Capitol Armory ad

So, y'all still mad at Cheaperthandirt ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    "I understand drunk people..." [with my best Bruce Willis "shocked face"]

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I won't shop there anymore. Price gougers... Sportsman's Guide sells a lot of the same shit but without the sales tax and they DON'T gouge. I ordered once from Cheaper than Dirt... and never will again. During the AR craze my brother demanded his own AR and he wanted an assembled upper from CTD that cost $736. That same upper is $420 now. Bastards...

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    OK....I'm enlightened.

I received my upper from Midway and it was just what I wanted! What made it even sweeter is that I snatched the sale right out of the fingers of CTD for exactly the reason that I stated earlier! They acted like bums and payback is a "B".

Flash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    OK....I'm enlightened.

I received my upper from Midway and it was just what I wanted! What made it even sweeter is that I snatched the sale right out of the fingers of CTD for exactly the reason that I stated earlier! They acted like bums and payback is a "B".

Flash

Nice... CTD needs to go away... As you've already mentioned, Midway is usually the place to go for gun parts and accessories - and they have great customer service, unlike CTD.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Nice... CTD needs to go away... As you've already mentioned, Midway is usually the place to go for gun parts and accessories - and they have great customer service, unlike CTD.

Embarrassing that they are a Texas company but we have our bad apples just like anywhere else.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Never shopped there in the first place (partly as I'm still not even a year into being a gun nut). Only online places I've bought from were Midway (reloading gear), Bayou Bullets and recently my first online gun purchase at Bud's. As others have stated they certainly do not live up to their name and I can easily find better deals online on just about anything.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Their prices have NEVER been cheap. the only reason they put those prices on stuff is that people are willing to pay it. The numbers they put on stuff during the panic was pretty funny, but the reason I wouldn't buy from them is their actions after Sandy Hook when they suspended gun sales....caving to the anti gunners.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    I do have to add that while recently looking for a new firearm I checked out there prices. And they were among the highest.

I never had a bad experience there so I still consider shopping there.But they make it hard considering there prices aren't very competitive.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    We've reached the same conclusion but by very different paths. I don't think the suspension of gun sales was a big deal, but I already covered that here: http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...l-still-mad-cheaperthandirt-2.html#post818923
    That excuse by CTD could have been explained at the very moment they stopped sales, if it were a legit excuse, which I do not think it is. Many retailers were swamped and did not take the same route CTD did. Some PR guy was tasked with saving face for CTD... and didn't do a very good job.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    In a word, yes for more than one reason.

Yep.

That excuse by CTD could have been explained at the very moment they stopped sales, if it were a legit excuse, which I do not think it is. Many retailers were swamped and did not take the same route CTD did. Some PR guy was tasked with saving face for CTD... and didn't do a very good job.

Whether or not you're completely right you certainly got one thing straight; he didn't do a good job. After explaining why the gun sales were halted (which I was willing to accept), he was asked a followup about the predatory pricing on ammo, mags, etc. At that point, he literally put up his hands and backed away from the podium, explaining that he was the Social Media guy and that the retail side was a whole different crew that he couldn't speak for.

Even though he had just spoken for them.

IOW, even he couldn't come up with a defense for their pricing policies. That speaks volumes, all of it very bad, about CTD.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    ...and don't forget their blog post titled "I support Toomey-Manchin and you should too!"
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...heaper-than-dirt-supports-toomey-manchin.html

LOL they 404'd it. Bet they want that buried as deep as they possibly can bury it.

This is why we need to start being more forward thinking when we see things like that and getting screen grabs to post here for posterity.

I remember the blog post like it was yesterday and the discussion of it that was happening all over the Internet but I never thought to get a screen grab.

These should haunt idiots like that forever.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    LOL they 404'd it. Bet they want that buried as deep as they possibly can bury it.
    I remember the blog post like it was yesterday and the discussion of it that was happening all over the Internet but I never thought to get a screen grab.
    Archive.org does screen grabs for us. From the Wayback Machine: I Support Toomey-Manchin and You Should Too!

However, in fairness, they also posted this: http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=42449

They said at the time that they intended for BOTH articles to be read together. Specifically:

In our blog, we presented both sides of the proposed bill. Read both articles, and make your own decision to support or not support the bill.

Now they've deleted one post and left the other on their site. That smacks of intellectually dishonest, hindsight-fueled spin. Their story stinks more than I previously thought it did.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom