• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooper

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2020
    Houston Area
    Have owned a Stihl MS250 for 10 years and only use it a few times a year. I'm sure it's just a homeowner model but runs great.

Have always used Stihls synthetic oil even in crumby ethanol gas and starts and runs like the day I bought it.

My Stihl trimmer is over 15 years and running strong. Only replaced the carb and the ignition module...still runs great.
    Gun Zone Deals

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I went by Ace hardware, the closet stihl dealer. The 271 was heavier than I expected but I’m a big dude I think I’ll be fine. The 261 was real nice but I’m gonna save that extra $200 and get a new dewalt drill combo which I’ve been needing as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I'd also check out Harbor Freight for one of their electric chain sharpeners. We bought one about seven or eight years ago, and it has more than paid for itself. Between my brother, my father and myself, we probably have well over thirty chains for saws! That sharpener makes quick work of sharpening chains.

https://www.harborfreight.com/elect...er-63803.html?_br_psugg_q=chain+saw+sharpener

A sharp chain puts less stress, wear and tear on the saw itself. Plus a sharp chain is much safer for the operator.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Yup Stihl is good. As mentioned take care of what you have. I have used some older craftsman saws that are awesome. I don’t know when they got made but very reliable.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I bought the Stihl arbor saw. It has the handle on top, which makes the saw balance pretty awesome. I paid around $325 for it a few years ago. It runs like a champ. Vaq is dead on about the blade and bar. Keep them sharp and you will be cutting lots of stuff with few issues.

I have had four different chain saws, and this one is the best one I have had. Great saw. I won't be cutting down any 20" trees with it. But its pretty light and easy to maneuver. And you dont feel beat up after an afternoon of trimming.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I bought the Stihl arbor saw. It has the handle on top, which makes the saw balance pretty awesome. I paid around $325 for it a few years ago. It runs like a champ. Vaq is dead on about the blade and bar. Keep them sharp and you will be cutting lots of stuff with few issues.

I have had four different chain saws, and this one is the best one I have had. Great saw. I won't be cutting down any 20" trees with it. But its pretty light and easy to maneuver. And you dont feel beat up after an afternoon of trimming.

I saw that one and heard about them too. It was very handy. Would be a good atv saw for handling small stuff. $350 at Ace hardware

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    I went by Ace hardware, the closet stihl dealer. The 271 was heavier than I expected but I’m a big dude I think I’ll be fine. The 261 was real nice but I’m gonna save that extra $200 and get a new dewalt drill combo which I’ve been needing as well

I chose the 261 because I’m older and not as strong as I once was. Plus, I tweak my back every so often, and I’m sometimes using a chainsaw in an awkward position. I think the lighter weight of the 261 is easier to manage in those awkward positions and helps me go longer between rest periods.

If an extra $200 helps me avoid a few weeks of back pain, it’s money well spent. Plus, I just enjoy owning and using professional quality tools.

But the 271/291 are fine saws and will serve you well.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I chose the 261 because I’m older and not as strong as I once was. Plus, I tweak my back every so often, and I’m sometimes using a chainsaw in an awkward position. I think the lighter weight of the 261 is easier to manage in those awkward positions and helps me go longer between rest periods.

If an extra $200 helps me avoid a few weeks of back pain, it’s money well spent. Plus, I just enjoy owning and using professional quality tools.

But the 271/291 are fine saws and will serve you well.

I saw the 291 as well. $50 more for .25 hp extra. Kinda splitting hairs at that point

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    fiskars-pruning-saws-305300-1001-64_300.jpg

Attachments

• fiskars-pruning-saws-305300-1001-64_300.jpg
      fiskars-pruning-saws-305300-1001-64_300.jpg
      4.3 KB · Views: 396

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    If you're cutting down 20 trees a month, contact a firewood company and see if they want to do it for you. Or a guy with a bulldozer and let him clear it all at once. Or rent a bobcat with the tree saw or puller attachment.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    I've owned a bunch of Stihl and Husky chainsaw's over the years. Both will serve you well. I have a 455 Husky right now with an 18" bar,and use the crap out of it.

If you don't have to have it right now,look on ebay. I bought my 455 from a dealer on ebay that included a bunch of extra's for $100 less than what the saw by itself cost locally. Free shipping and had it in 3 days.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I've owned a bunch of Stihl and Husky chainsaw's over the years. Both will serve you well. I have a 455 Husky right now with an 18" bar,and use the crap out of it.

If you don't have to have it right now,look on ebay. I bought my 455 from a dealer on ebay that included a bunch of extra's for $100 less than what the saw by itself cost locally. Free shipping and had it in 3 days.

Reasonable but I’m usually hesitant about buying before holding it. Same goes for guns and such

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Did some more research on the MS261. Turns out it has an electronically controlled carburetor that tunes itself, where as the 271 has the screw tunable kind. Could be a blessing or a burden

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Cleared 100 + acres of fallen tree, thornbush and overgrown fence line. Began with 5 stihls and two huskys. Don’t remember the Stijl sizes ( two) as my FIL bought them. I bought a 455 ranch with a 20” bar. My BIL bought a 450 ranch with a 18” bar. Only sharpened the chains at each refueling. Blew. Out the air filters occasionally. Stihls dropped out one by one. Still have 2 huskys going strong and they did most of the heavy cutting.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom