• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Ok - looks like we may be doing this...so..

Those of you who have had solar panels that have been hit by hail and come out unscathed - What brand are they? I trust your real life experience way more than manufacturers' claims. Thanks so much. :)
    While certainly some hail can damage most anything, most hard panels are very robust. Renogy is a pretty big name in solar panels, and they are pretty competitive in price, but that doesn't mean they are better than some lesser brands. Look for reviews.

Also, many that have panels on their roof, forget about them. Panels are more efficient if they are cleaned periodically.
    Guns International

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    My battery backup is a Tesla Powerwall 2 that is rated at 13.5kWh
    I'm in the process of commissioning a 15kwh battery bank right now.

20230517_171820.jpg

Cabled and charged them last night from grid power using my MagnaSine inverter/charger and am going to go off-grid with them tonight to see how they handle my night-time load, before going off-grid with them day-time for a full test with solar charging.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    L

View attachment 388497

Cabled and charged them last night from grid power using my MagnaSine inverter/charger and am going to go off-grid with them tonight to see how they handle my night-time load, before going off-grid with them day-time for a full test with solar charging.L
    Let us know how it works out after the test.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    Short answer: Yes.

Long answer:
    I come from snow country that averages 40% humidity.
    Our A/C runs 24/7 at 65 or below, 60 at night, year round.
    If I'm hot & sweating, I don't sleep. Been that way my whole life.
    Air blowing on me will hopefully allow some sleep/relief.
    If I don't sleep - hell will arise at TenOaks the likes of which even God has not seen.

We'll also use it for other things, if/when needed, as long as the available charge remains enough for an overnight fan.
    I thought of you this evening when we were sitting on our covered patio and was 80 degrees and felt very pleasant. Humidity was 48. I then remembered yesterday at same temp but humidity was 60 and felt terrible. The tall vertical floor fan blowing on bed at night is keeping my sanity, lol. I have discovered a few things in my 75 years. Do not live in Houston or Florida, they have high humidity. Therefore I reside in DFW...

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    I thought of you this evening when we were sitting on our covered patio and was 80 degrees and felt very pleasant. Humidity was 48. I then remembered yesterday at same temp but humidity was 60 and felt terrible. The tall vertical floor fan blowing on bed at night is keeping my sanity, lol. I have discovered a few things in my 75 years. Do not live in Houston or Florida, they have high humidity. Therefore I reside in DFW...
    Exactly.
    We've a weather thingy by the back door - right now it's 68F and 79%...gonna be another one of those days. I spent my first summer in Houston (Katy) mostly indoors; even in the pool it was still miserable. Now, here in the Thicket with all the green plushness, I just pray for some wind. LOL

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Getting back to the OP - we've used it again, radios, coffeepot, lights - and are really happy with the performance and quality.

That said, I wish we'd have gotten the 2400; some for the extra capacity and add'l ac outlets - but mostly because Oupes has 240w panels for recharging, and the 2400 can take 4 of them at a time. There's just something sweet about recharging at 960w vs 400w...especially in this intermittent sunshine area.

@deemus <- tagged incase you're still looking at them.
    Maybe we'll get a 2400 + 4 of the 240w panels anyway and use both solar gens instead of a full system. We're that happy with it.

Last edited:

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    I needed the 30amp plug in. Kinda weird that it only has 400 watts charging off the wall, even with two bricks. If I understand, there is no battery expandability?
    Correct, no battery expandability. Your Anker sounds perfect for your needs; will it expand to more than one battery? I'm really liking gll's bank, lol, so more thought needs to go into what will happen here... especially if I do fixed panels.

(Just like a woman, eh? Always changing her dang mind! :laughing: )

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    will it expand to more than one battery?
    When I was watching various reviews n such on them, it would appear that the expansion battery is plug-n-play. Giving the option of multiple back-ups.

Didn't see anything mentioned about doing multiple back-up batteries at the same time though.

Last edited:

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    When I was watching various reviews n such on them, it would appear that the expansion battery is plug-n-play. Giving the option of multiple back-ups.

Didn't see anything mentioned about doing multiple back-up batteries at the same time though.
    Which ones? ER's? Mine?

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Correct, no battery expandability. Your Anker sounds perfect for your needs; will it expand to more than one battery? I'm really liking gll's bank, lol, so more thought needs to go into what will happen here... especially if I do fixed panels.

(Just like a woman, eh? Always changing her dang mind! :laughing: )
    No. While I can switch expandable batteries, I can't hook them together. I was at first leaning towards the Bluetti AC200MAX. It can handle two expansion batteries, but the Anker, with the GanPrime system, 1000w solar capability and the 5 year full coverage warranty changed my mind.

I too changed my mind several times before making my choice.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Getting back to the OP - we've used it again, radios, coffeepot, lights - and are really happy with the performance and quality.

That said, I wish we'd have gotten the 2400; some for the extra capacity and add'l ac outlets - but mostly because Oupes has 240w panels for recharging, and the 2400 can take 4 of them at a time. There's just something sweet about recharging at 960w vs 400w...especially in this intermittent sunshine area.

@deemus <- tagged incase you're still looking at them.
    Maybe we'll get a 2400 + 4 of the 240w panels anyway and use both solar gens instead of a full system. We're that happy with it.

I’m going with the 2400. Seemed like the best option, and with your comments confirm that.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016

View attachment 388497

Cabled and charged them last night from grid power using my MagnaSine inverter/charger and am going to go off-grid with them tonight to see how they handle my night-time load, before going off-grid with them day-time for a full test with solar charging.
    I disconnected from the grid at sundown last night, and went on batteries... I knocked them down to 97% cooking supper and they were at 71% at 8am this morning.

It was cloudy and rainy all day today, especially this morning, and they fell as low as 69% capacity, but solar charging maintained them. A thinner cloud cover brought them up to 80% at 5:30pm on rated 5.4kw solar panels (why 5.4kw and not 9kw is another story).

I feel pretty good about this, as even a 30% drop tonight and another day like today should still give me a 3rd day the same before I would have to go to gas generator.

Once I get the rest of my array back up, I should be good to go.

Thinking about how I might get my 4.8kwh lead acid bank back up too; the lifepo4 bank being an upgrade, but the LA bank being still good...

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Look for discounts. Many videos have links to them. Also some businesses may have it marked down.
    It's always great to save some $$$.
    That said - the last 4 shipments we've received through Scamazon have come damaged. For me, I'd rather order from companies directly. If any probs...they cover it.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    It's always great to save some $$$.
    That said - the last 4 shipments we've received through Scamazon have come damaged. For me, I'd rather order from companies directly. If any probs...they cover it.
    I bought mine through Solar Town, but as I said, they raised the price by $300 on the bundle I bought.

Top Bottom