• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    The real eye opener is when you find out that the people behind the central banking system own the media and are also over represented in our politics. They have a hatred for everything European and white.

Point anything out beyond that and you lose your job and livelihood. Welcome to America in the 2020s

What you say IS the absolute truth. People are afraid of it. Shit, watch how they preyed on the USSR when it had fallen and see who became in control, how, and how Putin came to power. Quite the story.
    Guns International

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Main frames have come a long way reliability wise, and if you have a good system architect then your worries will be few. About the only trouble I ever see is with our tape backup system and that's currently being done away with, soon all backups will be to memory. We have a massive system, we have two main frames mirrored against each other, they are in two separate states, should we lose DFW or vice versa the other will pick up where the downed system left off. They're not even in the room with us anymore, we have them stored in what looks like some kind of nuclear bunker where many big corporations keep their own gear, impressed the heck out of me, they gave us a little tour of the DFW facility once. The facility has diesel generators that can run indefinitely or for as long as the fuel trucks can get through anyway. During the freeze they were on generator power the entire time, never missed a beat. I don't get to see the equipment anymore which makes my job a little more boring, it's for the best though.

When my father was in the AF back in maybe 1967 +/- he took us kids to work one day to show us what he did. In this huge warehouse was the "machine". Never saw so many vacuum tubes in my life! Dad said it ran for maybe fifteen minutes or so before tubes needed replacement somewhere. That my memory any way.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I think it's great for a company that deals with accounting and massive inventories. Mostly a number crunching type of system. At least from my perspective that's the way I see it, I'm sure you programmers could tell us more. It's worked for my company and we are continuing to expand. We're currently a fortune 1000 company so I think it's safe to say we've been successful with it.
    It's about using the appropriate technology for the task, in my honest opinion. Outdated? Well, there's newer technologies that perform the same tasks of course, but if you rip and replace would they do it better? Or just be "newer"? That's a question so many people in my field answer incorrectly. So if it's working, and it's supportable, and it doesn't introduce pain points to the process as time goes by .... well then there's not much justification for replacing it. Sure, the hardware is big, bulky, expensive and supporting it is more complex than a rack of clustered commodity servers. But there's a lot to be said for the familiarity and reliability of well built legacy system.

COBOL may be an old language, but it was a pretty good one for its time. As development languages/platforms have grown more complex and higher order, they introduce more ropes for programmers to hang themselves with.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    When my father was in the AF back in maybe 1967 +/- he took us kids to work one day to show us what he did. In this huge warehouse was the "machine". Never saw so many vacuum tubes in my life! Dad said it ran for maybe fifteen minutes or so before tubes needed replacement somewhere. That my memory any way.

Years ago in our old facility they still had a bunch of those program paper punch cards in a closet. I remember asking a guy what those were for, I couldn't believe they ran programs that way. We also had an old Nova system, this thing was used back in the day before large amounts of data could FTP to our private owned stores. The thing was made out of cast iron and stood about as tall as a refrigerator. All it did was make copies of update data and wrote it onto floppy disks. I would load the the thing up with floppies and then load up a magnetic reel tape and then issue the command to copy the program onto the floppies. Lol, they made things to last back then. By back then I'm talking about the late nineties, amazing how far we've come. My company was really cheap back then and hung onto a lot of outdated systems. IBM finally put their foot down and stopped supporting a lot of the junk we tried to hang on to. Things got way better for us after that.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    It's about using the appropriate technology for the task, in my honest opinion. Outdated? Well, there's newer technologies that perform the same tasks of course, but if you rip and replace would they do it better? Or just be "newer"? That's a question so many people in my field answer incorrectly. So if it's working, and it's supportable, and it doesn't introduce pain points to the process as time goes by .... well then there's not much justification for replacing it. Sure, the hardware is big, bulky, expensive and supporting it is more complex than a rack of clustered commodity servers. But there's a lot to be said for the familiarity and reliability of well built legacy system.

COBOL may be an old language, but it was a pretty good one for its time. As development languages/platforms have grown more complex and higher order, they introduce more ropes for programmers to hang themselves with.

My company is wanting to leave the mainframe due to the fact that's it's tough and expensive to keep and find programmers and personnel to support the system. So far they've failed to find anything to replace it, they even hired a firm to investigate and I heard through the grapevine that it was going to be a monumental job to replace it all and they gave up shortly afterward. I think they're still trying though, we've got a lot of offshore programming going on now which worries me just a bit. I still have a loooong ways to go before I can retire. Would hate to leave my comfy spot.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    My company is wanting to leave the mainframe due to the fact that's it's tough and expensive to keep and find programmers and personnel to support the system. So far they've failed to find anything to replace it, they even hired a firm to investigate and I heard through the grapevine that it was going to be a monumental job to replace it all and they gave up shortly afterward. I think they're still trying though, we've got a lot of offshore programming going on now which worries me just a bit. I still have a loooong ways to go before I can retire. Would hate to leave my comfy spot.

The amount of money it will cost them to replace the system and the support personnel is staggering.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Just got a letter from the IRS. Gulp, ass pucker, poured an adult beverage sat down to avoid falling all the way to the ground at the shock of the inevitable ass reaming I was about to endure.

It was notification, dated march 1st that my last stimulus was being deposited into my bank account. Government efficiency in action
    2 months after the fact. Lol

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Just got a letter from the IRS. Gulp, ass pucker, poured an adult beverage sat down to avoid falling all the way to the ground at the shock of the inevitable ass reaming I was about to endure.

It was notification, dated march 1st that my last stimulus was being deposited into my bank account. Government efficiency in action
    2 months after the fact. Lol
    Oh my next one is scheduled on the 17th.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    The amount of money it will cost them to replace the system and the support personnel is staggering.

That's what I was told by one of our programmers that was in the know. I sure hope it stays that way, I can't help but worry just a bit. I should probably start looking into other fields as a backup plan.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    I got this one today. It’s from 4 days in the future. Who knew they could pass the bill print the letters and mail um so you recv it so quick.
    a11d0d21716188722d5efc5cb018a4ce.jpg

Me thinks we was once again scammed by those we vote to office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom