• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I disconnected from the grid at sundown last night, and went on batteries... I knocked them down to 97% cooking supper and they were at 71% at 8am this morning.

It was cloudy and rainy all day today, especially this morning, and they fell as low as 69% capacity, but solar charging maintained them. A thinner cloud cover brought them up to 80% at 5:30pm on rated 5.4kw solar panels (why 5.4kw and not 9kw is another story).

I feel pretty good about this, as even a 30% drop tonight and another day like today should still give me a 3rd day the same before I would have to go to gas generator.

Once I get the rest of my array back up, I should be good to go.

Thinking about how I might get my 4.8kwh lead acid bank back up too; the lifepo4 bank being an upgrade, but the LA bank being still good...
    That's really good. My system goes down to 30% by around 6am, but then it's also running the entire house.
    Is that for your entire house including the AC system?
    Lynx Defense

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Here's a pretty good deal on an EcoFlow Delta Max Portable Power Station (2400W, 2016Wh) and 4x 200watt solar panels (plus cables).

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    That's really good. My system goes down to 30% by around 6am, but then it's also running the entire house.
    Is that for your entire house including the AC system?
    Lol, no AC last night... 30% would be about 5kwh; I'm not sure where that all went, probably 2kwh to the two freezers and 2 refrigerators. The hot water heater times on early morning for an hour so that was probably another 2kwh... Pressure pump in the well house probably ran at least once; I have the parts to put it on the well house solar array, but haven't done it yet.

My "system" is way more kludged together than yours, and I really don't know enough about where my power goes, so I ordered this energy monitor today. It has pretty good reviews on Amazon and the price was pretty good!

Does your system prefer battery over grid at night, or are you basing your 30% overnight drop on an off-grid experience?

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Lol, no AC last night... 30% would be about 5kwh; I'm not sure where that all went, probably 2kwh to the two freezers and 2 refrigerators. The hot water heater times on early morning for an hour so that was probably another 2kwh... Pressure pump in the well house probably ran at least once; I have the parts to put it on the well house solar array, but haven't done it yet.

My "system" is way more kludged together than yours, and I really don't know enough about where my power goes, so I ordered this energy monitor today. It has pretty good reviews on Amazon and the price was pretty good!

Does your system prefer battery over grid at night, or are you basing your 30% overnight drop on an off-grid experience?
    I have mine set to pull from the battery and have my threshold set to 30% reserve, so the battery will never go below 30% charge. Sometimes if there's a storm coming, I'll kick up the reserve to 75% in case of power outage.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I keep meaning to mention that among the other worthies on youtube, there is a kid named Will Prowse who does solar power reviews and tests (actually most often teardowns, lol; you wanna see the guts of a battery you are interested in?). His youtube channel is

He also hosts a pretty good and fairly active forum at

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I have mine set to pull from the battery and have my threshold set to 30% reserve, so the battery will never go below 30% charge. Sometimes if there's a storm coming, I'll kick up the reserve to 75% in case of power outage.

Your system is way more modern and professional than mine... My setpoints are all voltages!

48v LiFePO4 Battery Charge.jpg

This is an advantage of lifepo4 over Li-ion, though. Current Connected recommended settings on my inverter/charger that charge to 100% and discharge to 10%.

57.6v and 48v...

Last edited:

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Your system is way more modern and professional than mine... My setpoints are all voltages!

View attachment 388707

This is an advantage of lifepo4 over Li-ion, though. Currented Connected recommended settings on my inverter/charger that charge to 100% and discharge to 10%.

57.6v and 48v...

Mine just goes by % of power. It has it's own built-in inverter, so the output voltage is always constant.
    I thought about doing a DIY setup, but didn't feel like doing all the roof climbing I would have had to do, the permitting, etc... Plus I was able to get a 0.9% loan on the system, so that didn't make it "sting" as much.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    If I was going to DIY it all over from the beginning, I sure wouldn't do it the way I did, lol!

The panels I bought were the first mistake that set all the rest in motion, and it's not like I didn't research or buy from a reputable company... They were LG MonoX Ace, basically LG's first residential panel; their better idea was to build microinverters right on to each panel, with a trunk cable on each panel that plugged right into the next panel to form a string of any length that produced 120/240v at the end of the string...

At the time I bought 20 in 2014, when other plain panels were ~$1/watt, these were $1/watt with an inverter and cabling included. They were a really easy install and had all the advantages of a TV/VCR combo (I kinda knew I'd live to reget that, but the specs and warranty were good). Less than 2 years, LG had abandoned that design, and I was able to buy 10 more panels at $.65/watt on clearance. In for a dime, in for a dollar, lol! Now LG Solar is no more; they got out of solar completely...

By the time I bought the 2nd batch, I was fully cognizant of of what I had only been partially cognizant of previously, that grid-tied panels without backup don't provide power when you need it most and are harder to retrofit for off-grid use... , especially when they have built on inverters.

There weren't as many options for hybrid systems in 2016, and even if there had been, I was still stuck with those TV/VCR combos. The best option I could find for back up power to work with my panels at the time was a Magnum Products 4kw MagnaSine inverter charger, that used battery power to produce 120/240v to energize my home microgrid and start the microinverters so they could produce power to charge the batteries to power the inverter.

My golfcart being 48v, it was my first emergency battery bank, until I added a dedicated 8x Trojan 105 bank 3 years ago (usable 4.8kwh), which I just replaced with the three SOK 100ah (15kwh). It's been a trip that I paid cash for each step along the way.

The TV/VCR combo thing finally got me the Jan 2nd, though I didn't find out until Feb 2. About 6 months before the LG EverVu wifi device that I used to monitor panel condition and production history quit, like wifi devices sometimes do. I had the foresight to buy a 2nd one when I bought the 2nd set of panels, but when I got it out to use it, it didn't work... So, I had just been checking my monthly kwh production from a meter to calculate my monthly savings and against my multi-year history. On Feb 2nd, I got my co-op bill and I had what looked like one day of generation credit. When I checked my kwh meter, it confirmed that. Apparently, I had a lightning strike at the beginning of Jan that blew the shit out of my disconnect. After I replaced that, I waited another month to find out I had an unknown bunch of non-working panels. I put together a meter box to allow me to unplug each panel from the others and check their function; 11 of 30 were non-functional.

When I took the covers off the inverter boxes, I found that most have 1 or 2 Mosfets on the AC side of the inverter blown, and a few had a chip on the DC side blown in addition. I've been unable to source that Mosfet. I'm hoping that I will be able to repair one from parts to fill the 2nd 10 panel string, and I'm still looking for the best repair option, but I think I found it Friday and am waiting for a reply to a couple questions.

The repair is going to require the removal of the dead inverter and cabling the panels like standard panels with MC4 connectors, and then a new inverter system which as of Friday looks like 2(panel)-to-1 microinverters from APsystems...

I'm starting to get tired of having fun, but I'm not wealthy enough for anything but DIY... Besides, my father would roll over in his grave if I ever paid anyone to do something for me!

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    If I was going to DIY it all over from the beginning, I sure wouldn't do it the way I did, lol!

The panels I bought were the first mistake that set all the rest in motion, and it's not like I didn't research or buy from a reputable company... They were LG MonoX Ace, basically LG's first residential panel; their better idea was to build microinverters right on to each panel, with a trunk cable on each panel that plugged right into the next panel to form a string of any length that produced 120/240v at the end of the string...

At the time I bought 20 in 2014, when other plain panels were ~$1/watt, these were $1/watt with an inverter and cabling included. They were a really easy install and had all the advantages of a TV/VCR combo (I kinda knew I'd live to reget that, but the specs and warranty were good). Less than 2 years, LG had abandoned that design, and I was able to buy 10 more panels at $.65/watt on clearance. In for a dime, in for a dollar, lol! Now LG Solar is no more; they got out of solar completely...

By the time I bought the 2nd batch, I was fully cognizant of of what I had only been partially cognizant of previously, that grid-tied panels without backup don't provide power when you need it most and are harder to retrofit for off-grid use... , especially when they have built on inverters.

There weren't as many options for hybrid systems in 2016, and even if there had been, I was still stuck with those TV/VCR combos. The best option I could find for back up power to work with my panels at the time was a Magnum Products 4kw MagnaSine inverter charger, that used battery power to produce 120/240v to energize my home microgrid and start the microinverters so they could produce power to charge the batteries to power the inverter.

My golfcart being 48v, it was my first emergency battery bank, until I added a dedicated 8x Trojan 105 bank 3 years ago (usable 4.8kwh), which I just replaced with the three SOK 100ah (15kwh). It's been a trip that I paid cash for each step along the way.

The TV/VCR combo thing finally got me the Jan 2nd, though I didn't find out until Feb 2. About 6 months before the LG EverVu wifi device that I used to monitor panel condition and production history quit, like wifi devices sometimes do. I had the foresight to buy a 2nd one when I bought the 2nd set of panels, but when I got it out to use it, it didn't work... So, I had just been checking my monthly kwh production from a meter to calculate my monthly savings and against my multi-year history. On Feb 2nd, I got my co-op bill and I had what looked like one day of generation credit. When I checked my kwh meter, it confirmed that. Apparently, I had a lightning strike at the beginning of Jan that blew the shit out of my disconnect. After I replaced that, I waited another month to find out I had an unknown bunch of non-working panels. I put together a meter box to allow me to unplug each panel from the others and check their function; 11 of 30 were non-functional.

When I took the covers off the inverter boxes, I found that most have 1 or 2 Mosfets on the AC side of the inverter blown, and a few had a chip on the DC side blown in addition. I've been unable to source that Mosfet. I'm hoping that I will be able to repair one from parts to fill the 2nd 10 panel string, and I'm still looking for the best repair option, but I think I found it Friday and am waiting for a reply to a couple questions.

The repair is going to require the removal of the dead inverter and cabling the panels like standard panels with MC4 connectors, and then a new inverter system which as of Friday looks like 2(panel)-to-1 microinverters from APsystems...

I'm starting to get tired of having fun, but I'm not wealthy enough for anything but DIY... Besides, my father would roll over in his grave if I ever paid anyone to do something for me!
    Wow, whatta journey you've had. When I designed/installed mine on the mountain (2017) all there was was DIY. Other than an Inverter fan going bad (Schneider, still under warranty, they replaced it) I had no problems whatsoever.. but what a behemoth. A literal ton of batts (16 Rolls/Surette 257ah LA) in a separate power room in the cabin addition... sigh... good memories, all. But that was then, here is different, and like you - I'm starting to get already tired of having fun. It's time for easy. The blessing for me is that, other than having a way to keep cool to sleep, my electrical requirements are nil.

Thanks for sharing your story, gll. Most enjoyable to read.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    If we do, and it looks like we will, I'm going to get the roll cart with it. That honker weighs about 50 pounds, lol.
    That's another good thing about the Anker. While the expandable battery I need to carry, the generator itself has wheels and a handle built in and is about as easy to move around as an airport suitcase.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    First appointment of the week done, decided to do some video research. The guy in the video below brought up some good points in his reviews/assessment of quite a few units. Be warned, it's about 30 +- minutes long but, does provide quite a bit of information. And for you spreadsheet geeks, there's even one of those available as well.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    I used to sibcribe to City Prepper... I'm sure I watched that video, but eventually I got tired of the guy exactly because he is a master equivocator...
    He might be, yes (and I've watched him, and likely that vid) - but the fact is, it does depend. It depends on someone's specific needs.

Need something that charges up fast? #1 is best for that. Need something with more ac ports? #2 is best for that. And so on.

My priorities, in order, are capacity, then charge speed, then price/warranty.. and I've no need for usb ports; your priorities will be different,,,

So which is the best solar gen? Well, it depends. :D

p.s... I know you knew this already. :)

@ZX9RCAM @Byrd666

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    First appointment of the week done, decided to do some video research. The guy in the video below brought up some good points in his reviews/assessment of quite a few units. Be warned, it's about 30 +- minutes long but, does provide quite a bit of information. And for you spreadsheet geeks, there's even one of those available as well.

Yeah, that was one of the probably hundreds of videos that helped me come to a decision on which was right for me.

Top Bottom