• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I didn't see anything that Starbucks has done as an attempt to "vilify" firearms. They simply don't want to be in the spotlight of this debate.

That is how I read it too. Just leave us alone.

Werd. They never actually banned anything. Just made a polite request to stop doing it. They are a business and there to make money in that line of business. I find it hard to find fault with them even now. I mean, aside from their coffee tasting like scorched beans.
    Military Camp

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Werd. They never actually banned anything. Just made a polite request to stop doing it. They are a business and there to make money in that line of business. I find it hard to find fault with them even now. I mean, aside from their coffee tasting like scorched beans.
    To be honest, if I owned a business (walk in) I would ban open carry, no prob with CC, but open carry makes a very mixed statement. In addition as a gun owner since age 5 and being around folks that owned guns all my life there is a % of them that should not be allow to own a gun, they are nut jobs with or withOUT a gun.

I have left deer camp at 2am because some nut job mixed guns and booze and started shooting up where we were staying, which was a black church that we paid them to rent for 3 days. Is this rare, I WISH it was, but we can read the stories in the daily newspapers on a regular basis.

NOT everyone that owns a gun, should be allow to do so, they lack what it takes to be responsible. On the whole, most gun owners are better folks in my eye, but like anything, its the old 10% 100% of the time rule.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    To be honest, if I owned a business (walk in) I would ban open carry, no prob with CC, but open carry makes a very mixed statement. In addition as a gun owner since age 5 and being around folks that owned guns all my life there is a % of them that should not be allow to own a gun, they are nut jobs with or withOUT a gun.

I have left deer camp at 2am because some nut job mixed guns and booze and started shooting up where we were staying, which was a black church that we paid them to rent for 3 days. Is this rare, I WISH it was, but we can read the stories in the daily newspapers on a regular basis.

NOT everyone that owns a gun, should be allow to do so, they lack what it takes to be responsible. On the whole, most gun owners are better folks in my eye, but like anything, its the old 10% 100% of the time rule.

I think that banning lawful carry of firearms just because you don't like it would get you a lot more trouble than you'd find from the people carrying them. Your post reads like you think you should be allowed to decide who the second amendment applies to.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    First of all its legal, second its MY store, if I don't want you to carry an open firearm in my store that is my call.

If you have ever worked in a less than savory part of town*, you would not allow open carry in your store either, I can assure you. You have enough problems with some guy walking in with a gun in his hands as it is and he is NOT exercising his 2nd A rights, he is there to rob you.

And NO, I do NOT trust you or you perceived abilities, I do not know you, have no idea of your background and most of all of something happens, then you become one more guy in my store with a gun and I got 2 in front of my cash register now demanding money, far as I am concerned you are just part of the gang in front of me at that point in time. And YES I have had to stop 2 potential robberies in my past when I worked in retail.

On occasion you might find yourself (mostly by accident) in a rough part of town. One of the way you can tell, if its at night, as you drive by you might notice it appears the building has a sprinkling of small led Christmas lights on the outside. On closer inspection, you note they are lights, not Christmas lights but BULLET HOLES.

Nortex

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    Beat me to the punch Ole Cowboy. Despite what others have tried to imply, you are not really "banning lawful [open] carry" (a bit of an oxymoron)....but rather backing up a property owner's lawful right to dictate how weapons may be carried into his store.

I certainly agree with allowing CHL holders to carry concealed (not posting 30.06 signs), but not permitting open carry allows the store owner AS WELL AS other store patrons to somewhat mitigate their risk and simplifies the decision matrix:

SIMPLY PUT: if someone walks into the store with a visible gun, one can more readily assume they are up to no good and possibly have more time to deal with the situation

I have no problem with a store that doesn't want open carry, but I do not spend my money at establishments with 30.06 signs

I feel pretty certain the 2nd Amendment doesn't tell property owners they must allow a "well regulated militia to walk into their store carrying PS90s at the ready position"

Last edited:

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Beat me to the punch Ole Cowboy. As others have tried to imply, you are not suggesting "banning lawful [open] carry" (a bit of an oxymoron)....but rather backing up a property owner's lawful right to dictate how weapons may be carried into his store.

I am inclined to agree that allowing CHL holders to carry concealed, but no open carry allows the store owner AS WELL AS other store patrons to somewhat mitigate their risk and simplifies the decision matrix:
    - if someone walks into the store with a gun, one can more readily assume they are up to no good and possibly have more time to deal with the situation

I have no problem with a store that doesn't want open carry, but I do not spend my money at establishments with 30.06 signs
    Concur!

Hey folks be at the counter when 2 folks with guns walk in the door and they have NO FRIGGIN idea what the 2nd Amend is, and don't care: "hand me the money"

I look around and there is another guy in there with a AR! Well boys, HERE just take the cash drawer. They take it, I grab my under the counter and and fire at Mr cash drawer as I come up, number 2 boy will prob turn, my eyes go back to Mr Ar and if he blinks, he goes down...later on I found out he was just trolling in the store exercising his 2nd rights...SORRY, but I was not taking that chance, I got a family too...

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    What do y'all think about this?

F*** Starbucks, Part II - YouTube
    He does make one interesting point... If Starbucks just wanted the open carry demonstrations to stop, they could have asked that there be no demonstrations/gatherings at their stores. Instead of focusing on the demonstrations, they chose to focus on the gun. Similar to how the leftists focus on guns instead of crime.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    He does make one interesting point... If Starbucks just wanted the open carry demonstrations to stop, they could have asked that there be no demonstrations/gatherings at their stores. Instead of focusing on the demonstrations, they chose to focus on the gun. Similar to how the leftists focus on guns instead of crime.

Exactly.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I don't see them as focusing on the gun. 2A supporters try too hard to paint everyone that doesn't want to walk around like a "Special Ops Insertion Team" to be anti 2nd amendment.

Easiest way to solve the problem from their perspective (and I agree with them) is to kindly ask people not to bring their hardware to Starbucks.

If you are so hung up on being surgically attached to you AR, that you won't put it down to go get a cup of coffe, then you probably have bigger issues to deal with then where you get your cup of morning joe.

I have walked in to Starbucks hundreds of times in dozens of cities. I have never carried an AR with me. I never felt vulnerable. Count to 10. Take some deep breaths. We are going to be ok.

Pro gun folk need a rhetoric control knob. Sometimes it needs to be dialed down.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    LOL, we are heading out on a trip and we usually stop at Sbux on the way out of town to get a roadie...wife said to me as I was stepping out of the shower: "lets skip Sbux, why spend our money there, you know how they feel about guns..."

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    He's got some good points there. CCs attacking OCs for exercising their rights is counter-productive and divisive.

You do not have a right to make a political protest on the private property of another, which is what the in-your-face OC crowd is doing. This is completely different than OC'ing as a normal course of your day.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    You do not have a right to make a political protest on the private property of another, which is what the in-your-face OC crowd is doing. This is completely different than OC'ing as a normal course of your day.
    True, but Starbucks didn't ask that people stop having political protests on their property; they asked that people stop bringing guns on their property. A subtle but important difference I think... They could have said, "If local laws allow you to open carry a gun then we respect that, but we ask that you stop having political demonstrations or group meetings relating to firearms in our stores."

Instead they said "...we are respectfully requesting that customers no longer bring firearms into our stores or outdoor seating areas—even in states where “open carry” is permitted..." I think they chose these words carefully. So now the guy in AZ who open carries a handgun as part of his daily routine and has nothing to do with open carry demonstrations is no longer welcome in their stores.

Some people want to blame this on the activists organizing these demonstrations, but they are not at fault. Starbucks didn't say "no more open carry demonstrations", they said "no more guns."

Top Bottom