• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    How often do you plan on using it and how much will you use it each time you cut? Remember ethanol fuel doesn't do any good to a carb that it sits in too long. If it's a once or twice a year thing, you'll have to be sure to use sta-bil or better yet, run it out of fuel each time.

Probably get used once or twice a month or once every other month. Usage could range from a single tree limb to over 20+ trees. I need to clear trees off my property

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Target Sports

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I'd have a few spare chains. New Stihls come with green safety chains. Buy yellow tagged chains for the extra chains. They're more aggressive. They have a colored link in them to tell them apart.

I use used motor oil for bar lube. It doesn't last as long but it's a good way to recycle the oil.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I do the same with used motor oil. I'm not a lumberjack, but It's never let me down. I have a Stihl and a smaller Echo. I use the bottled, non-ethanol fuel. Both saws serve me well.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You'll do fine with the brands you listed.

I bought a cheap homelite when we started our house pad. I cant tell ya how much hell I put that thing through. I even used it to cut up power poles to use for my fence.

It lasted longer than I expected. Take care of what ya get and itll take care of you.

I do enjoy my Stihl edger and trimmer.

My FIL's husqvarna chinasaw is a beast.

Good gas, good bar oil and sharp blade.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Another thought is after several hours of use, take the bar off and take compressed air and a stiff bristle brush and clean the oiling system on the saw body and make sure you don’t have a bunch of packed sawdust up around the clutch and shaft.
    When you put the bar back on, flip it upside down.
    This makes sure that your bar wears evenly and you always get a nice straight up and down cut.

Otherwise, after time, if you never flip the bar, uneven wear makes the saw cut at an angle.

You can file down the bar guide flat to keep it true, but its much easier to just flip it occasionally.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Another thought is after several hours of use, take the bar off and take compressed air and a stiff bristle brush and clean the oiling system on the saw body and make sure you don’t have a bunch of packed sawdust up around the clutch and shaft.
    When you put the bar back on, flip it upside down.
    This makes sure that your bar wears evenly and you always get a nice straight up and down cut.

Otherwise, after time, if you never flip the bar, uneven wear makes the saw cut at an angle.

You can file down the bar guide flat to keep it true, but its much easier to just flip it occasionally.

Any tips for sharpening chains?
    My dad always claimed to use “self sharpening chains”, meanwhile he could barely cut up a single mesquite tree because it would be dull by the end

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Had Stihl, have a Husqvarna 450 at the moment. They're both decent, I think the Husky is easier to start and a little lighter to me but the oiler leaks worse than a Harley

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Or for more fun, use:
    5GGi.gif

Attachments

• 5GGi.gif
      5GGi.gif
      486.2 KB · Views: 355

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I looked at both the Stihl 271 and 261. The 261 is the pro model while the 271 is the “farm boss” model. A big difference I see is the 271 has a lot of plastic in the body where the pro has a metal body in the front
    The 261 also has a decompression valve and a nicer pull cord.
    All things considered, I can’t say the extra $200 for the 261 is worth it for me. I’m no lumberjack, it would only get used a dozen times a year.
    I think the 271 fits the bill. If I need a nicer one down the line I’ll grab the 261
    I have terrible buyers remorse. If there’s any known problems that plague either model, please speak up!

Top Bottom