• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I just started buying a few items here and there. Got a cold steel kukri machete which I figure could be useful for a bug out bag or hunting (for brush areas). Got some Cyalume light sticks. I should probably invest in CR123 lithium batteries for my Surefire, eh?

So what's the deal with the 25-year shelf life dehydrated food I've seen on survival websites? Is that like the dehydrated astronaut food?

FYI...Cr123 batteries are cheap at GT's in Austin

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Where are you going to "bug out" to? And how will you survive along the way, and when you get there?

Evacuate by foot or by vehicle? What about family that has to "bug out" with you? What about those who might be left behind?

Do you have a communications plan (kids at school, wife or husband at work, old folks in the nursing home)?

How much does that "bug out bag" weigh, and can you hump it 20-25 clicks in a day if dismounted? Then, when/if you arrive at your destination, how will you deal with predators that got there first?

In my simple mind, a "bug out bag" is nothing more than a collection of of essential disaster supplies that will sustain my family "in place" until services/and or public order are restored. It is far more than a "bag." Our supplies consist of one month's water, food, sanitary supplies, and fuels. If order is not restored by then, well, we are just pooped, and will have to resort to our primal instincts or be slain!

It is better to defend what you've got in-place, than to strike out only to find thousands of like-minded individuals crowding the same roads, pathways, and destinations you thought would be a refuge.

I would suggest that instead of focusing on the ideal "bug out" bag, we all stock up on food, water, medicines, fuel, arms, & ammo. Get to know your neighbors, and establish "interlocking fields of fire."

Yes, the "bug out" bag makes for good chatter. But even if it let you survive a day or two, did it include Chickens for eggs, or seeds for grain production? And what about shelter?

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I keep a range bag ready to go with some ammo, a couple of select pistols, and a few supplies. Mostly it just ends up at the range though.

Throw in some first aid stuff a few bottles of water and an emergency blanket, rain poncho, knife, matches and some power bars and you got the start of a good BOB.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    In a worst case scenario, I wouldn't be leaving my house for a minimum of 10 days. I'm in the center of a sea of new homes. Pretty easy to defend... unlikely to be picked out of the sea of houses as a victim, and I want all of the panicked idiots to go first... to be slaughtered by the lawless - or me if they come my way. We'd need to be ready to kill or be killed.

I know it sounds crazy, but people do not realize just how fragile "civilization" actually is.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Good start, but where will you go, and how will you defend and feed your family?
    Thats a whole other issue. We were talking about a bug out bag.
    Check the "bug out retreat location with optional tractor trailer convoy of material to last you and you family the rest of you life" thread for the info you are asking about.

:)

greenbeetle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Where are you going to "bug out" to? And how will you survive along the way, and when you get there?

How much does that "bug out bag" weigh, and can you hump it 20-25 clicks in a day if dismounted? Then, when/if you arrive at your destination, how will you deal with predators that got there first?

In my simple mind, a "bug out bag" is nothing more than a collection of of essential disaster supplies that will sustain my family "in place" until services/and or public order are restored. It is far more than a "bag." Our supplies consist of one month's water, food, sanitary supplies, and fuels. If order is not restored by then, well, we are just pooped, and will have to resort to our primal instincts or be slain!

It is better to defend what you've got in-place, than to strike out only to find thousands of like-minded individuals crowding the same roads, pathways, and destinations you thought would be a refuge.

Couldn't agree more. I have a BOB but have to say that unless you have a remote location with shelter, supplies, water and energy, most people are ill prepared to "bug-out" to anywhere. Getting anywhere on a congested and dangerous highway will be tricky. Can you do it on one tank of gas? What about getting back!

I can see the utility in getting out of a Katrina like disaster and sustaining yourself for a few days. But once the dust has settled, most people will be looking to band together for survival. People will likely aggregate where the help is - hospitals, schools, city centers, the Superdome.

When you bug out, do you have enough of your medications? What happens if your glasses break? What happens if you break your arm or get an infection? What happens if your water purifier breaks or floats away? Your hunting rifle breaks?

Bugging in probably suits most people more than they realize.

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    I had my bob in Illinois, I bugged out that's why we moved to Texas. We are pretty much in the middle in nowhere and set up pretty good on acreage. The only thing I need is rain to keep the tank full. I do have water closeby though. When you come from the tundra down here you realize how good you guys have it. I came from a city of 150k and 1/3 of them on foodstamps, it's a war zone. Here in Texas there are plenty of place to go. For those of you in the cities I'd think I would add a couple acres away from the city to your list. That can be found pretty cheap, and even a cheaper home in a small town could and would be way better then in a large city. Talking about towns that are mabye 15k or less. In the small towns you have the others that will stand with you, barter and set up perimeters is pretty easy. A person here can survive without heat, and electricity something up north that is impossible. Been working on the gardern again something you will need. Penty of game here too. Look for that small acreage away from it all and do what you have to buy it.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    small town...around 5k is the best BOL in my opinion. Big city is horrible locale. on your own in the sticks you are an easy target no matter how prepared you are.

Speaking of the S hitting TF... While I am not a gamer, my son wants the new xbox video game "Homefront". I always check out games before he gets to play them. Check it out, looks pretty interesting and pertains to this topic.

Top Bottom