• Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    ...I do have a 1911 already.

I love my 1911 and my 5906. My question is, does the P226 add anything? How is it different than a 1911 or 5906?

How is the recoil compared to a 1911? And, don't tell me that a 9mm doesn't have that much recoil anyway. Because, to me, it does.

I've never fired a 5906, so I can't comment on that. I have fired, and did some training with a P226. And while I do like the 226 somewhat, I definitely prefer the 229 platform. The smaller and lighter pistol is a Lot more comfortable for me to work with one handed. With both of those being metal framed, the felt recoil difference between them is negligible. I also prefer the shorter sight radius of the 229 because it's just easier for me to follow along with. Not to say that a 226 of some sort is not on my list. Just that a P229 SAO is higher up on the list. As for the 1911, I like them. I just tear up my shooting hand thumb when I fire/use them. So, I don't, to speak of.

As for the difference between the 1911, 226, and 5906. that's akin to asking what's the difference between eggs, apples, and pears, and quite honestly, I just don't have the vocabulary to try and explain what I believe the differences to be.

As for the recoil, yup, it's there and felt. The good part is that the metal construction of these models does help mitigate it somewhat, though that often depends on your choice of ammo. You might want to try using a 147 grn. so as to try and help soften it a bit. It won't disappear by any means. But it will be a straighter push backwards as opposed to the hard snap of the 115 grn. And the 124 is a mix of each. Each gun will act different with a different ammo brand and, or a different ammo weight. So, experiment with as many brands, weights, and types that you can so you can find what the pistol likes, and what you like with the pistol.
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Bored+to+Death.jpg

Still waiting on OP to post pic of new SIG.

Attachments

• Bored+to+Death.jpg
      Bored+to+Death.jpg
      379.4 KB · Views: 539

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I can't seem to help myself. Today I'm thinking about buying something way out of my price range, a Sig P226 MK25. I can get it for a good price, relatively speaking. With what I have saved already, it would take me at least 3 weeks to pay for it.

Someone talk me down.

DO IT!! Sigs re awesome!

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    I've been attracted to the P226 for a while, but never thought seriously about it because of the price. Since we have a used P226 in the store right now, I got to actually hold it in my hand. That's what did it.

Well, that plus the fact that I already have a little money saved for another gun that's been out of stock lately.

I keep going back and forth between "It's insane to spend that much money on a gun" and "It's beautiful and I want it".

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    I've been attracted to the P226 for a while, but never thought seriously about it because of the price. Since we have a used P226 in the store right now, I got to actually hold it in my hand. That's what did it.

Well, that plus the fact that I already have a little money saved for another gun that's been out of stock lately.

I keep going back and forth between "It's insane to spend that much money on a gun" and "It's beautiful and I want it".
    They're great shooters, if you don't like it, you could easily sell it again without a loss. I don't think you'll be disappointed with it though. Just buy it. Also I'm a terrible instigator, don't listen to me.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Now I'm curious where you work but doesn't really matter since I'm not in SA.

Feel / comfort is everything. If you don't have that with the other gun you're saving for, it may be time to reconsider.

Any place nearby to rent n shoot? Maybe connect with a TGT owner to try out?

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Now I'm curious where you work but doesn't really matter since I'm not in SA.

Feel / comfort is everything. If you don't have that with the other gun you're saving for, it may be time to reconsider.

Any place nearby to rent n shoot? Maybe connect with a TGT owner to try out?
    I work at Modern Elite Firearms in San Antonio. My brother owns the store.

The Sig feels wonderful. It's probably the most comfortable gun I've ever held. I can reach all the controls better than on most guns. It's heavy like I like, yet not too heavy.

As a matter of fact, that's my only concern. I generally prefer very heavy guns for 9mm because that absorbs a lot of recoil. The P226 is probably still heavy enough. But, I really should shoot it first to make sure.

If anyone happens to have one that I can try out, please let me know. I'll have to call around to see if I can find one to rent.

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Aww brother ought to give you a break, whine and tell him often how much you just love it!
    He has to, at least, get the money back that he paid for it. The only gun that I paid less for than he had paid for it was my very first gun.

I'll never forget how excited he was when he told me he had found the gun for me. He had had his eye out for something to come in that would suit me for my first gun.

One morning I came in for work and he was all excited. As soon as I walked in the door, he told me he had found the gun for me. And, he had. A Walther PK380, the perfect carry gun for me.

I may love my 1911 and 5906. But, they're too big to carry.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

Back when the first assualt weapon ban hit I had saved up for a PolyTech Legend AK. The day I turned in my order proved to late & everything had dried up or was crazy priced. I bought my West German Sig 226 back then for like $350.00. Price a use gun like mine & thing become more sane!

Top Bottom