example, in addition to the FA rental, making sure you're taking the steps to get repeat business, high margin add-ons like pictures or videos of the event, t shirts, whatever. That stuff could be what tips the business into profitability.

But I really hope you give it a try. You never know where this idea might lead.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    “Not totally worthless. In my over two decades of law enforcement work I have met plenty of people I could EASILY sell mine to, regardless of any law in effect or changées and make a significant amount of money. And they’d gladly take the secret to their graves.
    Law ever changes and they will never be worthless. Trust me, as long as there are criminals out there there will ALWAYS be a full auto market.
    You can believe this...if I ever get told I have a medical condition that cannot be fixed and that I am 100% assured it is a death sentence (types of cancer or whatever else) then I will be selling to bidders at a VERY high price. Lol.
    So if the NFA was repealed and full autos were sold over the counter at every gun store you could still sell yours for a huge profit?

If used military m16s/ m4s were released to the public your full autos would still be worth big bucks? Most police forces only pay a few hundred bucks for used military rifles.

You also think there would be a line of people wanting to spend big money on your guns if they weren't allowed to transfer them anymore? People love spending big money on something they could make in their garage to commit a Felony.

But whatever.

Wedge1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Schertz
    So if the NFA was repealed and full autos were sold over the counter at every gun store you could still sell yours for a huge profit?

If used military m16s/ m4s were released to the public your full autos would still be worth big bucks? Most police forces only pay a few hundred bucks for used military rifles.

You also think there would be a line of people wanting to spend big money on your guns if they weren't allowed to transfer them anymore? People love spending big money on something they could make in their garage to commit a Felony.

But whatever.
    The answer is an unqualified YES. I have had more than 1 or 2 people make me some pretty nice offers in the past. And since the NFA will never be repealed this is an easy kill. Go watch “Forgotten Weapons” on YouTube. You’ll be amazed what people will spend on somenthing “you can make in a garage”. Lol.

Wedge1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2017
    Schertz
    Dawico, if you think the NFA will ever be repealed you’re a mighty positive and trusting person. I for one am a billion percent sure the ONLY part of the NFA to ever be repealed in the future will be the part where Pre-1986 transferables can be bought and sold. One day the Dems will successfully get that part of the law revered. Trust me one day will happen!!!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom