So, night vision...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
Jan 21, 2009
San Antonio
The AN/PVS-14 is a pretty sweet unit. I've had the chance to mess with a few people at night now, and it's pretty hilarious. It's harder to use and get used to than you might realize, but damn if it doesn't have some real potential. Using this stuff in a SHTF fight wouldn't even be cheating - it'd be playing a totally different game than the other side. Unless, that is, the other side has them, too...

Anyway, at the very least it's a fun toy. I'm going to have to find a dark place (off public roads, of course) where I can mess around with driving and using NV. Just because that sounds like fun. :D

cconn

Sep 5, 2009
Hemphill
I drive my side by side using a PVS-14 when hunting. Takes some getting used too. No depth perception, and its like looking through a toilet paper tube. Still fun to see everything when it can't see you back.

TreyG-20

The Pool Guy
Dec 16, 2011
Central
The AN/PVS-14 is a pretty sweet unit. I've had the chance to mess with a few people at night now, and it's pretty hilarious. It's harder to use and get used to than you might realize, but damn if it doesn't have some real potential. Using this stuff in a SHTF fight wouldn't even be cheating - it'd be playing a totally different game than the other side. Unless, that is, the other side has them, too...

Anyway, at the very least it's a fun toy. I'm going to have to find a dark place (off public roads, of course) where I can mess around with driving and using NV. Just because that sounds like fun. :D
It is very fun. Done blackout driving quite a bit on my last deployment. NVG's really mess with your depth perception and takes getting use to, but very fun indeed.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
Jan 21, 2009
San Antonio
Very nice...I wish a PVS14 were in the bubget, heck even the PVS7 isn't cheap.
Turns out they run the same tube, so you'll see the same thing. The only difference is if you prefer to have it display in one eye or both. I felt like the 7 messed with my depth perception more than the 14 for the simple reason that I was getting input from both eyes and expected some depth to it (vs the one-eyed view of the 14, and automatically expecting no depth).

The 7 I've messed with doesn't have a gain control on it like the 14, either. Overall, the 14 wins, IMO.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
Oct 1, 2010
Dripping Springs, Just west of weird
Turns out they run the same tube, so you'll see the same thing. The only difference is if you prefer to have it display in one eye or both. I felt like the 7 messed with my depth perception more than the 14 for the simple reason that I was getting input from both eyes and expected some depth to it (vs the one-eyed view of the 14, and automatically expecting no depth).

The 7 I've messed with doesn't have a gain control on it like the 14, either. Overall, the 14 wins, IMO.
The 14 is Gen 3 too , isn't it? And the 7 is Gen 2?

TXDARKHORSE361

May 15, 2012
Different tube between the 7 and 14, the PVS-14 has a smaller Image Intensifier tube with a wire and connection for the circuit card in the lower half (battery compartment) and the PVS-7 has a slightly larger tube that slides into the area between the front lens and main housing and has an area that touches contacts in the main housing, very similar design though. With the PVS-7's you will lose all depth perception because it's a bi-ocular, add the magnifier and forget about it lol. I've messed around with a lot of night vision as that was my job in the Corps, literally rebuilt these things. Also the generation will depend on when/where you buy them, you can get either in 1st gen to latest gen obviously price goes up immensely for the later gen.

Last edited:

TXDARKHORSE361

May 15, 2012
Also usnightvision.com is a good place to get an idea on current pricing.

Top Bottom