• ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I was looking for a milestone BD gift for my Wife - thought about a Nighthawk Lady Hawk but couldn't find one, let along one hard chromed - I wanted her to "heft", rack the slide, just plain handle something before putting out that sort of money. Then discovered the STI Elektra in 9mm - couldn't find one locally for her to check-out. I called STI and spoke with a very accommodating CS fellow who said "the tours are booked months in advance but if you'd like to drive here I'd be happy to "open the safe" and she can do with any of our products what she cares to do". we made an appointment with the fellow for 11am the next morning. he did "open the (huge) safe" and inside was an example of everything STI makes, including some 2013 models that aren't available to the public yet. she did a complete handling of everything that appealed to her and decided on a Pink Elektra in 9mm. STI of course doesn't sell retail but the CS fellow suggested that we give Cabela's in Buda, Tx a call - we did so before leaving the STI parking lot and sure enough they had "some". my Wife entered Cabela's address in the car's Nav system and off we went. Cabela's Library had a few Pinks in 9mm and a few Blacks in .45. We found the BD gift for my Wife. (but since she's outshooting me in number of guns owned I just couldn't leave there getting further behind - so we drove the 3 hours back home with a new Pink and a new Black STI Elektra. By the way, that 9mm is the smoothest handgun I've ever shot - it's like butter and my Wife loves it ! (sorry but I can't get postings on this site to "paragraph"). sorry too but I'm not familiar with Kimber

Whisky, go here.....

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/class-iii-nfa/43551-silencer-self-defense-7.html#post650605

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have an STI Lawman that I purchased before I retired and when I had the bux. I couldn't afford one now (about $1400) but I'm glad that I bought it! I would put the quality, precision, accuracy and appearance of the STI Lawman up against any 1911 pistol that I've ever owned or fired.

Like TXR, I've owned a bushel basket of 1911's over the years since 1968 including some very fine custom, competition guns. I don't COLLECT guns so I don't have a large inventory of 1911's, but I've owned a lot of them. The STI Lawman is on the top of the pile in every category!

I had an issue with the non adjustable, (Novak style) rear sight on my Lawman so they said "Send her back in". They modified my slide and installed their latest, adjustable, STI specific, low profile rear sight.........for free! Customer service does NOT get any better than at STI in Georgetown, Texas!

Flash

Last edited:

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    I am a gun dealer. I am also a gunsmith. And I'm a multiple-Master competition shooter. I've worn out two barrels and one slide on my old workhorse .45 ACP learning to shoot (yes, I am a slow learner), and have worn out several more barrels since then. I shoot a little, and most of that is through 1911 pattern guns.

In my opinion, Kimber used to build a good entry-level gun at a decent price. Now, they build entry level guns at prices more suitable for far better products. I do a lot of trigger work on Series II Kimbers and sell a bunch of them...and have yet to find a factory stock gun that I consider marginally acceptable. I prefer working on Citadel or Rock Island over Kimber. Don't ask my opinion on Wilson if you are a fanboy, but that is another rant ;)

Plus, as others noticed, Kimber is not located in America.

I own a lot of guns. I compete with STI, I carry STI, I deal in STI, I build guns on STI parts. If there was anything better, I'd be using that

Alex

Last edited:

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I am a gun dealer. I am also a gunsmith. And I'm a multiple-Master competition shooter. I've worn out two barrels and one slide on my old workhorse .45 ACP learning to shoot (yes, I am a slow learner), and have worn out several more barrels since then. I shoot a little, and most of that is through 1911 pattern guns.

In my opinion, Kimber used to build a good entry-level gun at a decent price. Now, they build entry level guns at prices more suitable for far better products. I do a lot of trigger work on Series II Kimbers and sell a bunch of them...and have yet to find a factory stock gun that I consider marginally acceptable. I prefer working on Citadel or Rock Island over Kimber. Don't ask my opinion on Wilson if you are a fanboy, but that is another rant ;)

Plus, as others noticed, Kimber is not located in America.

I own a lot of guns. I compete with STI, I carry STI, I deal in STI, I build guns on STI parts. If there was anything better, I'd be using that

Alex

/Thread

inceptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    Denton County, Republic of Texas
    I am looking for a full size 1911. I want something close original with night sights. I currently have trijicon on my 1911. It's easier to see at my age. I am open to suggestions.

Did I understand correctly that Cabela's has some of these in stock?

ETA: I guess that was more than a little vague. I thought all had the high beavertail until I saw the GI. Not that basic. I shoot for fun and someday want to get back into competition. I want to spend about $1500 max.

Last edited:

claimbuster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Rowlett, TX
    Had (past tense) four Kimbers, have (present tense) four STI's. A Lawman 3.0 is my EDC. A Ranger II is my bedside gun. A Sentinel Premier and a Trojan are play guns.

Kimbers try to look pretty but that is all they have going. Of my four, the best I had was a SS Target 10mm. I had a Super Carry Pro and it was one of the worst firearms I have ever owned.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Did I understand correctly that Cabela's has some of these in stock?

don't forget that the "telephone" can be your best friend when looking for guns. I've found that Cabela's (along with most everyone else) doesn't keep their websites current

(paragraph - hey, it "worked")

saves gas too

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    The9ine