• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigTex.308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Crosby, TX
    You anywhere near their factory?

If you get the chance tour the factory, do it! They're in Georgetown close to 35 a little North of 29. Close to the airport.

Here's a custom job they completed for me a few months ago.

uploadfromtaptalk1365652011399.jpg

It's built off the ranger frame.

Here's my review on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds1g4dvOqv0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

There's many reasons I like STI. The biggest three for me is they are employee owned, made in Texas, and the biggest reason is each slide is hand-fitted to a particular frame. That's something you won't find in a Kimber

The quality is great. I would highly recommend taking the tour.

Kimbers are nice, but they're overpriced in my opinion. They're QC has gone way down and it seems like I'm just paying for a big advertising campaign. They're good guns but their price doesn't reflect the quality in my book.

Ike

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    Sti is one of the best 1911s out there. Not only are they built in Texas but there customer service is outstanding. A great gun that in no way shape or form compares to a kimber. Kimbers in my opinion were great during there series 1 days. There series 2 days and there schwartz safties are doo doo. They changed the kimpro coating and now it is the worst I have ever seen it. My brother kimber warrior had the coating chipping off in his raven holster. Kimber did nothing about it.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Sti is one of the best 1911s out there. Not only are they built in Texas but there customer service is outstanding. A great gun that in no way shape or form compares to a kimber. Kimbers in my opinion were great during there series 1 days. There series 2 days and there schwartz safties are doo doo. They changed the kimpro coating and now it is the worst I have ever seen it. My brother kimber warrior had the coating chipping off in his raven holster. Kimber did nothing about it.

The series 2 guns have had some QC issues, too. I'd go with STI for sure.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    As anyone that's been around this forum knows, I have both. Dollar for dollar, the STI whups Kimber in every category IMO. I'd even go so far as to say that IMO, an STI built 1911 is worth 30% more than a comparable Kimber.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I'm glad I came upon this. I'm looking to get a 1911 this summer. I will keep this in mind. I didn't know we had another gun company in Texas (other than La Rue).

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Kimbers only work for people that either don't shoot nearly enough (in which case a Hi-Point could be consider as "reliable" LOL), or for those that have spent the time, effort, and money fixing the flaws built in to them. Anyone that wants to call BS on that is welcome to shoot with me on the range any time. We'll run some drills, a few specific tests, a respectable round count, and see how it shakes out. I buy the BBQ if you win.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    As anyone that's been around this forum knows, I have both. Dollar for dollar, the STI whups Kimber in every category IMO. I'd even go so far as to say that IMO, an STI built 1911 is worth 30% more than a comparable Kimber.
    I call bs!!! Red dont know nuttin bout nuttin bout 1911s(hide)that commin from him,
    Is a good endorsement,

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    I was looking for a milestone BD gift for my Wife - thought about a Nighthawk Lady Hawk but couldn't find one, let along one hard chromed - I wanted her to "heft", rack the slide, just plain handle something before putting out that sort of money. Then discovered the STI Elektra in 9mm - couldn't find one locally for her to check-out. I called STI and spoke with a very accommodating CS fellow who said "the tours are booked months in advance but if you'd like to drive here I'd be happy to "open the safe" and she can do with any of our products what she cares to do". we made an appointment with the fellow for 11am the next morning. he did "open the (huge) safe" and inside was an example of everything STI makes, including some 2013 models that aren't available to the public yet. she did a complete handling of everything that appealed to her and decided on a Pink Elektra in 9mm. STI of course doesn't sell retail but the CS fellow suggested that we give Cabela's in Buda, Tx a call - we did so before leaving the STI parking lot and sure enough they had "some". my Wife entered Cabela's address in the car's Nav system and off we went. Cabela's Library had a few Pinks in 9mm and a few Blacks in .45. We found the BD gift for my Wife. (but since she's outshooting me in number of guns owned I just couldn't leave there getting further behind - so we drove the 3 hours back home with a new Pink and a new Black STI Elektra. By the way, that 9mm is the smoothest handgun I've ever shot - it's like butter and my Wife loves it ! (sorry but I can't get postings on this site to "paragraph"). sorry too but I'm not familiar with Kimber

Last edited:

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    And don't take my comments out of context (not that anyone has, but just for clarity) - it's NOT that Kimber is that bad - it's that STI is that GOOD, IMO. An' for the record....their safe ain't that big....:cool:

Top Bottom